What new turntable? An Analogue Works TT1!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Waxy said:
ifor said:
I suspect you'll be very pleased with it.

Hmmm, wouldn't want any expectation bias now, would we? ;)

If it sounds better for it, I'm all in favour.
smiley-smile.gif

jerry klinger said:
Can the TT1 be upgraded to the TT2 at a later date?

I wonder hpw that would compare with the Rega RP8.

I think it can but why would you?

The only difference appears to be uprated feet (£90) and a 'reference' power supply.

The £800 extra they are asking appears slightly laughable. (£710 for a power supply, come on!) :rofl:

Opps, forgot the 5 mats and a cover. Still makes for a very expensive power supply though.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
The TT2 wasn't on my radar at all. I guess the dust cover and assorted mats could account for £250-£300 extra, making the upgraded power pack around £400. The TT2 also has the laminated plinth. I opted for the plywood finish as it's a bit different (plus my amp and speakers are black).

I'm awaiting photos of the build today... exciting! :grin:

Also been pondering a wall shelf. I'm not really sure if I'll need one though as my system will be in a room with a very solid floor (concrete block & beam construction, covered with a layer of screed and thick porcelain tiles). I think it would take some determined jumping up and down in bovver boots to get any movement at all!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Waxy said:
Also been pondering a wall shelf. I'm not really sure if I'll need one though as my system will be in a room with a very solid floor (concrete block & beam construction, covered with a layer of screed and thick porcelain tiles). I think it would take some determined jumping up and down in bovver boots to get any movement at all!

Yes, of course you want one and it looks like this http://audiosuspension.com/asu-100.html.

:)

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
ifor said:
Waxy said:

Yes, of course you want one and it looks like this http://audiosuspension.com/asu-100.html.

i was looking at that site last night. I like the special edition with the remote control LED lighting 8)

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Waxy said:
ifor said:
Waxy said:

Let us know how pleased with it you are when you get it. If I didn't already have something that does the job, it's what I would get.

i was looking at that site last night. I like the special edition with the remote control LED lighting 8)

ifor said:
Waxy said:

With that sort of flooring I'd only consider a wall shelf if you need to keep the TT away from kid's greasy fingers. :grin:

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
My current deck has survived at toddler-level unscathed thus far. Remarkably the minion has left it well alone. She was told from an early age not to touch Dad's record player or records. Plus, speaker domes are much more inviting to little fingers... :O

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Al ears said:
ifor said:
Waxy said:

With that sort of flooring I'd only consider a wall shelf if you need to keep the TT away from kid's greasy fingers. :grin:

He could always move to a house with a bouncy suspended wooden floor and then he could get one. It's so pretty, it has to be worth it.

Waxy said:
My current deck has survived at toddler-level unscathed thus far. Remarkably the minion has left it well alone. She was told from an early age not to touch Dad's record player or records. Plus, speaker domes are much more inviting to little fingers... :O

And those speakers with the nice 'letter box' port on the front are just so inviting when it comes to a slice of toast.... yeh I know only too well. :grin:

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
The £800 extra they are asking appears slightly laughable. (£710 for a power supply, come on!) :rofl:

As Waxy says there appears to be a little more than that. I daresay the TT1 has most of the required sound and looks great value at £800 odd, but for example the earlier SME10s can be upgraded with a newer power supply, for over £1000, which just about doubles the 'size' of the sound. And of course Linn, Naim, etc have been making additional turntable PSUs for about the same £££ for many years and with many satisfied buyers. On a more budget note, the Rega TTPSU also radically improves an RP3 level turntable (admittedly for £198).

Very interested to hear the outcome of this BTW.

As a footnote, has any heard (or even seen) the new Project Xtension 9 - looks much sleeker than the 10 to my eyes.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
2 boxes arrived this morning. One large, and very heavy. The other containing the arm/cartridge. :bounce:

Gotta wait until small person is in bed before unpacking.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Finally got the Analogue Works set up this evening.

Initial impression? Wow.

Will eventually write up a mini-review, but I'm afraid that, right now, my ears are busy.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Waxy said:
Finally got the Analogue Works set up this evening.

Initial impression? Wow.

Will eventually write up a mini-review, but I'm afraid that, right now, my ears are busy.

Great!

I daresay that little purple Nagaoka has a part to play - really opens up after 20 hrs!

What made you go for the Nag? was it peer pressure off here :)

For the money the best MM you can buy - IMO of course.

Glad your enjoying the deck!!

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I daresay that little purple Nagaoka has a part to play - really opens up after 20 hrs!

What made you go for the Nag? was it peer pressure off here :)

For the money the best MM you can buy - IMO of course.

Glad your enjoying the deck!!

Your suggestion of the MP-200 did pique my interest. Have always been an Ortofon buyer for some unfathomable reason. If the Nag sounds this good now, I'm going to be very pleased in 20 or so hours! I now understand what is meant by a bigger soundstage :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts