What to buy next: Amp then Sub...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Thanks, not thought about the AVC-A1HD but could stretch that far.

No one is mentioning Arcam stuff, when I got the last lot of gear Arcam was highly recc. Something changed?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Dak:Thanks, not thought about the AVC-A1HD but could stretch that far.

No one is mentioning Arcam stuff, when I got the last lot of gear Arcam was highly recc. Something changed?

Arcam stuff doesn't really compete with the bigger Jap companies (in A/V), because of the lack of features. The Jap companies knock out new lines and upgrades almost continuously, but Arcam being smaller updates only rarely, and in the world of A/V amps, when they do bring something out, it's probably already outdated.

I don't think there's any question marks over Arcam's sound performance though, and if music is a larger priority than movies, you may well decide to take a long listen to Arcam's AVR350 A/V receiver. (Probably pick one up a lot cheaper than list too)

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I need HDMI switching for 4 HDMI ins and 2 outs and unfortunately the Arcam doesnt do that. . .

A

Anonymous

All,
Some developments that I would like some add in and get some more views from you. Okay, I am about to move house and the cinema area will be one end of a 40ft by 25ft room. Hard to describe but if I sit and look at the screen in the cinema 'bit' (25ft by 15ft), on my left are patio doors and on my right three steps down into the rest of the lounge. I explain this in case it affects the sound. Basically I blew my previous budget on speakers and still need an AV-AMP.

Gear now is
Sim2 Domino 35
Pioneer PDP428XD 42"

Speakers:
B&W 803D's
B&W HTM2D
Rears M&K K4 tripoles (will get B&W's to replace these)

Sources:
Pioneer DV989
Sony PS3
Virgin Cable Hi-Def
XBOX
Arcam RDock

Amps
Pioneer AX5i driving centre and rears

I need an Amp and source that does the AV switching, can cope with the B&W's and cover the gamut of movies and sport as well as classical, Jazz and Rock. And some noise the kids listen to.

Budget for AV Amp £5k MAX, less is better.
Budget for Source (probably a Bluray that is musical too) £3k MAX, less better.

To match the B&W's my dealer is steering me towards Naim (Amp+AV2+power amp). My problem with this is the lack of switching but mainly the lack of HD Audio. He also raved about the Arcam AVR600 then admitted he hadnt heard it yet.

So, thanks for the previous comments and any new ones gratefully received.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts