What next?

Sparkie67

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have built my system over time.

currently using a Rotel RA12 as a pre amp into Roksan K3/2 power amplifier. Then out to some B&W 703 S2 speakers using chord cable.
I mostly stream music via Sonos connect from a HD streaming service, and play the odd CD.
I am thinking of replacing the Rotel with a Roksan integrated amp then bi wiring the speakers.
Or do I sell both and replace with a different integrated amp.
It’s just an itch I’m thinking of scratching, but are there better combinations out there.

many thanks.

rainsoothe

Hi. Bi-wiring like this will most likely yield close to no benefit. I'd move to a higher end integrated instead (like the Roksan Caspian 2 or Blak if you wanna stay with your brand, or any of the usual suspects from Naim, Rega, Musical Fidelity, Audiolab, Arcam, Cambridge Audio etc) or buy a sh pre-power, like Naim Nac 202 Nap 200 (or Nac N 272 if you want a streaming preamplifier). Just audition as much as you can before buying, use your ears to decide.

Reactions: Samd

gasolin

Mabye one of the bigger Rotels like the RA-1572 or RB-1582 mk2 (power amp).

B&W 703 S2 does go down to 3.1 ohm so they need somthing that can handle under 4 ohm (not shure if your current amp does that well)

Jimboo

Ah yes, C. D. I've heard of this from the elders.
I find this kind of quote almost as amusing as getting brexit done and making Britain great again. Why C.D's get such a bum rap from the audiophile community is a total mystery. The reason vinyl was dropped of course is because (recording quality not withstanding ) cd was a better experience. Hi-res and streaming is the future apparently and in some ways I can see that. However , I like some sort of actual product rather than yet more screen glaring in my life.
In answer to the question , demo , demo , demo and use your ears. Ignore the wavy line lovers and graph freaks , use your ears.

Reactions: MMohammed
Replacing the integrated amplifier with another integrated amplifier will just be diluting the quality that’s possible from the overall budget. I’d look at a more capable integrated amplifier. I don’t know what sort of budget you’re looking at, but the new Hegel H120 would be a good place to start to replace both boxes. This has the power section of the Rost that it replaces, but pretty much the DAC/digital section from the H190, which makes it a bargain from a quality point of view. The H190 will add greater output, headroom, and grip over your speakers.

Of course, there’s a lot of amplifiers out there though, so I’d say it’s a good idea to state what you think is currently lacking from the 703 S2s in order to draw up an ideal short list of amplifiers that will give you what exactly you need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts