What is the point of a streamer?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Laptop or computer or iThing connected (wirelessly or otherwise) to a DAC. What else is needed?

Why plonk a streamer/music server in between? What does it add? (Apart from more cables, another box, and issues regarding set-up, additional software, 'workarounds' and gapless playback etc. and a user interface/display that is usually deficient compared to the user interface on a computer.)

I have not been 'brave' enough to ask so far because I assumed everybody knew apart from me.

However, it turns out that Roy Gandy of Rega has been asking the same question himself. So if I am an idiot for asking, then at least I am good company :)

http://www.audiofi.net/2012/08/computer-audio-rivals-cd-regas-roy-gandy/

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Error...

"then at least I am good company
smile.png
"

should read...

"then at least I am in good company
smile.png
"

Sorry. Site software prevents corrections on initial posts.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Laptop or computer or iThing connected (wirelessly or otherwise) to a DAC. What else is needed?

Why plonk a streamer/music server in between? What does it add?

In my case it's more what it takes away, namely the requirement to have a PC or laptop on and the rigmarole of messing about with a PC in order to get it to pass a bit perfect output rather than mucking it about for no good reason.

(Apart from more cables, another box, and issues regarding set-up, additional software, 'workarounds' and gapless playback etc. and a user interface/display that is usually deficient compared to the user interface on a computer.)

I don't have any of those issues, a couple of very small boxes compared to the lumbering great PC I used to have (I use a NAS for storage now) no additional cables compared to a PC, zero setup issues at all, no additional software, no workarounds, no problems with gapless playback and the best interface on the market (IMO). You just need to choose the right streamer and that's Sonos. I have a ZP90 optically connected to my amp sitting on the rack next to the NAS so all the cables are short and tidy, I don't need to trail anything across the floor to listen from my laptop and I have a convenient controller sitting in my pocket at all times.

I also have the finest multi-room system money can buy and there's no argument about that.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
A streamer is simply a networked music player. Some have built in amplification, pre or integrated, and other functions are sometimes built in, such as a CD player. A DAC is integral in all cases and some streamers can act as external DACs for other devices, so they can be quite versatile.

In terms of simply playing digital music files though, they are not as versatile as a Pc.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
You just need to choose the right streamer and that's Sonos...

...I also have the finest multi-room system money can buy and there's no argument about that.

eggontoast said:
What he said.

So the answer to my question (and Roy Gandy's) is "buy Sonos".

Fair enough.

Thanks.

Perhaps - in light of the above - the question should be changed to... "Why buy any other streamer than Sonos?"

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Of course you are aware, that streamers (players) are just specialized computers?

In few years, most of us (if not jet) will have bunch of computers (notebooks, tablets …) and some of them will be ready to take place of current streamers (IMHO), but for now, I’m happy with my receiver, which integrate most of my needs (ONKYO TX 8050) and WD player for the rest.

Storage is (and will stay in my case) very distributed: NAS and disks…

Why not PC and DAC? I like to have one simple remote (to rule them all). ;-)

A streamer or server seems logical. To idiots like me they have a PERCEIVED convenience in A) some of the popular brands have built-in FM/DAB tuners and B) they tend to have built-in DACs.

A brace of budgies and a pebble springs to mind.

The swiss army knife of hi-fi.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:
Perhaps - in light of the above - the question should be changed to... "Why buy any other streamer than Sonos?"

Because Sonos doesn't support 24-bit audio (yet, if ever).
Whereas Logitech's Squeezebox Touch does, is significantly cheaper & also does mutli-room. OK, it needs it's own server software but there are many a NAS that support it natively these days.

A valid question is why anyone would spend £500 or more on what Marantz, Rotel, Pioneer & others laughingly pass off as a streamer using poor interfaces, displays & clunky DLNA interfaces.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Crocodile said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

Whereas Logitech's Squeezebox Touch does, is significantly cheaper & also does mutli-room.

It doesn't do it as well as Sonos does though.

OK, it needs it's own server software but there are many a NAS that support it natively these days.

And many that don't, whereas with Sonos you can pretty much just take your pick. There's also the suggestion that Logitech aren't that interested in Squeezebox any more, so development and support may be an issue in the future.

A valid question is why anyone would spend £500 or more on what Marantz, Rotel, Pioneer & others laughingly pass off as a streamer using poor interfaces, displays & clunky DLNA interfaces.

Yes, I've often wondered that myself.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Crocodile said:
The_Lhc said:
chebby said:

Whereas Logitech's Squeezebox Touch does, is significantly cheaper & also does mutli-room.

I have a touch and radio and both work and sound just fine to me so how is sonos better?

OK, it needs it's own server software but there are many a NAS that support it natively these days.

And many that don't, whereas with Sonos you can pretty much just take your pick. There's also the suggestion that Logitech aren't that interested in Squeezebox any more, so development and support may be an issue in the future.

Who suggested this, what was your source please?

Andrej_1

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
The_Lhc said:

Yes, I've often wondered that myself.

They are what I had in mind when posting.

It’s a matter of taste (and choice – why not?)!

My ONKYO (receiver with built in DAC and network) costs me about 300 €.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
the_dude2 said:
The_Lhc said:
Crocodile said:
The_Lhc said:

I have a touch and radio and both work and sound just fine to me so how is sonos better?

Sonos doesn't use your own wi-fi network, which will collapse under the weight of 4 or 5 Squeezeboxes, it has its own mesh network which allows up 32 individual zoneplayers to either play completely separate streams or all to be perfectly syncronised (or any combination in between), Squeezebox won't do that.

Who suggested this, what was your source please?

That rumour (and I admit that's all it is at the moment) has been winging its way around the internet for several months now, I've seen it here, on the Sonos forum (not surprisingly perhaps), AV Forums, take your pick.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts