What is your next headphone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

There not too bright but the bass has been knocked off square. This is to there benefit, IMO.
May not be quite as warm in the bass / lower mid as other 500 series Dom, but that's why I like them.
Not exaggerated, but neither does anything seem missing when it's there in the music.
I find myself really listening to the music - and not the character of the headphones.

Reactions: Dom

Stuart.W.D

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Those that base quality expectations strictly on price would say that the Sennheiser HD-560S can't possibly be my endgame.

But I don't - and it might be.

I am in agreement with Gray, and I would like to reiterate your comment to my Sennheiser HD600s as well. Due to the widespread availability of the parts, I won't need to upgrade to any other headphones in the future.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

doifeellucky

I think premium headphones and DACs are overrated, but that’s just based on my experience. For years I was happy with Sennheiser costing £30-40 back in the late 80’s and 90’s. During lockdown while working from home I decided I wanted to try something more premium and ordered a pair of Grado 325x and a Zen DAC V2. I was aware Grado are a bit of a marmite brand, but kept reading about how incredible Grado can sound. I was underwhelmed by both. With regard to Grado not bad like many say, but not anything special. Other than additional volume the Zen offered nothing compared to a £10 dongle plugged into my phone. Later I briefly tested and bought a pair of Hifiman Edition XS, generally regarded as one of the best under £500, to try a Planar. Again underwhelmed. I read comments about ‘night and day’ differences and hearing parts of songs not previously perceptible, but if you go back to something more budget, that specific part of the song was always there. You just weren’t trying to hear it.

Based on what I know now I’d probably go with something like the Sennheiser 560s. For me diminishing returns are fortunately pretty low.

I recently saw a video where they blind tested ‘non audiophiles’ with some premium headphones, including the 800s mentioned above, and no one like them. Thought they probably cost £100-200 as a maximum. I think it came out that the higher the price the worse they were perceived to sound.

I see so many conflicting reviews where one person says a model is too bright and someone else says a touch warm. Ultimately try (if you can) for yourself and go with what you like, but don’t assume spending more will guarantee a sonic improvement.

Last edited:

Gray

For years I was happy with Sennheiser costing £30-40 back in the late 80’s and 90’s.
Me too, up to around £50, when the HD-600 was the unobtainable luxury model.

I've since had a good listen to that legendary 600, as well as highly rated models from AKG and (even more expensive) Beyers.

....haven't been sufficiently impressed.
Based on what I know now I’d probably go with something like the Sennheiser 560s.
You wouldn't go far wrong. Not as comfortable as some owners seem to think, at least not initially - too clampy, before some overnight stretchouts and the pads aren't as soft as on my old 590.
The sound of the 560S with the comfort of my 590 would be my ideal.

Lightweight, minimal clamping force.....homemade headband - can't even feel it's there:
IMG_20230819_165059_MP.jpg

doifeellucky

I've since had a good listen to that legendary 600, as well as highly rated models from AKG and (even more expensive) Beyers.

You wouldn't go far wrong. Not as comfortable as some owners seem to think, at least not initially - too clampy, before some overnight stretchouts and the pads aren't as soft as on my old 590.

Lightweight, minimal clamping force.....homemade headband - can't even feel it's there:
View attachment 5232
One benefit of the Grado ‘design’ is you just bend the headband to fit. Useful for me as I’ve got a fairly big head.

Reactions: Gray

WayneKerr

View attachment 5232
Having now heard the 650's & 800S's I don't mind if you're honest about them too, Gray. You won't hurt my sensitive disposition :)

Last edited:

Friesiansam

View attachment 5232
I had to resort to making my own headband pad on my Shures. Apart from the original being rubbish, whilst spare earpads are included in the box, you cannot get replacement headband pads.
IMG_0241.JPG

Friesiansam

On the subject of "what is your next headphone?" Just remembered, I posted this a few years ago:
e6HcQbm_pSYy5dTaq3GuaJafdzXkcUI4qXVsf87A1us.jpg

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
I'm wed to HD598s myself, and have returned HD600s twice, In fact, right after the second time this summer, I bought a set of like-new original 598s to complement my less-new 598SEs.

DCarmi

I have some HD599s which I got as an Xmas present. I've looked at potential upgrades but:
a) Happy enough with the 599s
b) Don't think I'd do much better without forking out loads (and probably improving my systems)

I like the HD599s. They are comfortable and sound "good enough".

TRENDING THREADS