Hi,

New to this forum...my very first thread. Need some advise.

I have a Musical Fidelity M3si amp and looking for a new pair of speakers for it.
I have a large space and looking for floorstanders.
Not alot of budget but hope to keep it low - no more than $1500 .

Narrowed down to

1) Wharfedale 230
2) Tannoy XT6
3) B&W 683 S2
4) KEF Q500 (R series breaks my budget)

Appreciate your recommendations and opinions.

Thanks!

Ben

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Benjamin yeo said:
Hi,

I have a Musical Fidelity M3si amp and looking for a new pair of speakers for it.I have a large space and looking for floorstanders. Not alot of budget but hope to keep it low - no more than $1500 .

Narrowed down to

1) Wharfedale 2302) Tannoy XT63) B&W 683 S24) KEF Q500 (R series breaks my budget)

Thanks!

Ben

Dynaudio Emit M30 should be nice with the amp.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
How large is large?

What's more important, speakers being new with a gaurantee or better sounding speakers for the money?

What's more important, looks combined with small speaker size or sound quality?

What genres of music do you listen to most?

Where in the world do you live?

Blackdawn said:
Benjamin yeo said:
Hi,

I have a Musical Fidelity M3si amp and looking for a new pair of speakers for it.I have a large space and looking for floorstanders. Not alot of budget but hope to keep it low - no more than $1500 .

Narrowed down to

1) Wharfedale 2302) Tannoy XT63) B&W 683 S24) KEF Q500 (R series breaks my budget)

Thanks!

Ben

They would but are over his budget.

Out of those on the list I would go for the Tannoy but would urge an audition. Can we assume the OP is in the States?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I have, and can certainly vouch for, the Q700.... They need a little work on positioning to get the best out of them, but they really do sound great for the money. Retail in the UK is £1000, so I'm sure they can be had for roughly your budget in the U.S...

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Blackdawn said:
Benjamin yeo said:
Hi,

Narrowed down to

Thanks!

Ben

Out of those on the list I would go for the Tannoy but would urge an audition. Can we assume the OP is in the States?

The Emit M30's and b&w 683s2 and Dali Opticon 6's are roughly the same price.

To the op. You mention Tannoy xt6. Do you in fact mean the floostanding version xt6f? These are similar price to the orhers i mentioned but the Wharfedales are much cheaper.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
How large is large?

What's more important, speakers being new with a gaurantee or better sounding speakers for the money?

Think about what lindsayt is saying to you. Dont think that new speakers in that budget will be all that great. Think Cheap mass produced drivers(high company overheads). We have a post in this regard not so long ago.

What he is saying is you can get a lot more bang for buck second hand (sound quality)

Blackdawn said:
Al ears said:
Blackdawn said:
Benjamin yeo said:
Hi,

Narrowed down to

Thanks!

Ben

The Emit M30's and b&w 683s2 and Dali Opticon 6's are roughly the same price.

To the op. You mention Tannoy xt6. Do you in fact mean the floostanding version xt6f? These are similar price to the orhers i mentioned but the Wharfedales are much cheaper.

If he is in the States he isn't going to get them for under $1500.

If he is not in the States perhaps it would be best to wait until we know where he is before suggesting speakers he cannot get to audition.

We need to know how he compiled that list in the first place.

Andrewjvt said:
lindsayt said:
How large is large?

Think about what lindsayt is saying to you. Dont think that new speakers in that budget will be all that great. Think Cheap mass produced drivers(high company overheads). We have a post in this regard not so long ago.

What he is saying is you can get a lot more bang for buck second hand (sound quality)

He may be right but I don't think it is good advice to give necessarily, especially to a newbie. The major pit falls of second hand is actual condition and the fact you cannot usually get to audition them before purchase. Not wise!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
That's why I was asking, not telling.

And Al ears, I bet I can come up with some 2nd hand speaker that I've never heard before that will sound better than all the speakers on his original list. And you are forgetting: buy 2nd hand at the right price. If you don't like them - for ANY reason, sell them on for the same price or more than you paid for them.

It all depends if the original poster values newness, gaurantees, looks, size, over sound quality for the money. Plus how easily he can access a good dealer or the 2nd hand market for speakers. None of which we know the answers to, at the moment.

lindsayt said:
That's why I was asking, not telling.

And Al ears, I bet I can come up with some 2nd hand speaker that I've never heard before that will sound better than all the speakers on his original list. And you are forgetting: buy 2nd hand at the right price. If you don't like them - for ANY reason, sell them on for the same price or more than you paid for them.

It all depends if the original poster values newness, gaurantees, looks, size, over sound quality for the money. Plus how easily he can access a good dealer or the 2nd hand market for speakers. None of which we know the answers to, at the moment.

I knew you were lindsayt, it was the others jumping on the bandwagon and suggesting speakers way over the OPs budget. When he says recommendations and opinions I assumed he meant about those speakers on his shortlist.

Whilst I also agree second-hand bargains are there to be had I did want to point out the value of auditioning. This could reduce the hassle of trying to sell them on if it turns out you don't like them. That buying and selling on scenario can turn into a bit of a marathon.

As you state too many unanswered questions yet to be able to make valid recommendations. Hopefully Ben will get back soon with some answers.

His original list does seem a bit odd if he is based in the States, with no 'home grown' and often cheaper US speakers on it.

Thank you all for the replies!

1) Travelling job, most postings in Asia but now permanently based in United States. Just moved into a new home, plan to setup the equipment in the living room which is roughly 25ft by 18ft.
2) Got the MF M3si in the States but heard them in Hong Kong. It replaced a room hifi setup of Kef Q100 speakers, a Sony Blu ray player and a old Marantz amp(220v) which cannot be used in the States. Now using the MF with the Q100 while deciding for a better pair of Speakers.
3) Have friends who appreciate HiFi/good quality music. Tagged along with them to amp/speakers auditions multiple times and caught the bug along the way. Consider myself as newbie as i never had a proper setup nor the know-hows.
4) When in Asia, was exposed to mostly British brands which is why i have no American brands in the list.
5) I like sound quality over loudness/more bass.
6) Listen to jazz/blues, symphony, enjoy good vocals and ocassionaly pop music and radio.
7) Generally like the sound of KEF and Wharfedale.
8) Not able to audition most of the speakers as there are not many HiFi places where i staying.
For those near me, they don't carry many british brands. The only 2 brands that i can audition is the B&W and Wharfedale.
that also depends on the models available.
9) So it will be an online purchase if i go for any other brands except B&W, Wharfedale, Martin Logon, Polk audio, Boston and maybe the Dynaudio.
10) Budget - if i stick with the Q100 for awhile longer maybe i can stretch the budget abit more.

Wharfedale 230 - $799(Pair)
Wharfedale 240 - $1199(Pair)
B&W 683 S2 - $825(Each)
KEF Q700 - $750(Each)
KEF Q500 - $550(Each)
Tannoy XT6F - $950(Each)

Thanks!

Ben

matthewpiano

Do you like the basic sound signature of the Q100s? If so, one of the Q-Series floorstanding models would make sense as a relatively safe purchase. You would get greater scale, and extension, but a similar presentation.

I am of the opinion that Lindsayt's approach of exploring second hand speakers is a potentially fruitful way to go, and I have little doubt that you could comfortably get something much more involving and interesting for your money, particularly given your tastes in music.

Thanks Ben. That is still good sized room and by your reckoning the XT6F's are over your budget are they not?

However they would be my recommended pairing apart from looking at second hand. If you can audition Wharfdale / B&W then I would do so but don't disregard the US brands like the Golden Ear Triton 7 Tower etc.

I wait a few more months, save a little more? Say $2500-$3k?
Would the list change drastically?

I can't audition most speakers so Buy new or second hand..not much different. However, not even sure if there's any second hand market here since I hardly find British brand first hand.

Forgot to add, I also like live music concert on Blu ray.

Thanks!

rainsoothe

I'd say save money for a later time and get a pair of Focal Aria 926 or, if you can reach that budget, a pair of Revel Performa floorstanders (should be cheaper for you, since you can buy from the US). Different league from the others.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Benjamin, for your room and your taste in music, these speakers are World Class:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UREI-813C-SPEAKERS-VINTAGE-RARE-QUALITY-SOUND-FAR-FIELD-MONITORS-STUDIO-KEPT-/272185096382?hash=item3f5f7ef8be:g:csEAAOSwG-1WyHxg#

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Model-19-Studio-Monitors-Redesigned-/121926560572?hash=item1c6363ab3c:g:f4YAAOSwZ8ZW5xe~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Klipschorn-Loud-Speaker-System-/201546928269?hash=item2eed22108d:g:d~QAAOSws4JW8Ygh

The ones in your list will sound very so so when compared to these in your room.

These would be OK too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-4425-Bi-Radial-Studio-Monitors-/291676044128?hash=item43e93f3b60:g:2HsAAOSwYHxWPiAM

And these are an absolute steal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ramsdell-Pro-Audio-15-3-Way-Cabinet-with-JBL-EV-Components-Pair-/201453746425?hash=item2ee79438f9:g:jvIAAOSw9mFWKSM5

At $600 you will have a huge grin on your face every time you compare them to any of the speakers on your list.

These are just a few examples. America is a buyers market for great sounding speakers for rooms as large as yours. Forget about the shut-in British designs for your music in your room.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For solid state amplification, these will do a job:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UREI-MODEL-6230-POWER-AMPLIFIER-/281956753967?hash=item41a5eea22f:g:F2wAAOSwSdZWf9Am

Especially if you get sources with balanced outputs.

No need for a stupid linestage. Do not buy Musical Fidelity.

The looks of the speakers - my wife rejected all of them.
Told me if i need to spend that kind of money, at least be good looking.
She also told me that the room may be big, but i have to place the setup
in either the right half or the left half of the room. So space is still there just that placement is on either side.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts