what lp-cd hooked you on hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ok then what lp-cd hooked you on the hifi merry go round,
mines was a lp called spiral by vangelis way back late 70s
and i still play it now, try it on spotify and tell me what you think.

A

Anonymous

mine was listening to Slade albums and Floyd Animals on my Bush "music centre". Me and my brother saved our paper round money towards half of the cost! We listened to loads before deciding and got it from this strange wharehouse outlet called comet In about '73. Kept it for years then left home at 16 and that's when the seperates started.

Messiah

For me it was 'The Prodigy Experience'. For years we had very basic stereos that had no descernable bass although I did not realise this at the time. Went round a friends house who played the CD on his Fischer hi-fi and I was gobsmacked at the difference.

It was all down hill from there...
smiley-smile.gif

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
David Sylvian, "Gone to Earth", owned by my older brother when I was 13, he'd just bought a Sony CD player (1984), I'm pretty sure the amp was Sony, and I know the speakers were. Sony speakers? Still, that was the sound that hooked me.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I do'nt know there are so many that I play over an over again :)

But one of the first albums I remembering stealing from my parrents collection was 'Dark side of the moon'

(folowed by Brothers in arm , Bowie, the Clash, REM Out of time )

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Roby said:
I do'nt know there are so many that I play over an over again :)

But one of the first albums I remembering stealing from my parrents collection was 'Dark side of the moon'

(folowed by Brothers in arm , Bowie, the Clash, REM Out of time )

Same for me 'Dark side of the moon' and 'War of the worlds'

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
'African Sanctus' played on the school music room's Connoisseur TT/Goodmans Module amp/Goodmans floor standers system by the music teacher. (Goodmans were a local company and had donated the system.)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I am afraid to say my downhill path was created by 8-track.

The actual album I cannot recall but the quality difference of the 8-track when plugged (din) into the back of the music centre in 1971 was a real eye opener.

The money that 8-track has cost me down the decades. :O

SteveR750

Cat Stevens Greatest Hits - very uncool for a 12 yr old. ELO fan shortlky afterwards when I "discovered" music, and ACDC accidentally when I was 15. That was the turning point in many ways (also started a life long affair with planks of wood with 6 strings stretched along them..)

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Okay, hang on, big admission coming....

'Swing Safari' by Bert Kaempfert on LP, about 1967. Not something I would have ever listened to but sounded amazing on the first real hi-fi I'd ever heard and was what started me on a long and rocky road.

There, I've got that out of my system (pun intended).

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Bye Bye Blues br Bert Kaempfert sounds brilliant if you can find a version, so no shame there.

I rember hearing Rattus Norvegicus on a friends parents hifi and was staggered how much better it sounded than on the usual music centres, started saving the pennies straight away.

A

Anonymous

alan harknett said:
Electric Warrior by T.REX back in 1971
Went too see them at the then oden cinema [ brum]. Could'nt hear them for all the screaming of besotted teenage girls.

SteveR750

In a nod to another thread, I should probably won up to Pinky & Perky Nursery Rhymes. Helium was never so much fun.

Cno - did you ever try playing that album at 78rpm?! I also tried it at 16rpm, so the "real" voices were revealed, totally spoilt the experience thereafter.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Petherick said:
Okay, hang on, big admission coming....

'Swing Safari' by Bert Kaempfert on LP, about 1967. Not something I would have ever listened to but sounded amazing on the first real hi-fi I'd ever heard and was what started me on a long and rocky road.

There, I've got that out of my system (pun intended).

In a smilar vein... one that I heard a lot of - as a very small child ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS15ACUhTww

With one or two exceptions, the soundtrack from the film "The Dish" would have been typical of a normal evening's listening for my parents.

I am slightly ashamed to say that YouTube'ing them all just now was - more or less - quite enjoyable. (Hopefully that's because of nostalgia and I won't be tracking down Tijuana Brass CDs!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts