What if I wire speaker to wrong terminal?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am in the final stages of wiring my Yamaha 863 and KEF speakers as part of my new home cinema. Its a new room and I had the cables trunked in the wall. I have all speakers cabled to the amp bar one of rear ones.

My problem is that the builder clipped the end of the cable and I'm not sure which cable is which. Will I damage the speakers if I connect the wrong one to the wrong terminal?

Its 5 meters from the Amp so phase tester wont stretch.

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dublin HiFi:
I am in the final stages of wiring my Yamaha 863 and KEF speakers as part of my new home cinema. Its a new room and I had the cables trunked in the wall. I have all speakers cabled to the amp bar one of rear ones.

My problem is that the builder clipped the end of the cable and I'm not sure which cable is which. Will I damage the speakers if I connect the wrong one to the wrong terminal?

Its 5 meters from the Amp so phase tester wont stretch.

Thanks

I had this exact problem! You won't damage anything. It's just trial and error. Wire up and see how lucky you get when you run the calibrator. Then change what needs to be changed and calibrate again.

nads

does the cable not have text on one side?

or are not the profiles different?

all that will happen if you connet it wrong is it will be out of phase.

go get a 5m bit of anyother cable and use the tester.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Wire the rear cables to your front speaker terminals on the amp and play a bit of radio - speech should be central (in phase) and not hard to place (out of phase).

Once you know which is correct you can mark the cables.

Reconnect everything to front/rear speakers and away ya go.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

or you could connect then try a THX optimiser. This should tell you which speaker to alter, if any.

A

Anonymous

If you attach a battery to one end of the speaker cable and a small bulb to the other you will see if you have got hold of the right cable.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that guys all sorted now.

Yes the speaker has writing on it but its hidden in the trunking. I had marked the cable by cutting one cable slightly shorter than the other but someone clipped the two the same length.

Ready to start calibrating speakers now

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts