What Sub would fit in with my system best

A

Anonymous

No idea what they sound like but they are clearly great subs that are far out of my budget, I tend to think regardless of budget it's generally best to stick to the same make with speakers though with the sub it can be less important.

The only thing as far as I can see is whether the styling of the B&W would be in keeping with your home decor, if you live on the starship Enterprise then it's bang on but it wouldn't fit into most peoples homes without looking out of place IMO.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jasonsony735:I want to buy Subwoofer ,

Monitor Audio RSW12 or B&W PV1

What one would fit best in my system ?

I've not heard the PV1. However, the RSW12 is a beast - probably my favourite thing I've bought! A gloss black one will look good with the rest of your stuff. The PV1's looks are great if you like that sort of thing but it's a couple of hundred pounds more and you can't use it as a phone table like I do!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
jasonsony735:I want to buy Subwoofer , Monitor Audio RSW12 or B&W PV1 What one would fit best in my system ?

I've got the MA RSW12 with the 684 fronts HTM62 centre and DS3 rears, it's a beast of a sub and fits in well with my system.
I think you need to go and hear both before you decide as the PV1 is highly rated and if it's look suit your room.
RSW12 is a fair few DVDs or BDs cheaper though.

A

Anonymous

PV1 all the way, it has won the What HiFi awards, they said there is 'nothing' wrong with it, the monitor audio is a beast, but the bass from the PV1 is higher quality (My personal opinion). With the PV1, you may not get the most bass for your money, but the sub has great timing, it's lean, low, fast, and fantastic. The Monitor Audio is good, but the PV1 has the edge!

A

Anonymous

according to the guys on another forum , the bk monolith is far superior to both the pv1 and rsw12, and a fair bit cheaper.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
fowler:according to the guys on another forum , the bk monolith is far superior to both the pv1 and rsw12, and a fair bit cheaper.

And WHF haven't even reviewed the Monolith. The PV1 is held in high regard with HFC too - which goes against the forum you talk about Fowler, as the PV1 is particularly poorly thought of on that one.

I can only go with what I've listened to. I've heard the lesser B&W subs (that go with the MT20 system) and my old Jamo sub. The RSW12 is totally in another league to those.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:fowler:according to the guys on another forum , the bk monolith is far superior to both the pv1 and rsw12, and a fair bit cheaper.

And WHF haven't even reviewed the Monolith. The PV1 is held in high regard with HFC too - which goes against the forum you talk about Fowler, as the PV1 is particularly poorly thought of on that one.

I can only go with what I've listened to. I've heard the lesser B&W subs (that go with the MT20 system) and my old Jamo sub. The RSW12 is totally in another league to those.i decided on a bkxls300 (its the sub below a monolith in the bk range)after auditioning a rsw12, and theres nothing between them, its £350 cheaper as well. im not saying the pv1 or rsw12 are bad subs, im just saying in my opinion you can get the same performance if not better elsewhere for less money.

daveh75

Gerrardasnails:daveh75:

Also worth taking a look at the BK monolith, it's also a beast of a sub, will give the rsw12 more than a run for it's money and its 300 notes cheaper than the rsw12.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df.htm

And it's about a foot cubed bigger!It's not called the "Monolith" for nothing.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

The monolith is a beast swmbo made me get rid of mine due to the size :( but my god what a sub, i used to get sub 15hz stuff from my mono (tested using REW software)
Couldnt recomend one enough if you have the room and your after preformance over looks

It made a mockery of my MJ ref200

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
another reccomendation for the Monolith from me!

it is a beast and for the price you cannot get better. it walks all over subs twice the price :)

A

Anonymous

Sorry to put a spanner in the works. In Depth Review on the PV1 - http://www.avtalk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16699

I have found this website very helpful when looking at subwoofers. It stopped me from buying the B&W 825...........You shall see why.....

Hope it helps anyway

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
basshead:

it is a beast and for the price you cannot get better. it walks all over subs twice the price :)

I don't doubt it's a great sub. Some times, making things smaller but keeping the quality is how the price is made more expensive. The Monolith's dimensions, 420mm x 604 x 540 and 46.75kg compared to the RSW12 at 340 x 340 x 370 and 25.5kg. It's a bit big to hide away behind a sofa and way too big to show off as a bit of kit in my opinion. I'm sure the makers could make it in a smaller box but would make the cost rise.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Vinny7:
Sorry to put a spanner in the works. In Depth Review on the PV1 - http://www.avtalk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=16699

I have found this website very helpful when looking at subwoofers. It stopped me from buying the B&W 825...........You shall see why.....

Hope it helps anyway

This is the forum Fowler was talking about I suspect. I know that I would take more credance from a WHF and HFC review than from this website. They both love the PV1.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:basshead:

I don't doubt it's a great sub. Some times, making things smaller but keeping the quality is how the price is made more expensive. The Monolith's dimensions, 420mm x 604 x 540 and 46.75kg compared to the RSW12 at 340 x 340 x 370 and 25.5kg. It's a bit big to hide away behind a sofa and way too big to show off as a bit of kit in my opinion. I'm sure the makers could make it in a smaller box but would make the cost rise.the bk xls300 dimensions are 380 400 350 and 25kg, its pretty close to the rsw12 and £350 cheaper.the reason there so cheap is because you buy direct from bk .

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails: I don't doubt it's a great sub. Some times, making things smaller but keeping the quality is how the price is made more expensive

I personally don't think MA have matched the Monolith's performance. I'd been thinking of buying the RSW12 for a while (to match my RS6's) but after hearing a Monolith the RSW12 idea was well and truly binned. The missus still prefers the RSW, so I guess a pair of shoes will have to be added to the shopping list too
emotion-1.gif

I think the smaller enclosures of the RSW12, and especially the PV1, must hurt them in comparison with bigger boxes of similar quality. I just don't see how the smaller subs could go as deep.

This is the forum Fowler was talking about I suspect. I know that I would take more credance from a WHF and HFC review than from this website. They both love the PV1

Think there might be another one (or two) where it's popular too! I know mentioning certain other forums is bad form, but the most interesting sub tests I've seen have been done by a chap called Ilkka. Those are worth a Google, as they are a bit more techie, for those that like that kinda thing
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts