What is a good speaker?

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Wifey was out yesterday so I enjoyed an extended listening session. I had the music revolving around in my head long after I had switched off the system which made me realise it is all about communication between myself and the speakers. I have, what some may consider, lowly speakers but they fulfilled their brief in providing listening pleasure and that is not always dependent on ultimate cost.

Reactions: Gray
Wifey was out yesterday so I enjoyed an extended listening session. I had the music revolving around in my head long after I had switched off the system which made me realise it is all about communication between myself and the speakers. I have, what some may consider, lowly speakers but they fulfilled their brief in providing listening pleasure and that is not always dependent on ultimate cost.
You've answered your own question. If it engages and entertains, that's my definition of a good speaker (good system) and cost is irrelevant. Some of the pleasurable system, in many respects, was my old A65+ amp/MA RS6 speakers.

Reactions: Al ears

Gray

Any speaker can be good - when listening to favourite music at realistic levels.
The brain has the power to compensate for imperfections (a major component in the popular perception of 'burn-in').
No doubt the better the speaker, the better the enjoyment though.....because the brain has to do less work to get it.

Perhaps you need to teach wifey some of your appreciation, maybe with some of her favourites. Or is she a lost cause?

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Any speaker can be good - when listening to favourite music at realistic levels.
The brain has the power to compensate for imperfections (a major component in the popular perception of 'burn-in').
No doubt the better the speaker, the better the enjoyment though.....because the brain has to do less work to get it.

Perhaps you need to teach wifey some of your appreciation, maybe with some of her favourites. Or is she a lost cause?
Wifey does enjoy music but happy enough to listen to Amazon Music via Alexa. She says that she has no time to sit down and is always on the go. Lol

Reactions: Gray

Gray

...happy enough to listen to Amazon Music via Alexa.
As more and more people increasingly are.
I was given a little Kitsound Hive Bluetooth speaker - would never have bought one. Must admit it sounds surprisingly good at times - for around 30 times less than the cost of my PMC speakers, you're right when you say that a speaker doesn't have to be expensive to sound good (if not exceptional).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts