What should I do?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Currently own a rather poorly Micromega Stage 2, quote for repair is nearly £200, I love this players sound.

Now I'm wondering whether I should get it repaired?

Or should I replace it and if so what with?

Or maybe just bolt on a Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC to my philips DVD player?

I have a limit of £300 to spend and any advice will be considered...

Cheers Hoz

matthewpiano

My advice would be to audition a range of players available within your budget including, if you can, the now end of line Arcam CD73. If you find something that sounds like your Micromega and/or that you like then bingo. If not, I'd be tempted to go with the repair. Replacing much loved components can be very difficult.

A

Anonymous

I would love to go auditioning, but i live on the isle of anglesey and my nearest deal is like a 2 hour drive away :(

A

Anonymous

I'd unplug the player, leave it for a few hours to discharge and whip out some screwdrivers. Most CD players are modular and can easily be disassembled. You may be able to get a new Transport -- if that is the problem, let's say it's an educated guess ;) -- otherwise take the transport out and the problem is most likely sticky rails the head runs on - you can clean and regrease them - I think it a special kind of silicon grease, but others here might know better. If it isn't currently working, then you've got nothing to lose.

Ofcourse be especially careful because we are talking 240volts, but if you know any techie friends, anyone who's opened up a Computer to add memory or a drive, they should be able to do it. Else go get a CA DacMagic and use a DVD player (or computer) as your main rig.

A

Anonymous

Well my Micromega according to the service report, has a blown diode, 2 blown capacitors and the no laser output from the Phillips mech, my concern is that it may sound different after the repair
emotion-7.gif

My thoughts have been really between the DacMagic or the Marantz CD6002, my current DVD player that I would connect to the DAC is a Phillips DVP5960...

John Duncan

OK, that sounds like pro repair rather than DIY, certainly. In which case the Diva DV135 is quite a good option - replace both at once! It would be at least as good as the Marantz I'd say, though maybe not quite on a par with the DACMagic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts