What new turntable? An Analogue Works TT1!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
John Duncan said:
Get a tea towel...

Got plenty thanks.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Now why would the OP want to spend all that money (over his budget as you so rightly point out) on such a wonderful piece of engineering, only to have to cover it up with a large bit of linen??

Pointless.

Get the Gyro and save a few bob in the process. :)
£5 difference between Gyro and Gyro SE with cover..........:)

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Right. So, after much faffing, I seem to have narrowed things down (for the time being).

Either

a) Marantz TT15-S1 stock

b) Analogue Works TT1 with Origin Live Alliance arm & Nagaoka MP-200

Both use the full budget, and neither comes with a dust cover. :grin:

Any thoughts/opinions/general insults?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Waxy said:
Right. So, after much faffing, I seem to have narrowed things down (for the time being).

Either

a) Marantz TT15-S1 stock

Personally I'd go for the Analogue Works, I think it uses better materials, is heavier, including a reasonably heavy platter for this price range. Plus I think it looks a little better.

EDIT: Another important point in favour of the Analogue Works is choice of arm and cartridge, which will allow you to optimise.

alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
John Duncan said:
Get a tea towel...

Got plenty thanks.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Now why would the OP want to spend all that money (over his budget as you so rightly point out) on such a wonderful piece of engineering, only to have to cover it up with a large bit of linen??

Pointless.

Not if you know where to buy, and certainly not if you are considering buying second-hand.

Tear Drop said:
Waxy said:

Either

a) Marantz TT15-S1 stock

Personally I'd go for the Analogue Works, I think it uses better materials, is heavier, including a reasonably heavy platter for this price range. Plus I think it looks a little better.

EDIT: Another important point in favour of the Analogue Works is choice of arm and cartridge, which will allow you to optimise.

+1 for the Analogue Works if only for the very good arm / cartridge pairing - TT does look nice though. :)

I think I would still choose a Clearaudio or Michell Engineering model because they both have a history, which implies they might still be around in five, ten or more years. Not that I want to knock enterprising British manufacturers at all, and the AW looks fab!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
New Gyro SE / RB303 owner here - I am getting a cover made for mine - just 5 pieces of Lexan stuck together and cheap as chips!

BTW the Gyro is just superb in every way

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
So what have you gained in sound quality over the Rega ?...........:clap:

A giant leap in build quality I would imagine......8)

Build quality there is no contest! Its a thing o beauty - I paid extra for Black, the spinnings weights are simply mesmerising.

Biggest thing I have noticed is the noise floor has dropped, surface noise is practically non existent.

Instruments just sound real, the imaging is great it just so much better sounding over the RP6 - I thought the RP6 sounds excellent - the Gyro is better even with the RB303.

I dont think its all down to the deck - my system has changed with new amp & speakers too. My old Rega system sounded great, got me hooked but what I have now is so so nice - I love it

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
John Duncan said:
Get a tea towel...

Got plenty thanks.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Pointless.

Not if you know where to buy, and certainly not if you are considering buying second-hand.
OK, where's the best deal to be had ?.........:)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
John Duncan said:
Get a tea towel...

Got plenty thanks.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Pointless.

Frank Harvey quoted me the best price for a Gyro SE - but ended up getting it from Analogue Seduction as I got a good p/ex on my RP6

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
I bought my Pro-Ject from Analogue Seduction, and a few bits and bobs afterwards, and I must say that they are a terrific company to deal with.

Mail order DIB?

Ive been to his place a few times - its stunning grade listied 1600 manor house

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
DIB said:
I bought my Pro-Ject from Analogue Seduction, and a few bits and bobs afterwards, and I must say that they are a terrific company to deal with.

Mail order DIB?

Ive been to his place a few times - its stunning grade listied 1600 manor house

Yes it was. I've lost my passport, not allowed outside the Kingdom of Mancunia these days.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
alchemist 1 said:
Al ears said:
John Duncan said:
Get a tea towel...

Got plenty thanks.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Pointless.

Frank Harvey quoted me the best price for a Gyro SE - but ended up getting it from Analogue Seduction as I got a good p/ex on my RP6
Oh good my hifi dealer in Coventry.

A hop,skip and jump down the A45.............:)

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
One of my options includes a tonearm with upgraded cable made of "Cardas copper litz" It adds about £100 to the cost of the arm.

Does any one have any experience of such an upgrade?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
OK. Cheers Al. What I think I'll do is use the money to get a bespoke acrylic dust cover made up instead. I'm 90% settled on the Analogue Works TT1 now. I did spend some time researching the Gyrodec, but given my requirements, it was blowing the budget over £2k without a cartridge.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Origin Live Alliance & Nagaoka MP-200.

Came in just under budget so the dust cover wil have to wait until next month!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts