what is the Arcam A70 like?

matthewpiano

Stick to Cyrus or look at one of the more expensive Arcam amps if you want to go a bit warmer.

The A70 is not a very good amplifier. I had one for a couple of months but couldn't live with its slow, boring sound. Beautifully designed and built (like all Arcam kit) but not a patch on their more expensive models, and easily bettered by budget amps from the likes of NAD, Marantz and Pioneer.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yup, i agree with MP

The Arcam A70 (like the A90 as well) had bags of power but the soundstage really lacked. Bass weight was light and the treble was a little too tinny sometimes.

The Arcam DiVA A85 was a completely different kettle of fish so if you can find one of those; id say it'd be a very good competitor against your Cyrus and IMO, would beat it.

What would be handy to know is what music do you listen to and what speakers/cables & interconnects do you have?

Like dan and MP I couldn't believe what i was hearing. It was so pedestrian, lacked emotion and drive - this is even compared with my A65 Plus. I was sitting down and tapping my fingers on the arm of the chair waiting for it to spring to life. But it didn't.

As a big Arcam fan I was shattered. I believe, the reason for the failure of the A70, it was a half-way house - a compromise. They had culled the A65 and A80 to accommodate the A70. Bad move, me thinks.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I also sort of agree - i had an A70 and it is beautifully made, presents great detail, has good clarity and a very good headphone out socket. However it was a bit lean in the bass for my standmounts which i personally prefer to floorstanders. The FMJ however is a fantastic amp with no such issues.

But that said by brother now has the A70 and partnered with BR5 floorstanders it sounds much much better and has loads of bass. So for me its all about what you partner it with.

A

Anonymous

I have the A70 with a pair of Quad floorstanders. I have to say I have found the A70 to be a bit of a chameleon really. At times I think it's wonderful - smooth, detailed and natural - seems to be particularly with well recorded jazz and female vocal. ÿAt other times the sound can be a bit recessed and just really not involving.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Arcam are designed for elderly people who listen exclusively to classical.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Captain Destructo:Arcam are designed for elderly people who listen exclusively to classical.

Haha...

My god; youre so wrong its scary; and the fact that you own one of the better Arcam amps is worrying!

matthewpiano

Yeah, don't agree with that comment Captain Destruction. The right Arcam components, partnered with the right speakers (Dyns, MAs, PMCs, Dalis) they can compete with anything else out there and sound dynamic, involving and just outright musical. Too many people judge Arcam purely on the entry level stuff which, in trying to provide elements of high end sound for beer money, tend to end up sounding overly safe.

A

Anonymous

Well after a lot of soul searching i`ve bought a cyrus 8vs2. I was happy with my cyrus 2 (had it new since 1990). Spoke to lintone audio and they said pretty much what you all said here. For what i lissen to (lots of metal/rock vinyl) better go with cyrus over arcam.So now proud owner of a 8 with a phone stage.

A

Anonymous

Captain Destructo:Arcam are designed for elderly people who listen exclusively to classical.

I'm in mid 40's and currently listening to Metallica - sounds pretty darn good to me.
...Oh s**t it's 'S & M' and that's the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra I can hear playing...damn it, maybe you're right!?

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:Yeah, don't agree with that comment Captain Destruction. The right Arcam components, partnered with the right speakers (Dyns, MAs, PMCs, Dalis) ...

Arcam do not partner well with Dynaudio, those speakers are too dull (tonally). I've heard the combination in stores and one sales assistant basically said that they combine the two just to avoid any brightness (not because the combination gells) , otherwise older customers might "walk out the door".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts