What? listening rooms

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:I think it's fair enough - if KEF feel the review doesn't tally with their own experience, and they know that the samples sent were rushed, why not let them submit another pair?

Every manufacture is going to say that!! "Didn't you like our speakers?, we thought they were poor too, but still put them to market" Every manufacture thinks there product is the best.

They should accept the review and there mistake and be better prepared for next time.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
silly:

Every manufacture is going to say that!! "Didn't you like our speakers?, we thought they were poor too, but still put them to market" Every manufacture thinks there product is the best.

They should accept the review and there mistake and be better prepared for next time.

Ah, but KEF did not put the speakers to market - it claims it put enhanced ones to market compared to the samples we heard.

A

Anonymous

Excellent news Clare! It's always great to find a real answer for a disagreement rather than the usual 'personal taste' stuff.

Sorry if I caused a bit of a storm (in a teacup).

Looking forward to hearing what you all think of the production units.

I guess it's 'shame on KEF' for doing this. Me sniffs an awards deadline issue perhaps?

A

Anonymous

Silly, I agree with you - IF KEF had merely submitted different speakers for review. Clare is saying they rushed the samples and the dealer product (they me and others think sounds good - better than the old Q Series) was OK. Let's see what the reviewers think. I liked the old iQ5 (like What Hi-Fi - 2 awards on the run), I also liked the iQ5SE on dynamics but agreed that it lost some of the mid sweetness that What Hi-Fi pointed out. My beef was I think the iQ50 in dealers really nails the MF and the dynamics, making it great value. Take a listen in store if you don't agree.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I think it's fair enough - if KEF feel the review doesn't tally with their own experience, and they know that the samples sent were rushed, why not let them submit another pair?

Arcam did it, and got the same three stars second time round
emotion-1.gif

Give Gotham a second go I say!

Funny beggar lol!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sonicaccuracyisall:Let's see what the reviewers think.

Why?

I never saw a review in any magazine (or online) before I bought my Rega R3's. I liked the look of them in the dealer's dem room, I liked the fact they were £399 rather than £500 (ex-dem) and I wanted floorstanders. I listened to them with Naim (CD5i & Nait 5i), Rega (Brio 3 & Apollo) and the Arcam Solo-Mini and was impressed at how they kept their own 'voice' regardless of amp/source. (OK the Naim stuff made them 'mono' and refused to play nice below 11 o'clock on the volume but that's a Naim thing I suppose!)

I also liked the fact that they behaved well near walls and away from walls and don't have any elusive 'sweet spot'. They are totally unfussy about positioning.

If WHF (or any other mag) had published a one star review of my R3's the day after I bought them I would not have cared less.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts