What to buy next?

Jpb1882

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi this is my first post after years of reading what hifi.
Am looking at updating my setup but unsure which way to go, I currently have marantz pm6003 and cd6003 with my old b&w 601 s2 speakers. Got the 6003's a couple of years ago to replace older marantz and was a big improvement, love the detail and clarity particularly with vocals but still feel the need for a bit more punch on some music.

So I have been looking at replacing the b&w's as they are now 17 years old. Am torn between the monitor audio bronze 2 and dali zensor 3. But then have also been wondering if maybe I should try something different to the marantz or maybe their 6005 series.

What would seem to be the logical next upgrade?

I listen to different genres so would like a good all rounder but mainly rock music from older indie stuff to heavier rock.

Cheers for any comments

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the 6005 will be much of an improvement to the 6003. Speakers can make a big difference to the sound, I would go and audition some with the Marantz 6005 or 6006 which will be very similar to your 6003.

Jpb1882

Jun 23, 2016
Visit site
Ok thanks thats pretty much the way I was thinking but was wondering if I had gone down the wrong route with the marantz as they do as a conpany seem to have a reputation for a laid back sound but I think I just stuck with what I knew. the 6003's sounded more to my liking in reviews and they have helped a lot though, and there are many qualities in my setup I dont want to lose.

Will give the ma's and dalis a listen, does anyone know which might be more suited to what im looking for -keep detail but add punch and a more "solid" sound when things get heavier- and is there any other standmounters of similar size and price I should be considering?

Cheers

Hi Jpb1982

I'll recommend holding on to the 601S2's and changing the amp first. Look out for the excellent Rotel RA-1062 on the used market. The RA-1062 forms and excellent tonal match with 601S2's and will also grip, drive and energise the speakers far more effectively at almost any comparable listening level. The quality of performance and power offered by the RA-1062 will then also pave the way nicely for a future speaker upgrade to a pair such as Bronze 2's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS