What hifis taste in music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
spiny norman said:
knaithrover said:
renting from a library? how grubby...Spotify is much more civilised

No, it's the renting from a library then copying the CD and ripping it to iTunes that's seriously grubby.
There are different ethics on file sharing. Those of a certain age like me can remember cassette tapes and recording vinyl. Music sharing can help artists,especially those who are less well known. Yes most people now try music before buying it. apart from a couple of artists that i will always get a new release from i do the same, either on spotify or via the library. Where i am not grubby is what i do with them. The Daft punk has gone back to the library, the copied cd is now a coaster and the album has been removed from itunes. Frank Turner, who i also discovered this way, has now sold me five albums so has made his money. Artists might get a fraction of a penny from spotify if i had listened on there but there is nothing qwrong with library borrowing, especially if you dont copy it and remember it is grubby to rip cd's even if you own them and illegal as well.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
ID. said:
So can I file this thread under "OP thinks his/her irrational preferences are somehow incontrovertible truths" just like all those other rants when there is a difference of opinion?

Edit - just checked out McMurty and Ritter. Not really to my taste either. Generic. Dime a dozen. IMHO. (all tongue in cheek, of course) ;)
Cant quote on Ritter as i havent heard it yet. McMurtry is matter of taste i suppose, yes i know like daft punk is. Like another favourite of mine Billy Bragg he only appeals to a small audience although hopefully bigger than daft punk. I've liked a lot of what WHathifi have recommended, in fatc the majority of it. Its just so off the beam for me with daft punk.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
shep1968 said:
it is grubby to rip cd's even if you own them and illegal as well.

No, I think it's acknowledged that's OK and allowed now, provided you keep the original disc and don't peer-to-peer/share the rip online.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
spiny norman said:
shep1968 said:
it is grubby to rip cd's even if you own them and illegal as well.

No, I think it's acknowledged that's OK and allowed now, provided you keep the original disc and don't peer-to-peer/share the rip online.
Nope. Still illegal the law hasnt changed akthough as you say accepted as ok. Never peer to peered music, always bought an album that i liked after borrowing it. always disposed of those i didnt

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
I think you have misunderstood my comments. I take lots of music but I also have certain tracks that will test different things on the speakers.

As for WHF they seem to use different music on every review so thats not what WHF do at all.

Apologies. I did misunderstand. I change up the music I test with too.

I can't speak for WHF, but I don't think it is absolutely essential to keep the same music for every test, but I can see the point. Like have a consistent reference system. I don't think the reviewers are the same every time, and there are multiple reviewers, so I think that would effect musical choices too.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Angel by Massive Attack used to be used to test the bass, not sure whether it still is. If a speaker can cope with that it can cope with most things.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
You're all right :)

We listen to all sorts. Some have been on rotation for years, while new music gets added to our collection (NAS, CD, vinyl) every month. And yes – shock, horror – different reviewers often use their own music, too. It tends to work out as a pretty decent mix of classical, jazz, rock, pop, dance, electronic.

Our Spotify playlist is a decent reflection.

2013: http://whf.cm/playlist2014

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of, much less heard, the vast majority of items on those playlists.

smiley-frown.gif

Chris

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
You're all right :)

We listen to all sorts. Some have been on rotation for years, while new music gets added to our collection (NAS, CD, vinyl) every month. And yes – shock, horror – different reviewers often use their own music, too. It tends to work out as a pretty decent mix of classical, jazz, rock, pop, dance, electronic.

Our Spotify playlist is a decent reflection.

2013: http://whf.cm/playlist2014

Can't remember any of those being referred to in a review, most common review artists seem to be Kate Bush, Massive Attack, Amanda Palmer, Eminem and Holst The Planets.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
shep1968 said:
And if by magic WHF recommend listening to a Billy Bragg track, albeit one that the original album which it is on sounds like it was recorded in a box

Good track though. Found myself singing "The world turned upside down" this morning, much to the annoyance of my children

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
hammill said:
shep1968 said:
And if by magic WHF recommend listening to a Billy Bragg track, albeit one that the original album which it is on sounds like it was recorded in a box

Good track though. Found myself singing "The world turned upside down" this morning, much to the annoyance of my children
The later stuff isnt anywhere near as good imho. Last album left me cold although i have seen him twice live this year. Try singing A13, see what they say about that!!

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
We will try not to take it personally... The playlists are more 'what we're listening to' than 'what we're testing with' though there's naturally some correlation! Playlist in the magazine is test discs.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
shep1968 said:
hammill said:
shep1968 said:

The later stuff isnt anywhere near as good imho. Last album left me cold although i have seen him twice live this year. Try singing A13, see what they say about that!!

Not heard anything more recent, probably just as well by the sound of it. Saw him once in Oslo in 84 or 85.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
hammill said:
shep1968 said:
hammill said:
shep1968 said:

Not heard anything more recent, probably just as well by the sound of it. Saw him once in Oslo in 84 or 85.
A13 was Billy Braggs take on the classic Route 66 but using a road to Shoeburyness instead. Was one of his original live songs from back in the early 80's that he sadly doesnt play much any more. Great if you can hear the live version, it was never on a album.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Angel by Massive Attack used to be used to test the bass, not sure whether it still is. If a speaker can cope with that it can cope with most things.

well.. you could try James Blake ' not long now' :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Joe Cox said:
We will try not to take it personally... The playlists are more 'what we're listening to' than 'what we're testing with' though there's naturally some correlation! Playlist in the magazine is test discs.

Oh go on, take it personally. That would be much more fun.
smiley-laughing.gif

Chris

TRENDING THREADS