Question What integrated amplifier matches well with Tannoy precision 6.4?

Tannoy866

Dec 25, 2020
Visit site
Just wondering what sound signature would compliment my Tannoy 6.4

I have around £1000 to spend from the new or "used" market

I will be streaming from android Tidal mobile....... I own a gen1 Chromecast, worth buying something new?

Thanks

MartinEvoke50

Aug 30, 2020
Visit site
Just wondering what sound signature would compliment my Tannoy 6.4

I have around £1000 to spend from the new or "used" market

I will be streaming from android Tidal mobile....... I own a gen1 Chromecast, worth buying something new?

Thanks
Roksan K3 amplifier or even K2 amplifier
Arcam FMJ A39
Creek Destiny
Marantz PM8006 ( just under £1000 new )
Technics SU-A900
NAD C375

Are you happy with the sound of your speakers in the room they are in?
If you are just about any amp will suit as long as it has all the inputs and facilities you need.
If you can find the Creek for that budget then I would suggest you buy it, although you might struggle to find some in the above list within your budget. The Creek was £1750 new

Having heard the Precision 6.1 at Richer Sounds a few years ago, I'd disagree with @Al ears regarding any amp. I heard them with a Cyrus Lyric 09, and although detailed and punchy, they sounded like they could do with smoother amplification.

I could reel off suggestions but the best thing to do, as I've done with Monitor Audio in the past, either phone Tannoy or email them and ask what amp they would suggest. All speaker companies will have their preferred brands to match well with their speakers.

I am sure that whatever PP heard, and he is very much entitled to his opinion of course, was perhaps a mismatch of a setup. There is no reason to believe an 8 ohm 90dB speaker cannot be adequately driven by the majority of modern amplifiers, even lowish powered tube amps.
Whether they actually sound good is a different matter entirely.

I am sure that whatever PP heard, and he is very much entitled to his opinion of course, was perhaps a mismatch of a setup. There is no reason to believe an 8 ohm 90dB speaker cannot be adequately driven by the majority of modern amplifiers, even lowish powered tube amps.
Whether they actually sound good is a different matter entirely.
I am a silly billy. I was referring to tonal qualities. As you know synergy is everything when it comes to ultimate sound quality, such as Rotel/B&W, Arcam/MA blah blah blah...

To my ears, albeit limited to the standmounted version, was it needed a slightly smoother amplification.

And a couple of others with Tannoys on a different forum use a valve and a warmer SS amp.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts