What subwoofer?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The heart of my home cinema system is an Onkyo TX-SR605. I have two iQ5's as fronts, two iQ1's as rears (on Atacama Nexus 5 speaker stands) and the Kef HTS 3001 center (center from the Kef 3005 style package).

The only thing I still need is a subwoofer. It seems like the Kef subwoofers are not reviewed favourably in What Hifi.

I know the Wharfedale SW150 should make a great sub, but frankly I think it looks too plain/classic. I have a high gloss black Samsung LCD and my Kef center makes a great match. I have seen pictures of the new Kef Kube 1 and I like it a lot. But how does it sound? Are the SW150 and Kef Kube 1 appropriate to combine with my other speakers? I get the feeling their 150W wouldn't deliver enough juice. Would I need 250W like the Wharfedale SW250 (which is also more pleasing to the eye)?

andyblade

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi
I have iq5's and purchased the sw-150 beginning of last month (all linked to a Yamaha RX-N600D), and I can't praise it enough, it works well with the iq5's and I wouldn't worry about oomph, the sub is turned up about half way and still rattles glasses in the kitchen, ours is probable about a 6 meter sq room, and if I turn the sub up full it destroys the kef's.

If you do get any of the Wharfedale's it I'd be interested to know what you set the crossover to, as I'm playing to see which setting integrates best with the iq5s at the moment.

My next purchase is the iq2c centre speaker, followed by iq1 for the rears, so my final setup will be similar to yours, what stands are you using for the rears?

Regards

A

Anonymous

I use Atacama Nexus 5 stands in black. Their height is 50cm, the iQ1's are 30cm high, matched together they have the same height as the iQ5's. Very nice stands, were rated 5 stars in WhatHifi a few years back.

I myself was in doubt between the iQ2c or 6c as a centre. The 6c cost twice as much as the 2c if I remember correctly. But the dealer I visited gave me a demo of the HTS-3001 center and I liked it a lot. Wasn't much more then the 2c and it was a little more pronounced. The HTS-3001 center has additional 75mm (3in.) bass drivers compared to the iQ2c, and uses the same Uni-Q driver.

Will probably opt for the SW150 in black if I see a great deal somewhere

andyblade

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for that.

I did consider the 6c as well, but same as you looked at the price and wasn't sure, also wasn't sure if it would match with the iq5's right. I'll also go and have a look at the 3001 now.

The link below only had the black one in and were doing it for £169 about 3 weeks ago, looks like they have got more stock in an knocked the price back up to £195, but you might be able to make them an offer.

http://www.hifisuppliers.co.uk/website/subwoofer/wharfedale-sw150.htm

I wanted the beech and the best price I found was £200, got my from Superfi who did a professional job.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2208

A

Anonymous

also have a look at bk elec subs! the monolith is a beast! great if you dont like the folkes next door

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts