What is the best way to connect second set of speakers

Martinp

Dec 8, 2019
Visit site
I would like to connect a speaker or pair of speakers in another room from my hifi, best way and best quality, excluding hard wiring.

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and Cambridge Audio CXA 60

scene

Hi - there's a number of ways of doing this, but the remote speakers will need to either be powered speakers (i.e. with their own in-built amplification) or will need to be connected to a remote amplifier (which in some cases will be the same box as the signal receiver). Your existing amp won't drive the speakers directly - like it does for the speakers wired into your amp.

Basically the route would be: Amp -> Transmitter -> Receiver -> Amp -> Speakers
- If you have Active speakers remotely, then the "Amp -> Speakers" part is wrapped up in the active speakers
- and if they're bluetooth capable speakers, you just need a bluetooth transmitter.

Have you got the additional speakers, or are you looking to buy some?

Samd

Hi - there's a number of ways of doing this, but the remote speakers will need to either be powered speakers (i.e. with their own in-built amplification) or will need to be connected to a remote amplifier (which in some cases will be the same box as the signal receiver). Your existing amp won't drive the speakers directly - like it does for the speakers wired into your amp.

- If you have Active speakers remotely, then the "Amp -> Speakers" part is wrapped up in the active speakers
- and if they're bluetooth capable speakers, you just need a bluetooth transmitter.

I had a CXA a couple of years ago and think it has zone A and B which can, of course, be controlled separately. If memory is correct he can then just wire directly?

Edit - just noticed the requirement for no wires!!

scene

I had a CXA a couple of years ago and think it has zone A and B which can, of course, be controlled separately. If memory is correct he can then just wire directly?

Edit - just noticed the requirement for no wires!!
Yes - I started typing a reply about Zone A & B - and then noticed the "excluding hard wiring" bit - easy mistake.

Martinp

Dec 8, 2019
Visit site

I am looking at getting some probably Bluetooth with built in amp

Question: What is the best transmitter for this situation, specification that is needed for it, any help would be good........

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
That's a tough one.

One option I came up with was one of those FM transmitters for cars. Plugged into a recording output (ie, full line level, not affected by the volume control), you could transmit over short distances and even add a few receivers.
I was going to use a kitchen radio for music in the, er, kitchen but decided that I could run wires instead.

There are professional solutions, of course (being a live sound engineer, I tend towards those) - I'd rather use RF gear than 2.4GHz, but 2.4GHz stuff can work just fine. Lots of options in that particular toy box. Some online research will help you narrow things down further.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts