What should I upgrade first?

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
1)Change my monitor audio BR5 for RX6?

2)buy a rega appolo cd player instead of using my ps3 for reading cd's?

3)change my rega brio 3 for a naim nait 5i?

Opinions plz :)

A

Anonymous

Lucky man! Spoiled for choice really. I'd get the Apollo first.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Apollo straight away
emotion-2.gif

Have you aloso thought about looking at different speaker cables and interconnects; you havent mentioned what you've got in situ now so would be handy.

Would also be handy to know what music you mainly listen to
emotion-5.gif

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
My hifi dealer also advised me the cambridge audio dac when he heard I used a Ps3 as source. Is it really that bad as a cd player?

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The music I usually listen to is Rap/hiphop/techno and rock.

The combination of the rega brio and the ma BR5 gives a nice tight bass, an ideal system for someone who likes a controlled bass without using a sub. But I think the high isn't as good as I want.

I was under the assumption that upgrading the speakers would give me the best sound upgrade...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The M/A RX6's or 2nd hand M/A RS6's would be a very upgrade as well but IMO they would be much better with better amplification (i.e. Arcam A32, NAD C352 integrated etc...)

For now I'd look at upgrading to the Rega Apollo but dont rule out the NAD C545BEE CDP as well; it's s tunner and can be bought for less than the Rega Apollo but would fit well in to your system and will pair well with your music tastes and the M/A BR5's

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
aliahk:
1)Change my monitor audio BR5 for RX6?

2)buy a rega appolo cd player instead of using my ps3 for reading cd's?

3)change my rega brio 3 for a naim nait 5i?

Opinions plz :)

1) Yes, only if you like the Monitor Audio sound.

2) No, any budget CD player will suffice. It's just not going to make much of a difference in your system.

3) Depends, if you've heard it and liked it.

A

Anonymous

aliahk:My hifi dealer also advised me the cambridge audio dac when he heard I used a Ps3 as source. Is it really that bad as a cd player?

One word. YES (at least I think so).

The PS3 probably does not have very good analogue outs, as it was designed to hookup to a receiver or a TV via HDMI (and it was built with a tight cost envelope in mind). This makes it difficult to integrate into an analogue hifi system without a good DAC. I'd purchase the CDP first if I were you, followed by the speakers.

limbok

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Many people have commented on changing the CD player but I would say
changing all 3 depending on your budget needs to be planned out so your system components match. You said you liked Rap/Hip Hop etc, which means you probably like a lot of bass, so its best matching your amp to fit your music tastes and build on that. Amp and speakers will make the biggest sound difference.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
I would change the source. At the end of the day the amps and speakers merely reflect the signal that is going to them. poor signal in poor signal out. what's your budget ?

A

Anonymous

I'd upgrade the amp first ... and would look at getting something with a bit of 'grunt' ... like a used Musical Fidelity A5 or a Krell KAV 400xi

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
So at the moment I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers first to MA RX 6.

Then i'm gonna audition the Cambridge audio dac, I think in my case that would be a worthy upgrade especially when I want to use my Ps3 as media server for my mp3 collection.

In a few years when it will become more affordable on the 2nd hand market i'll buy the appolo.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
My budget is 1000? 1200? max.

I hope to sell my Monitor audio Bronze 5 for 400?(only 1 year old) and that should give me just enough money to buy the RX 6 and the cambridge audio dac.

what is the best way to connect the dac. Ps 3 digital or optical to dac and then analog to rega brio 3?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The best upgrade you could do now, and at no cost, is to start using lossless (or equivalent) rather than MP3. Or you are seriously underusing your equipment. A DAC will make a world of difference.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
In the old days i used to enjoy my mp3 collection but nowadays I usually listen to my cd collection.

Because indeed otherways i'm underusing my equipment. But my collection mp3's is vaster than my cd collection is.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
aliahk:
In the old days i used to enjoy my mp3 collection but nowadays I usually listen to my cd collection.

Because indeed otherways i'm underusing my equipment. But my collection mp3's is vaster than my cd collection is.

Fair comment, but I'd be willing to bet that if you got a decent system throughout you wouldn't bother with the MP3s because you just wouldn't enjoy them to the same extent.

A

Anonymous

I've upgraded everything in the last 1.5 years and they all made improvments. For me the biggest came from the speakers but it depends on what you have and what you're going to. The amp made a difference at higher volumes with both old and new speakers so if you like high volumes and you might with that kind of music that might be the best thing to do first.

T

the record spot

I'd have a think about why I'm restricting myself to such a limited set of choices.

Are those options the end result of a selection process already carried out, or is this based on a "they're supposed to sound good, I'll get that one"?

For example, most people rave about the Apollo, but some don't like it; you might fall into that latter category.

aliahk

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
The appolo was the cd player when i went for my first audition hooked up to creek evolution and the rega brio 3.

I find it very difficult to hear the difference between amps I have to say. Only when i listen for al long period in my own home at different volume levels the differences become more obvious to me.

Am I the only one who has that problem?

A

Anonymous

aliahk:

The appolo was the cd player when i went for my first audition hooked up to creek evolution and the rega brio 3.

I find it very difficult to hear the difference between amps I have to say. Only when i listen for al long period in my own home at different volume levels the differences become more obvious to me.

Am I the only one who has that problem?

I found that by connecting different amps to my system, the speakers operate differently (have connected several)... a good strong amp such as a musical fidelity A5 (250 watts) really brings my speakers to life ... and this is also at low levels of volume

so, based on my experience I sometimes wonder about the people who say that the cdp is the 'main component' in a system? ... that's just my opinion based on my limited experience

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
tough one mate i have them speakers and found the same fault. 1st i changed to the chord speaker cable css(the five star award winner) and not alot happen then took the cable back lucky he swapped for some vivanco stuff that was the same price £6 per metre but was far better. Then still wanted more tried an arcam alpha 9 amp and that was great. the next thing is im finding it warmer using a marantz cd player rather than my cambridge audio640. I have found that the cd player changes alot. But also try put the same cable as your running as jumpers that helpted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts