What is the point of a network streamer?

Bradley747

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello

If I have a PC or laptop (with bluetooth capability or airplay) with itunes music and Spotify and an amplifier with a bluetooth receiver or active loudspeakers with bluetooth capabilities or airplay, why would I need to buy a Network streamer like the Cambridge CXN?

I am struggling to get why such device is required when I can stream internet radio, spotify and itunes via aptx bluetooth...?

Have I missed something here?

cheers

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Probably not but there's a whole heap of people who baulk at using computers for streaming music and would rather buy a dedicated product.

manicm

Bradley747 said:
Hello

If I have a PC or laptop (with bluetooth capability or airplay) with itunes music and Spotify and an amplifier with a bluetooth receiver or active loudspeakers with bluetooth capabilities or airplay, why would I need to buy a Network streamer like the Cambridge CXN?

I am struggling to get why such device is required when I can stream internet radio, spotify and itunes via aptx bluetooth...?

Have I missed something here?

cheers

Many here would debate the value of dedicated streamer, but they do have their own advantages or conveniences especially with hires music. For one thing they do automatic bitrate switching (admittedly a pc can be setup to do this with additional software and faffing), they would have a dedicated soft or hard remote, and many of them can function as excellent dacs as well by including digital inputs. I personally see much value in a good streamer, while not wanting a pc for top flight hifi. Also I personally don't see the value in standalone dacs anymore since, as I mentioned, good streamers already act as such, or increasingly even integrated amplifiers these days. In fact the standalone dac is an anachronism to me.

Since i use my laptop for work and the odd A-rank game, I don't want to lug it around room to room for hifi duty. Others obviously will have different scenarios and pcs will work for them.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
My pc is in a different room and apart from invoicing I don't turn it on anymore ebay bank even this forum all done on my phone which controls my streamer it also can do my sky box and tv. I think for some computers are becoming a thing of the past.

jjbomber

grimharry said:
My pc is in a different room and apart from invoicing I don't turn it on anymore ebay bank even this forum all done on my phone which controls my streamer it also can do my sky box and tv. I think for some computers are becoming a thing of the past.

Try and find one that does punctuation!!!

Bradley747

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
could you please explain bitrate switching a little more?

if I stream spotify az 320 bps, a Cambridge CXN would not be able to improve that in any way would it?

Probably got the wrong end of the stick with this!

So a network streamer (like CXN) more a HIFI wish product than an absolute must have?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bradley747 said:
could you please explain bitrate switching a little more?

if I stream spotify az 320 bps, a Cambridge CXN would not be able to improve that in any way would it?

Probably got the wrong end of the stick with this!

So a network streamer (like CXN) more a HIFI wish product than an absolute must have?

No, the point is a PC will generally stick to one bitrate output, so for lower bitrates will either upscale it or not play it at all and for higher bitrates will either downscale it or not play it, eiher way you're not getting a bit perfect output, unlike a dedicated streamer which will (should) play the format at the correct bitrate without bothering the user to change any settings.

DCC

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I feel like I time traveled to the not too distant past Lhc. Meanwhile today there is an abundance of bitperfect player options for MAC or PC.

[/quote]

No, the point is a PC will generally stick to one bitrate output, so for lower bitrates will either upscale it or not play it at all and for higher bitrates will either downscale it or not play it, eiher way you're not getting a bit perfect output...

[/quote]

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts