What speakers for Arcam?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly this is my first thread, however I have been buying the mag for over 15 years!

I have just bought ab Arcam Solo Mini and was recommended the Wharfdale 10.1's.

However when I went to another retailer for speaker cable, they said I should be spending £600 - £700 to get the best out of the Arcam.

Is this correct, they said Dynauadio, Spendor and B&W CM1's?

Its only used as a second system in a small ( 8x12 foot) room

Any advise appreciated

Ian

IDB:

Firstly this is my first thread, however I have been buying the mag for over 15 years!

I have just bought ab Arcam Solo Mini and was recommended the Wharfdale 10.1's.

However when I went to another retailer for speaker cable, they said I should be spending £600 - £700 to get the best out of the Arcam.

Is this correct, they said Dynauadio, Spendor and B&W CM1's?

Its only used as a second system in a small ( 8x12 foot) room

Any advise appreciated

Ian

Hi Ian

From personal experience, Arcam and Dynos are not good bedfellows. Depends on budget, but i would look at starting with Monitor Audio BR2. Arcam are very much a synergy-reliant amplifiers, hence why I mentioned MA's.

B&W are a good mix but the B&W's need a fair amount of power to make the most of them. The maximum I would spend is no more than £1,000. Top of this figure, for around £900 (although s/hand is nearer your budget) is the Ruark Sabre III. As long as your room isn't too large they should do the job nicely.

Messiah

IDB:

Maybe to get the 'best' out of the Arcam you could buy some £100k speakers! I'm sure the dealer was being helpful but c'mon.

Sure, speakers at that price level will sound better than those at a third of the price. However, if it is being used as a second system then really it's up to you to decide how much you spend. The Wharefdales may be ideal for your needs so I would certainly look at this price range to start of with. If you are happy with a speaker at this price then great!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I personally would go for some AVI Neutrons, at £4 - 500. No point in spending more, but I also think you can do better than BR2s or Diamonds.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
In fact I know this seller and he's a good man. Bought 2 pairs of speakers off him myself, one had a damaged grille, and there were no qualms in getting me a new one free of charge.

Get in there quick at this price and you really won't be sorry.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVI-Neutron-5-speakers-new_W0QQitemZ140351945772QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers?hash=item20ada0bc2c#ht_2742wt_1167

A

Anonymous

Cheers so far for the feedback. I know that the Arcam is good for a small system but given its price and the size of room, do you think £400 tops would be ok.

The Wharfdale 10.1's get a fantastic write up but are they in the same league as £400 speakers?

Also can anyone tell me if a metal dome tweeter gives a brighter sound?

I know you shouldn't but during the past 25 years I have always had the treble at 3, so I guess I like a brighter sound!!

Thanks

Ian

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:IDB:However when I went to another retailer for speaker cable, they said I should be spending £600 - £700 to get the best out of the Arcam.
Maybe to get the 'best' out of the Arcam you could buy some £100k speakers! I'm sure the dealer was being helpful but c'mon.

Well if you plug.. arcam solo mini living voice ...into google and select the first result you will find the Arcam Solo-Mini performed extremely well with (then) £2100 Living Voice Auditorium loudspeakers.

I would actually agree with the OP's dealer, having myself used Rega R3's (£500 when new) and heard the Solo Mini performing really well with £698 Rega RS3's on a couple of occasions.

Worry more about getting speakers with high efficiency (90db or close at 8 ohms) than about their cost.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts