What integrated amplifier should I pick for my B&W 606 s3 speakers?

Thorseng

Aug 30, 2024
Visit site
Hello everybody

Do you guys have any good recommendations for a good integrated amplifier for my speakers 🔊. I know that they run best with an amplifier that delivers 2 x 80 watts. So that’s one of my requirements🙌 my budget is UP to 1200£.

Hope that you guys can help

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Thorseg,

there are many alternatives, but just a few excellent ones. I will look for amp like Cambridge Audio CXA 81 mk1 ( last pieces before new generation mk2 started). Here mk2 is better than mk1 but gap is not big. You may catch it for better price. Or even Cambridge Audio CXA61 or Rega Brio will work very good. Current Brio is some 2-4months before the end of production, new generation is nearly ready. So this will be also for better price. Brio is just analogue amp with very good MM phono preamp, if you use turntable this is very good choice also for your B@W. Brio has a lot of energy same like CA amps or Arcam Radia. B@W 6XX speakers are still quite lively on treble, I recommend to avoid amp with such characteristics. If your limit is 1200 pounds, even new Rega Elex mk4 is fitting with very good Dac inside. Last but not least also new Marantz M1 streaming amp will have no problem to drive your speakers. I like personaly also Bluesound Powernode. It costs a bit less than Marantz but this is very good amp, system, streamer, control app is also very good. With Marantz M1 two best products in its class if you want integrated streamer amp around 1000 pounds. And I recommend to have a listen on your own before you make decision what to buy. BR.

Reactions: Thorseng

Thorseng

Aug 30, 2024
Visit site
Hi Thorseg,

there are many alternatives, but just a few excellent ones. I will look for amp like Cambridge Audio CXA 81 mk1 ( last pieces before new generation mk2 started). Here mk2 is better than mk1 but gap is not big. You may catch it for better price. Or even Cambridge Audio CXA61 or Rega Brio will work very good. Current Brio is some 2-4months before the end of production, new generation is nearly ready. So this will be also for better price. Brio is just analogue amp with very good MM phono preamp, if you use turntable this is very good choice also for your B@W. Brio has a lot of energy same like CA amps or Arcam Radia. B@W 6XX speakers are still quite lively on treble, I recommend to avoid amp with such characteristics. If your limit is 1200 pounds, even new Rega Elex mk4 is fitting with very good Dac inside. Last but not least also new Marantz M1 streaming amp will have no problem to drive your speakers. I like personaly also Bluesound Powernode. It costs a bit less than Marantz but this is very good amp, system, streamer, control app is also very good. With Marantz M1 two best products in its class if you want integrated streamer amp around 1000 pounds. And I recommend to have a listen on your own before you make decision what to buy. BR.
Thanks a lot for your response. These are actually some integrated amplifiers I already have been looking at. So it’s really nice to have someone recommending them also. That’s a big help. But, the one I am really interested in is the CXA 81 mk1. I think it looks great and I’ve heard that it should pare very well with my speakers. I’m not sure, but isn’t it right that it doesn’t have a dedicated phono? And therefore I would have to buy a turntable with RIAA right?

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Thorseng, I am glad to give you some guide, some recommendation.

Regarding turntable, is just important if you use some or plan to use one. If you would like to use one TT, than amp with integrated phono stage is saving some money for standalone phomo preamp component and cables between phono and amp. You are right Cambridge Audio either 81 mk1 or 81 mk2 does not include phono preamp. Here you will need a small external phono like Rega Phono MM or MC depending which cartridge you will select. But this way of using TT with external phono is better than TT with integrated phono preamp inside TT. Phono preamp include very very sensitive circuits and it just sounds better if they are under "their own hood" to prevent increased noise etc. So you need to decide which system you wish to build. If based on streaming (Marantz M1, Bluesound...) or Phono (some Rega amp or Arcam with phono preamp) or both. Here is the king new Rega Elex mk4 with both very good phono and Dac as well just without streamer. Streamer like Bluesound Node or WiiM you need to buy separately. Also small Hegel like H95 is very good, soundwice like Rega Elex. Hegel has also streamer integrated, but without phono inside. Till the end of this year will come new Rega Brio also with digital inside. Price will be some 100-200 eur more than today. But amp like Cambridge Audio CXA 81, Rega Elex, Hegel H95, Arcam A15 have juice enough to drive also floorstanders, not only bookshelf speakers. This means you will have some reserve for future, if you decide to upgrade speakers. BR.

Reactions: Thorseng

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Welcome Thorseng!

My suggestion as an alternate to the CXA81 is the Rotel A14 (MK II). I have been very pleased with the A12 for several years, the difference being 80 vs. 60wpc, which is plenty to drive my speaker groups. The Rotel has a superior preamp for my needs, including an excellent phono section and pairs of coaxial and optical inputs. It does not have the balanced inputs of your favorite, if that is important important to you. Two user interface matters: a) The display of the A14, which I value, is superior for my tastes and needs, at least to the CXA's; and b) Consider evaluating/ comparing the remote controls with which you'll possibly spend most time as I do. (The only difference with an MKII may be a TI vs. the AKM DAC of the A14.)

Rotel and B&W used to be close collaborators suggesting a possible special if not superior synergy, though I believe that amp-speaker matching is highly overthought and oversold.

Enjoy your shopping and eventual integrated!

Thorseng

Aug 30, 2024
Visit site
Hi Thorseng, I am glad to give you some guide, some recommendation.

Regarding turntable, is just important if you use some or plan to use one. If you would like to use one TT, than amp with integrated phono stage is saving some money for standalone phomo preamp component and cables between phono and amp. You are right Cambridge Audio either 81 mk1 or 81 mk2 does not include phono preamp. Here you will need a small external phono like Rega Phono MM or MC depending which cartridge you will select. But this way of using TT with external phono is better than TT with integrated phono preamp inside TT. Phono preamp include very very sensitive circuits and it just sounds better if they are under "their own hood" to prevent increased noise etc. So you need to decide which system you wish to build. If based on streaming (Marantz M1, Bluesound...) or Phono (some Rega amp or Arcam with phono preamp) or both. Here is the king new Rega Elex mk4 with both very good phono and Dac as well just without streamer. Streamer like Bluesound Node or WiiM you need to buy separately. Also small Hegel like H95 is very good, soundwice like Rega Elex. Hegel has also streamer integrated, but without phono inside. Till the end of this year will come new Rega Brio also with digital inside. Price will be some 100-200 eur more than today. But amp like Cambridge Audio CXA 81, Rega Elex, Hegel H95, Arcam A15 have juice enough to drive also floorstanders, not only bookshelf speakers. This means you will have some reserve for future, if you decide to upgrade speakers. BR.
Hello again.

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer me!

I’m planning getting a TT, and I’ve looked at the Pro-ject primary E. My father in law said that all products from pro-ject should be pretty good, and the price isn’t that high, so that’s a bonus. But you know, I’m not an “audiophile”, and I’m all satisfied with a decent TT with an integrated RIAA😊 But do you think that it would work fine with the CXA 81 mk1, pro-ject TT, and of course my speakers?

BR

Thorseng

Aug 30, 2024
Visit site
Welcome Thorseng!

My suggestion as an alternate to the CXA81 is the Rotel A14 (MK II). I have been very pleased with the A12 for several years, the difference being 80 vs. 60wpc, which is plenty to drive my speaker groups. The Rotel has a superior preamp for my needs, including an excellent phono section and pairs of coaxial and optical inputs. It does not have the balanced inputs of your favorite, if that is important important to you. Two user interface matters: a) The display of the A14, which I value, is superior for my tastes and needs, at least to the CXA's; and b) Consider evaluating/ comparing the remote controls with which you'll possibly spend most time as I do. (The only difference with an MKII may be a TI vs. the AKM DAC of the A14.)

Rotel and B&W used to be close collaborators suggesting a possible special if not superior synergy, though I believe that amp-speaker matching is highly overthought and oversold.

Enjoy your shopping and eventual integrated!
Thanks a lot mate!

That’s very interesting actually. I haven’t looked at Rotel yet. But I will definitely look into it. I’m just happy with good sound overall, good streaming and a good turntable. That is what lives up to my taste and needs.

Thanks a lot for taking your time responding me. I am very happy about that!

BR

Reactions: Rodolfo

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Of the current new amps the Arcam Radia A15 is well in your budget has the power you need and a nice phono stage you could also have a look at the Roksan K3 some good deals on that at the mo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts