what to do with humming CA 640A V2 - mend / sell or buy a new amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My amp is humming through the speakers (as per another thread) and I just spoke to richer sounds and their engineer. He thinks that the output transistors or devices are shot, and it may well damage the speakers (epos M5).

He said it would be £90 to £100 to mend it. I only paid £200 for it, as it was a demo one.

Do I get it mended? Sell it as is? Get a second hand amp, or anyother sugestions?

Oh yeh, it is out of waranty, so I have to pay for it if I am going to send it off!!

A

Anonymous

seduct10n:My amp is humming through the speakers (as per another thread) and I just spoke to richer sounds and their engineer. He thinks that the output transistors or devices are shot, and it may well damage the speakers (epos M5).

He said it would be £90 to £100 to mend it. I only paid £200 for it, as it was a demo one.

Do I get it mended? Sell it as is? Get a second hand amp, or anyother sugestions?

Oh yeh, it is out of waranty, so I have to pay for it if I am going to send it off!!

Quite frankly, my best guess is that it's not the amp that's to blame. When you mentioned also hearing the hum on your other stereo system in the bedroom (on the other thread),you effectively ruled out that's an amp problem; more than likely it's the mains that's to blame.

To be completely sure the amp is actually faulty, take it to a friends house -outside your neighborhood-, plug it in and listen for a hum.

First make sure where the fault lies before taking action!

A

Anonymous

Solomon1:seduct10n:My amp is humming through the speakers (as per another thread) and I just spoke to richer sounds and their engineer. He thinks that the output transistors or devices are shot, and it may well damage the speakers (epos M5).

Quite frankly, my best guess is that it's not the amp that's to blame. When you mentioned also hearing the hum on your other stereo system in the bedroom (on the other thread),you effectively ruled out that's an amp problem; more than likely it's the mains that's to blame.

To be completely sure the amp is actually faulty, take it to a friends house -outside your neighborhood-, plug it in and listen for a hum.

First make sure where the fault lies before taking action!

Superb bit of advise - take it to a friends or families or work and test it there...you may be suprised at the results! When output transistors are shot, they (as far as I know) do not make a buzzing sound...it's more likely a power transformer fault if the amp is to blame.

A

Anonymous

It's worth disconnecting everything connected to the amp. I feared the worst when my Pioneer A400 developed a hum, but eventually traced the source to a Pioneer DVD player. The audio ouputs were connected to the amp and the player was connected to a CRT television. I disconnected the DVD player - hum gone.

Also, watch out for mains adaptors and chargers nearby. Some laptop chargers give off really nasty electrical interference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts