What is HDMI switching?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
That's it really - sorry if it's a silly question. I've read the term a number of times now, and just don't know specifically what it means!

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK, many receivers now offer the facility of connecting several HDMI sources to them, and being able to output the one you want to watch via a single connection to the TV. That's convenient, as it allows the picture and sound to be switched together - ie you select satellite, and the picture from your Sky box appears on the screen and the sound from it comes from the speakers. Switch to DVD and you get DVD picture on screen and DVD sound from speakers.

However, not all receivers with HDMI inputs and outputs can process the sound signals available on the connection - they merely switch the picture, and you need other connections for the sound. And not all source components give the best sound on HDMI - a Sky box, for example, will only give stereo via HDMI, and needs an optical digital connection you your receiver to deliver surround sound.

cabman

Sep 14, 2007
Visit site
The big let down with HDMI and AV amps is the need to have the amp on. I admit I took the digital scart idea and believed it to be true.

A

Anonymous

Quick follow-on question..........

Is there such a thing as Automatic HDMI switching? That is, in the same way that with Scart cables, when you powered up a source, it recognized it and switched sources accordingly.

PS. Yes, I do appreciate that I am being incredibly lazy in that it is only 1 extra button to press........... but it would be nice!

PPS. I'm running through an Onkyo 875 by the way.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts