What line voltages for Musical Fidelity MVX?

goldenears

Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
I'm a bit confused with my preamp I recently purchased. What line voltages can I use on a Musical Fidelity MVX Preamplifier? The manual that came with the preamp does not specify if I can use 120v AC. I currently live in America using 120v; can I use the power supply for the mvx on United States voltages?

Appreciate any advice.

I'm a bit confused with my preamp I recently purchased. What line voltages can I use on a Musical Fidelity MVX Preamplifier? The manual that came with the preamp does not specify if I can use 120v AC. I currently live in America using 120v; can I use the power supply for the mvx on United States voltages?

Appreciate any advice.
did you buy it from someone in America?

goldenears

Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
It was purchased in the UK in the late 80s. I am now in America, but I am reluctant to try it as the power supply box has no markings of any kind and the documentation says nothing about the voltage requirements.

It was purchased in the UK in the late 80s. I am now in America, but I am reluctant to try it as the power supply box has no markings of any kind and the documentation says nothing about the voltage requirements.
in that case better safe than sorry, it's probably set up to work on 240v .
does the power supper block have a three pin plug on it?
From images it has a 30volt Dc input so 120v should damage it but best to get an electrician to check it out to see what it does output when plugged into the US power supply.

Last edited:

Gray

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the power supply box has a three-pin male plug on the box.
As it was bought in the UK, then it's likely to require UK voltage.

If you take the cover off the box you could look on or around the mains transformer for voltage labelling. Transformers sometimes label which of the coloured primary wires need to be connected to suit the supply voltage.
Follow the mains lead to the transformer primary windings, maybe via fuse / switch.

If it is wired for 240 volts, it's likely to be a simple wire (and fuse) swap.
Maybe get the same electrician to check / modify and fit a suitable wall plug for you.

Last edited:

goldenears

Mar 2, 2022
Visit site
Thank you all for your helpful and thoughtful responses. I will follow all this advice. I do not want to just plug it in here and possibly destroy this costly preamp.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts