Question: What in my system is the weakest link??

My original thought was to build a surround sound setup, but found out I actually just enjoy stereo listening way more...

Turntable: Sony PS-LX300USB

Receiver: Denon AVR-X1000

Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685's

Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW10

Any insight, comments welcome!! Thanks!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Patrick Moonan said:
Question: What in my system is the weakest link??

My original thought was to build a surround sound setup, but found out I actually just enjoy stereo listening way more...

Turntable: Sony PS-LX300USB

Receiver: Denon AVR-X1000

Speakers: Bowers & Wilkins 685's

Subwoofer: Polk Audio PSW10

Any insight, comments welcome!! Thanks!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps there isn't one if you enjoy how it sounds. I've been down this road before and it's a mug's game. Upgrading something, which you then feel is outclassing something else, so you upgrade that, and so on, then you end up with a system that technically is exponentially upgraded compared to what you started out with but somehow you don't enjoy listening to it as much.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Not keen on any to be honest but for a vinyl based system you would be best to spend more on the turntable, I suggest Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

which are around £325 or Rega RP1 has its fans.

m0n5t3r

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
If you now want a proper stereo sound and not surround you may want to consider starting over, obviously depends on your budget etc. but a friend of mine recently went through the same system rethink and ended up selling it all and buying a pre-owned stereo amp and speakers and was far happier with the result.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Your turntable looks very budget. That said your amp has no phone input.

So you have two ways to go.

1) get a new amp witha phono stage and a 'decent' turntable. (visit Richer Sounds website for an idea of prices.)

Or

2) get a turntable with a dedicated phono amp to connect to your current amp.

Your amp is future proof in that it has USB and HDMI connections for any potential upgrades with a built in DAC - so streaming is covered too.

It has a sub output too plus if you do change your mind and decide to persue surround its an option still.

Best bet is check prices - then consider budget and future plans regards expanding your set.

D

Deleted member 116933

Really depends on your priorities..... If itsonly stereo you listen to get a stereo amp with digital inputs (so you can connect your digital device like a blu ray player or apple tv Blah blah). Somthing like MA airstream 100 in turn allowing you to also connect to a networked NAS drive. music at you finger tips!!

Or you could you get the NAD 3020 with slightly more connection options....both allow subwoofers to be connected for more BANG!. if you wish

I really would give you B&Ws better ampflication than what the denon is capable. Also look to second hand for good deals.

Personally i would spend more on ampflication than speakers just so I/you know those speakers are being driven as well as they can. I dont get the current trend of spend big on speakers and small on amps.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Perhaps there isn't one if you enjoy how it sounds. I've been down this road before and it's a mug's game. Upgrading something, which you then feel is outclassing something else, so you upgrade that, and so on, then you end up with a system that technically is exponentially upgraded compared to what you started out with but somehow you don't enjoy listening to it as much.

I agree with what you are saying and this is very good advice

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I feel the opposite, it can always sound better - quite often much better. This is a goal worthy of working towards in one way or another over whatever timescale you can / want to.

I think a good idea is to get out listening - get in show rooms go see boutique dealers and listen to systems to see what you like. This is something I should have done ages ago.

Listen to Contemporary style systems - mixed electronics with a set of speakers

Or house sound type setups, Meridian, Linn etc where its all their kit and speakers

If you hear much better systems than your own, its painful and expensive to go chasing it but at least you can get a point of reference to work towards. Also you will get to hear most importantly what like rather than chucking money at stuff you ultimately might not - thats where it gets expensive

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
No Edit button so I cant add this in, but | think there is the problem of opening the window - suggested by major fubar

As you improve the system you "Open the Window" to what its producing and you might not like the result.

This is largely because there is not a good foundation to the system and you hear it much clearer from better kit.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/system_optimization.htm - worth reading. So it could be worth keeping the exisiting kit and spend the effort and time on the systems foundation first - then look to upgrade the kit after.

I have always thought this about room acoustic products - but Roy is right about everything else he talks about there IMO

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:
No Edit button so I cant add this in, but | think there is the problem of opening the window - suggested by major fubar

As you improve the system you "Open the Window" to what its producing and you might not like the result.

This is largely because there is not a good foundation to the system and you hear it much clearer from better kit.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/system_optimization.htm - worth reading. So it could be worth keeping the exisiting kit and spend the effort and time on the systems foundation first - then look to upgrade the kit after.

I have always thought this about room acoustic products - but Roy is right about everything else he talks about there IMO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts