What new turntable? An Analogue Works TT1!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I've recently upgraded to an Onkyo a9000r amp & QAcoustics Concept 40 speakers. I'm now sat looking at (and listening to) my entry level Pro-ject Debut III Esprit and it's got me wondering if I should similarly upgrade the source.

So, theoretically *cough* if I suddenly found myself with the above budget, what do you recommend? My vinyl collection ranges from classical, to jazz, to prog rock, via many other genres. I guess I'm looking for a good all round performer.

Any suggestions of what to audition are appreciated.

Cheers!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome :)

I would prefer plug and play, to be honest. I did fit a new cartridge to my deck but am unconvinced that I've done a good job!

EDIT: Also, being a newbie to non-entry level kit, I would be more condfident buying new kit.

EDIT2: I would prefer a deck with an integral dust-cover

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I think the amp can cover that for now, it's also switchable between MM/MC cartridges. I don't have to exhaust the entire budget. There are some obvious contenders.... Rega RP6, Clearaudio Concept, Pro-ject 2 Exp or 6 Perspex.

I know the proof is in the listening....just looking for opinions really!

EDIT: aesthetically speaking I have only one condition: it has to be a rectangular plinth. Something about those wonky decks doesn't sit well with me :grin:

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi respe,

Cheers for the recommendation. Forgive me, why do you recommend this combination? Is this what you use?

The RP6 would have to be fitted with this cartridge by a dealer or you would have to fit it yourself.

Not too sure why this cartridge was recommended but whatever I assume the poster figured it was a good combo when he heard it.

The Clearaudio Concept you mention is a good set-up within your price range but I'm not too sure it comes with a lid / cover although you can get aftermarket ones if required.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
This is the package I went for recently..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Ject-Xperience-2-Pack-Turntable-with-Ortofon-2M-Blue-/231191329308?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item35d413ba1c

..ticks all the boxes for me, and I love the acrylic look. I do like the 2M Blue cart though currently I have my "spare" Nagaoka MP110 fitted, and not swapped it back yet.

Straight after I bought mine the price jumped up from £765 to £900

DIB's setup and suggestion is a good one. If you could get dealer to replace the Ortofon with the Nagaoka MP-200 you would have a set-up that is probably the best currently available within your price range.

NOTE the Dynavector DV20XL: cartridge mentioned in earlier post is a low-output MC type with 0.3 mv output. Your amp has a mc inbuilt state but you would have to check it has enough gain to deal with a cartridge such as this, many of them will not and can only handle the hi-output MC types.

John Duncan

Michell Gyro SE and RB300 with a modest cartridge - Ortofon 2M Red will take you just over budget, but you can upgrade to Blue or Black as time goes by, whereas the Gyro will last a lifetime, and is an absolute bargain.

JA-Michell-Gyro-SE-Zoom-Image-2.jpg

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Waxy said:
Hi respe,

Cheers for the recommendation. Forgive me, why do you recommend this combination? Is this what you use?

No, I use a P9-apheta-ios.

I had a DV20 on a P25- and transfered it to the P9 when I changed deck, I thought the DV20 was a very well blanaced cart, and thoroughly enjoyable to listen to. The RP6 with its 303 arm will let the dyna sing. It for me is a well balanced combination, with the Rega's rythym and drive complimenting the dyna's tonal range, and presentation.

I would have suggested a used gyro, with a OL alliance or onyx arm, would also have been worth investigating, other than your requirement for rectangular and integral cover, which rules out the Gyro.

John Duncan said:
Michell Gyro SE and RB300 with a modest cartridge - Ortofon 2M Red will take you just over budget, but you can upgrade to Blue or Black as time goes by, whereas the Gyro will last a lifetime, and is an absolute bargain.

JA-Michell-Gyro-SE-Zoom-Image-2.jpg

Good call but he would need the Gyro and not the Gyro SE (see his second requirement for an interal dust cover).

John Duncan said:
Get a tea towel...

Got plenty thanks.

Oh, I see what you mean.

Now why would the OP want to spend all that money (over his budget as you so rightly point out) on such a wonderful piece of engineering, only to have to cover it up with a large bit of linen??

Pointless.

Get the Gyro and save a few bob in the process. :)

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Tea towel? Amateurs! I'll just hoover it every other day. :rofl:

Thanks to all for their suggestions. It's given me much better idea of what's out there.

EDIT: Is the Pro-ject 6 Perspex worth the extra cost over the Pro-ject 2 Experience?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Ifor, that Analogue Works looks fantastic. I think I could forego the integral dust cover requirement for one of those!

I presume there is not much to choose between the Jelco and Origin arms?

Freddy58 said:
Al ears said:
Now why would the OP want to spend all that money (over his budget as you so rightly point out) on such a wonderful piece of engineering, only to have to cover it up with a large bit of linen??

Pointless.

I think he was joking Al ;) :grin:

Of course he was. Wasn't he??

I was just trying to rub in the fact that he missed the requirement for a lid ........ wonder if I should have bothered now. :)

Waxy said:
Ifor, that Analogue Works looks fantastic. I think I could forego the integral dust cover requirement for one of those!

For the costs saving you could just get an aftermarket acrylic 'box' to cover the TT as opposed to a hinged lid.

I would say there is a fair bit to choose from between those two arms but it would depend on the models that you are referring to. (EDIT Forget this bit I've just seen their website)

It would depent on whether or not you prefer straight or J-shaped but I know which one I would go for.

Waxy said:
Tea towel? Amateurs! I'll just hoover it every other day. :rofl:

Thanks to all for their suggestions. It's given me much better idea of what's out there.

EDIT: Is the Pro-ject 6 Perspex worth the extra cost over the Pro-ject 2 Experience?

Yes I'd say so although must confesss I have not heard it.

PS Under not circumstances would I suggest hoovering, and not just 'cos it's girlie. :grin:

Had a thoughtful person once decide she would help me out by hoovering TT and surrounding area - cost me a trashed stylus on the Dynavector I had at the time. |(

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Waxy said:

i read somewhere that an integral lid is available, but I'm sure that is true.

if you can get to the Graham Slee open day at Aylesbury on 29th May (book through the gspaudio website) there is expected to be an Analogue Works TT in the mix of kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts