What to do with a pair of Dynaudio Audience 40s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

Looking for some advice with regards to a pair of Dynaudio Audience 40s. I love these speakers and sound but need to pair them with a new gear. The specs on these things are high so am having a hard time knowing what to do with them or what to match them with.

Never been good with the numbers....I just know what I like the sound of.

Now I have a few challenges with this:

I would like it to have a small system / footprint as I am moving into a very small apartment soon.
I have most of my music stored in iTunes as Apple lossless and would like to use airplay or other streaming solution
It would be good to have a cd player but not totally necessary right away as might add later when budget permits.
Budget ...isn't it for everyone!!!!

Now I have heard the Cyrus 6xp would be a great amp... small footprint, meant to sound great and could drive these speakers???[class="Apple-style-span"] (The numbers seem to small to me) but thats really at the top end of my budget. Not to mention it is only the amp and not the rest of the function I require. That is more of a total budget give or take a bit.[/class]

So what do people think or recommend .... I had been looking at the Marantz M-CR502 but not sure if it could handle the speakers ??/ Does anyone know ?? Might be easier for me to off load the Dynaudio's and start again which seems a shame... or have speakers moved on so much now that I should??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.... thanks guys.

A

Anonymous

Personally I'd look for a decent 2nd hand Cyrus 8vs2 and add a DAC and then use iTunes as your source

The 8vs2 is still a cracking amp and it'll drive the Dyn's well
emotion-11.gif

A

Anonymous

Will look into that one... Hadn't really considered the 2nd market.

The Dyno's are so hard to buy for due to their specs.

Hence why I had even thought of giving up on them.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i think an 8vs2 would drive the dynaudios better than a 6xp, you could add a dac for computer listening and a psxr in the future to improve the amp even more. if your in the northwest xtensha you could listen to mine with your speakers if you like.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
hifilover1979:

Personally I'd look for a decent 2nd hand Cyrus 8vs2 and add a DAC and then use iTunes as your source

The 8vs2 is still a cracking amp and it'll drive the Dyn's well
emotion-11.gif

Agreed. You should have no trouble finding a good Cyrus 8VS2; maybe even an ex demo if you look hard. Don't get rid of the Dynaudios. You would have to spend a lot of money to better them given their small size, even considering their age.

A

Anonymous

Hi Bluebrazil,

Unfortunately not in the Northwest not even close :) but thank you for the very generous offer. Seems everyone here thinks that a 2nd hand 8 is the way to go which is good to know. I love the Dynaudios and don't want to give them up. It would cost a lot to replace them which seems wasteful.

I'm not in the UK and unfortunately Cryus gear is really over priced compared to what it costs in the UK. I love there stuff and it really does fit the bill but to give you an idea the Cryus 8 xp is listed as 1250 pounds which converts to 2000 Dollars here. But to buy it from a local retailer here costs 3300 Dollars... huge mark up for being an import.

I am really glad people are giving me a heads up about the 6 as I had been considering raising my budget and getting 6xp & cd6se package deal which seems like a real winner. Of course if the 6 is lacking the power for the Dynaudios its not a great deal.

I was going to run an Apple TV 2 through a dac to take care of the streaming from iTunes side. Any ideas on some good Dacs.... I really don't know what is great in that space at all.

A

Anonymous

It is my understanding that the 42s replaced the 40s and are very similar. So good to know to avoid the 6xp... I had been giving it serious consideration so thanks for the heads up.

A

Anonymous

I'd try Naim myself - much better amps than Cyrus, not as lean and not as bright either, but just as detailed.

A 5i should do the trick. I heard one with a 42 once and it was a pretty good combination.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash:

I'd try Naim myself - much better amps than Cyrus, not as lean and not as bright either, but just as detailed.

Rather sweeping statement? I take it you have listened to the latest Cyrus amps? I you have then you will know that they are certainly not lean. I have owned two Naim pre-powers including my current one, and a Cyrus 8XPd integrated, using my current speakers.

The Cyrus is more detailed, images better and has a far lower noise floor than either of the Naim amps I have owned. I happen to prefer the Naim presentation, but does that make Naim better? I don't necessarily think so...

A

Anonymous

I have indeed, with my SFs. To be honest, they're a bit mid-fi to me, in other words nothing special but will probably power a decent range of speakers adequately.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts