What minimonitor for me? little rom

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I want buy ampl + mini-monitor for a little rom (12m2). I want listen the speaker near (1m). The speaker is above the wooden table near the wall.

I want listen 80% electronic music (nu-disco, house, electro, tech house) and 20% pop/rock music. Not jazz, not classic.

I like me the natural voices. Low present but not exaggerated. I want listen all layers of the digital efects in my track. That low do not cover some of the digital effects.

I want a compact ampl for use it like DAC and bluetooth connection. I think that Denon PMA-50 may be a good option.

What speakers? What do you think about this models?

B&W 685 S2
B&W CM1 S2
Harbeth P3ESR
KEF LS50
Kudos Cardea C10

Thank you for all. Sorry for my poor english. I'm spanish speaker.

james_LR90

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
If you want a small speaker you should also consider the NVA Cube 3 or the NVA Cubette. You may have never heard of them but do be sure you look into them.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Tony Vegas said:
Hi,

I want buy ampl + mini-monitor for a little rom (12m2). I want listen the speaker near (1m). The speaker is above the wooden table near the wall.

I want listen 80% electronic music (nu-disco, house, electro, tech house) and 20% pop/rock music. Not jazz, not classic.

I like me the natural voices. Low present but not exaggerated. I want listen all layers of the digital efects in my track. That low do not cover some of the digital effects.

I want a compact ampl for use it like DAC and bluetooth connection. I think that Denon PMA-50 may be a good option.

What speakers? What do you think about this models?

B&W 685 S2B&W CM1 S2Harbeth P3ESRKEF LS50Kudos Cardea C10

Thank you for all. Sorry for my poor english. I'm spanish speaker.

In that kind of situation you are going to have problems with bass because the wall and placement on a desk. I think all of them other than the Harbeth are too bassy for how you want to use them.

In that kind of situation I'd be looking at studio monitors that allow you to adjust the bass to prevent it from becoming too boomy, but even with studio monitors I'd be worried about bass problems from anything with too big a driver. I'd be looking at something like the Genelec 8030. It looks like the 8040 might be within your budget, but I think it has too much bass for that placement. Adam A7X I would never put on a desk. Maybe Focal CMS50. Anything bigger might be problematic on a desk.

Hi Toni,you don't mention what kind of budget you have to work with,the harbeths need some very good amplifiacation and that denon just ain't going to be good enough i'm afraid.I don't think any of those speakers will work so well with near field listening,maybe you should be looking at some small studio monitors but they tend to be difficult to drive and need expensive amplification,some active monitors might suit your needs more.

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
thank you everyone. I would like use a passive monitors, not active monitors. I can not move the speakers and the speakers are not accessible for turn on/off and set the volumen; very far for the chair.

For the moment Harbeth and Kudos are the only like me in general music. Kef ls50 is very good for electronic music but not for pop/rock (voices not good, like a bit canned).

I can buy C10 at 1700€ for outlet (the normal price is 4000 euros). I think is a good price. Do you know anything similar for this price?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

You have listed some very nice speakers there, but I suspect that you will need a better amp with some of them.

I agree with the suggestions of Neat Iotas, or going with better amplification.

rainsoothe

CnoEvil said:
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

You have listed some very nice speakers there, but I suspect that you will need a better amp with some of them.

I agree with the suggestions of Neat Iotas, or going with better amplification.

Indeed. Geting Harbeth monitors and a budget Denon will not sound good. CM10 are way too big for your room, and bass will defo overpower it. Get a pair of Neat Iotas and a Naim Unitiqute 2 - you'll get all the functionality you need, except CD player (a cheap one with digital out will do if you need one, the DAC in the UQ2 will take care of it)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi Toni,you don't mention what kind of budget you have to work with,the harbeths need some very good amplifiacation and that denon just ain't going to be good enough i'm afraid.I don't think any of those speakers will work so well with near field listening,maybe you should be looking at some small studio monitors but they tend to be difficult to drive and need expensive amplification,some active monitors might suit your needs more.

the designer of harbeth speakers, alan shaw recommends pioneer a-30 for any of his speakers.

please don't spread hifi cliche and nonsense as some people come here for real advice.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Tony Vegas said:
thank you everyone. I would like use a passive monitors, not active monitors. I can not move the speakers and the speakers are not accessible for turn on/off and set the volumen; very far for the chair.

For the moment Harbeth and Kudos are the only like me in general music. Kef ls50 is very good for electronic music but not for pop/rock (voices not good, like a bit canned).

I can buy C10 at 1700€ for outlet (the normal price is 4000 euros). I think is a good price. Do you know anything similar for this price?

The AVI DM5 speakers automatically switch themselves on and off without you needing to do anything.

When they're in standby mode they use less than half a watt of electric. As soon as they receive an audio signal they automatically wake up and start playing music. Then when you've finished listening to music you just leave them turned on and after 15 minutes of silence they automatically switch back to standby mode.

Err.i don't think I said anything about a pioneer a-30 not being able to drive harbeth speakers or any other amp for that matter,I'm just saying they'll sound better with better amplification and if you spend well over a grand on a pair of speakers..what's the point on pairing them with 300 quid amp,wouldn't you agree that a 300 quid pair of speakers would do just fine?

rainsoothe

lpv said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

the designer of harbeth speakers, alan shaw recommends pioneer a-30 for any of his speakers.

please don't spread hifi cliche and nonsense as some people come here for real advice.

Isn't he the guy that said all amps sound the same? As in "spend all yer money on Harbeth loudspeakers, they can be driven perfectly by a budget amp"? Ye, I'm sure he isn't biased at all.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Tony Vegas said:

The AVI DM5 speakers automatically switch themselves on and off without you needing to do anything.

When they're in standby mode they use less than half a watt of electric. As soon as they receive an audio signal they automatically wake up and start playing music. Then when you've finished listening to music you just leave them turned on and after 15 minutes of silence they automatically switch back to standby mode.

my understanding is that all newer active monitors are required to have automatic switch off so they have signal sensing as well and turn on automatically. I never use the power switch on my Genelecs unless I'm going to be away for some time. They turn off automatically and turn on as soon as the music starts playing through my DAC/pre

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ID. said:
steve_1979 said:
Tony Vegas said:

my understanding is that all newer active monitors are required to have automatic switch off so they have signal sensing as well and turn on automatically. I never use the power switch on my Genelecs unless I'm going to be away for some time. They turn off automatically and turn on as soon as the music starts playing through my DAC/pre

I knew that it was a common feature but I hadn't realised that all new active monitors have to have this feature now.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure when the power saving requirements came into effect, but I know Fostex and a few other manufacturers brought it in over the last couple of years, even for relatively cheap models. Some of the speakers I'm familiar with were kind of upgrades, which normally come out in Japan first, but these changes actually appeared outside Japan first.

My Adams don't have it and they aren't really that old.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Err.i don't think I said anything about a pioneer a-30 not being able to drive harbeth speakers or any other amp for that matter,I'm just saying they'll sound better with better amplification and if you spend well over a grand on a pair of speakers..what's the point on pairing them with 300 quid amp,wouldn't you agree that a 300 quid pair of speakers would do just fine?

Mark, what amp would you pair more likely and why with harbeth p3esr speakers: naim nait 5i or pioneer a-30?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
ID. said:
steve_1979 said:
Tony Vegas said:

I knew that it was a common feature but I hadn't realised that all new active monitors have to have this feature now.

not all new active monitors have this automatic switch. I personally use remote controlled sockets.

To IPV.Personally I wouldn't buy a pair of harbeth p3esr,I'm not fond of their looks,but I thought about a pair with my nait xs and couldn't demo a pair,so opted for the pmc's.but reviews I had read suggested they performed better with amps with decent power and power supply that's all I had to go on.But that is the level of amplifier I'd be looking at and I doubt a budget amp would do them justice,but you never know and this is just an opinion and not a fact,it seems you like shooting people down unless scientific facts are backing up whatever posters say.so as not to offend you further I'll keep them to myself eh?I maybe don't have your level of education and arrogance,but hey it's just a forum where people like to talk about like minded interests and enjoy it at the same time,I fear your presence maybe sucks the enjoyment factor from it unfortunately.good day.

gasolin

ID. said:
steve_1979 said:
Tony Vegas said:

Krk rookit 5 does shut off aut and i think yamaha hs8 also does it

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Interesting thread.

I'm also looking to upgrade my speakers from my current B&W 601S2s which I've had for about 18 years now. I recently got a TOTL late 80s Japanese amp with built-in DAC which I feel now needs much better speakers. I tried a pair of Yamaha NS-1000Ms, but due to lack of space in our living room I had to put them on sideboards. Even in this less-than-ideal position they still sounded superb, but they looked massive and dominated the living room. The WAF was zero so reluctantly I had to part with them.

So I will have to stick with bookshelf/mini monitors. I have seen a pair of those Kudos C10s for sale at <£1000 and I have to say I am tempted. I've also been recommended the ProAc Tablette Anniversaries and ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures.

I'm also curious about a Sony speaker from the 90s too, the SS-AL5 MkII, as everything I've found suggests that these were also excellent, and it appeals to my idea of building a system with older components.

Seems that the Kudos might be the best VFM considering the RRP was somewhere near £3000, and I should hopefully be able to try before I commit with this one.

Music-wise it is very diverse here: I listen to electronica (house, techno, ambient etc), soul, funk, disco, post-punk, some alternative pop and my wife likes pop, jazz, classical, musicals, and some easy-listening.

Thoughts most appreciated as I am in a similar position to the OP. I hope this doesn't derail the thread too much.

Thanks,

Nick

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dfa2124 said:
Interesting thread.

I'm also looking to upgrade my speakers from my current B&W 601S2s which I've had for about 18 years now. I recently got a TOTL late 80s Japanese amp with built-in DAC which I feel now needs much better speakers. I tried a pair of Yamaha NS-1000Ms, but due to lack of space in our living room I had to put them on sideboards. Even in this less-than-ideal position they still sounded superb, but they looked massive and dominated the living room. The WAF was zero so reluctantly I had to part with them.

So I will have to stick with bookshelf/mini monitors. I have seen a pair of those Kudos C10s for sale at <£1000 and I have to say I am tempted. I've also been recommended the ProAc Tablette Anniversaries and ProAc Tablette Reference 8 Signatures.

I'm also curious about a Sony speaker from the 90s too, the SS-AL5 MkII, as everything I've found suggests that these were also excellent, and it appeals to my idea of building a system with older components.

Seems that the Kudos might be the best VFM considering the RRP was somewhere near £3000, and I should hopefully be able to try before I commit with this one.

Music-wise it is very diverse here: I listen to electronica (house, techno, ambient etc), soul, funk, disco, post-punk, some alternative pop and my wife likes pop, jazz, classical, musicals, and some easy-listening.

Thoughts most appreciated as I am in a similar position to the OP. I hope this doesn't derail the thread too much.

Thanks,

Nick
The cost of a speaker often has little bearing on whether you will like it or not, though amp matching makes a big difference eg. I prefer the Kef LS50s to many speakers that are 2 to 3 times their price.

You have listed well respected speakers...Proac go particularly well with Valve and Class A amps.

dfa2124

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
dfa2124 said:
Interesting thread.

Thanks,

Nick
The cost of a speaker often has little bearing on whether you will like it or not, though amp matching makes a big difference eg. I prefer the Kef LS50s to many speakers that are 2 to 3 times their price.

You have listed well respected speakers...Proac go particularly well with Valve and Class A amps.

The amp is a JVC AX-Z1010TN which I found out about via PFM in a long-running thread. The sound is very relaxed, natural and neutral. Even through my humble B&W speakers a good BBC broadcast via their HQ HLS stream through the amp's DAC I can tell something special is going on, so a high-end mini monitor or bookshelf speaker should improve things further.

I'm also hoping to get a classic CD player to finish the system, either a Marantz CD-94 MkII/95/99 or maybe a Victor XL-Z900 or similar.

Hopefully this helps.

Regards,

Nick

TRENDING THREADS