What test (supertest) would you like WhatHiFi to do?

D

Deleted member 196306

For me, I'd like to see a shoot-out between the Anthem MRX740 v NAD T 778 v Denon AVR-X2700H.

What about the rest of you. What match-ups would you like in a head-to-head?
I’d like to see that too and more tests with cheaper products against more expensive ones.

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
I'd like to see a mix of Headphones and Stereo/Multichannel DACS and AMPS, speaker and headphones (from a variety of global manufacturers) analytically tested (using an audio analyzer) and the creation of a proper scoring system for products to be weighted on rather than the just the feelings of the person who reviewed it.

To make all reviews fair and objective, to start with, a completely Linear reference setup is needed (DAC, AMP, Headphones and Speakers) to use to identify what the reviewed equipment is doing in the audio chain. All reviewers seem to have their go to favourite equipment they use as a reference which has no bearing at all on how much the sound is skewed or altered if not tested with other completely linear equipment to begin with. You could then test say with other warmer or colder equipment as part of comparisons. It would also make it much easier if this method was used to test headpones and speaker systems to understand more about what we are buying.

In addition by using an analyzer, it would also help to identify weak equipment that shouldn't be on the market and might help to usher in genuine improvement in the audio industry.

Scores could be weighted off a mixture of things such as connectivity options, performance, build quality, price, comfort, ease of installation etc. All things that are measurable as well as the impressions of the reviewer.

It would create a much more standardized and measurable review which would be more beneficial to us who are shopping for audio products. One of the things i've noticed on these forums is how many of us are recommending and using equipment that isn't tested on WHF that we've all researched ourselves or purchased and, disagree with some of the best buy recommendations based on what we know is out their globally in the audio world.

Reactions: AJM1981

jjbomber

One of the things i've noticed on these forums is how many of us are recommending and using equipment that isn't tested on WHF that we've all researched ourselves or purchased and, disagree with some of the best buy recommendations based on what we know is out their globally in the audio world.
Indeed. Sometimes it's a joy to go into a hi-fi dealers and just discover something new. Then we rush on here to recommend it to one and all.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
A super test of the quality of paper and print in Hifi magazines ... .

I just bought 3 mags, including this one for the first time in about 7 years and am amazed at the thin paper and bad colour print quality all whilst prices have gone up. - I think they used to be better but can't really remember.

I suggest a blind test for the feel ...

Reactions: nopiano

jjbomber

A super test of the quality of paper and print in Hifi magazines ... .

I just bought 3 mags, including this one for the first time in about 7 years and am amazed at the thin paper and bad colour print quality all whilst prices have gone up. - I think they used to be better but can't really remember.

I suggest a blind test for the feel ...
3 for £3 if you subscribe at the moment. Bargain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts