What hifis taste in music

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
One of the things that i like about what hifi is their recommendations in music. A few years ago they recommended listening to a system with a Warren Zevon album. Now i had never heard of him but borrowed the album and was hooked. The hockey song would be one of my desert island discs. So when they said that daft punk album was one of the best of the year i thought that i had to have a listen. Well i know that taste is subjective and i consider myself to have a wide taste in music but really? The album is garbage, 80's synth at its worst imho. It may be well produced but is so awful as to defy comprehension. The last album i heard that was close to being as bad was them crooked vultures. I'll let them off the 60p that it cost me from the library and suggest that they listen to a little James McMurtry to bring out the best of the low frequencies in their system. Try we cant make it here of the clildish things album or Cheneys toy off justus kids!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
So what you actually mean is you bought an album without bothering to listen to it first and now you want someone else to blame? Grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
So what you actually mean is you bought an album without bothering to listen to it first and now you want someone else to blame? Grow up and take some responsibility for your own actions.
What part of "I'll let them off the 60p it cost me from the library" didnt you understand? Looks like you cant understand irony and a little tongue in cheek humour either.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Was in a tongue in cheek way trying to pass on congratulations for introducing me to some music i would never have heard otherwise. I did what i usually do when i find out about a new artist. See if he has any albums at the local library and borrow one for 60p. I then copy it and rip it to itunes. If i likeit i tend to buy the CD and then buy some of the other albums that the artist has produced so financially they dont lose out. I heard a josh ritter song that iliked on the radio a couple of weeks ago so am going down the same route. The same happened with Frank Turner and i now own all his albums. Am testing a naim 5 combo on Saturday so will be listening to some McMurtry and Zevon there probably.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
So can I file this thread under "OP thinks his/her irrational preferences are somehow incontrovertible truths" just like all those other rants when there is a difference of opinion?

Edit - just checked out McMurty and Ritter. Not really to my taste either. Generic. Dime a dozen. IMHO. (all tongue in cheek, of course) ;)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ID. said:
So can I file this thread under "OP thinks his/her irrational preferences are somehow incontrovertible truths" just like all those other rants when there is a difference of opinion?

raiders_of_the_lost_ark_end.jpg

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think WHF choice of music is weird. They have a reference system but then seem to play all different music which seems picked at random, why don't they have a selection of reference albums to play. I agree about Daft Punk.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Are we talking about WHF as if it is a person in its own right? I always assumed the range of music was down to the fact that the reviews are carried out by several people and because they try to get a variety of music that could be representative of the broad range of music that any potential reader may listen to, but you can never cover it all.

TBH, I much prefer the what are you listening to thread for introducing me to a broader range of new and old music.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Well from the reviews it seems they only play a few tracks but that maybe because they only mention a few, I would like to see a list of all music used like many other mags. From what they mention it seems a very limited range mostly modern and some classical, of course on modern cds you can have problems with compressed and poor quality music. They rarely play any jazz or it seems classical piano which are good tests IMHO.

BigH said:
Well from the reviews it seems they only play a few tracks but that maybe because they only mention a few, I would like to see a list of all music used like many other mags. From what they mention it seems a very limited range mostly modern and some classical, of course on modern cds you can have problems with compressed and poor quality music. They rarely play any jazz or it seems classical piano which are good tests IMHO.

Quite right. Most of my test pieces are well recorded (not overly engineered) 60's and 70's Jazz and Blues.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
BigH said:

Quite right. Most of my test pieces are well recorded (not overly engineered) 60's and 70's Jazz and Blues.

Well I would not limit it just to jazz but think they should test all different genres, jazz, classical, folk/country, vocals, rock etc.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:

I'm just guessing here, but the whole avoidance of classical piano and jazz (or at least avoiding referring to it much in reviews) seems to fit in with their whole down to earth and accessible schtick. They also have relatively brief reviews, unlike the sprawling ones in some places, so that would limit how much music they actually refer to.

From some hifi mags I get the feeling that the list of music they publish is kind of showing off a kind of "Look how esoteric my music tastes are." I'm not really sure it tells me much when so much of a review seems to be focused on little details like comparing for different kit how clearly they can hear the fingerwork on the clarinets in a certain piece of music I'll never listen to. Some of those reviews start to just come across as lists of those kinds of points.

Ideally you want to find a happy medium. Whether or not that also leads to me discovering new music doesn't really come across my mind.

I have plenty of other places I'll look.

Maybe they could save us all a lot of trouble by basing all of their reviews on Dark Side of the Moon :twisted:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
BigH said:

I'm just guessing here, but the whole avoidance of classical piano and jazz (or at least avoiding referring to it much in reviews) seems to fit in with their whole down to earth and accessible schtick. They also have relatively brief reviews, unlike the sprawling ones in some places, so that would limit how much music they actually refer to.

From some hifi mags I get the feeling that the list of music they publish is kind of showing off a kind of "Look how esoteric my music tastes are." I'm not really sure it tells me much when so much of a review seems to be focused on little details like comparing for different kit how clearly they can hear the fingerwork on the clarinets in a certain piece of music I'll never listen to. Some of those reviews start to just come across as lists of those kinds of points.

Ideally you want to find a happy medium. Whether or not that also leads to me discovering new music doesn't really come across my mind.

I have plenty of other places I'll look.

Maybe they could save us all a lot of trouble by basing all of their reviews on Dark Side of the Moon :twisted:

Yes can agree to a certain extent but if they do play certain music then it not fully testing. So for instance they tested some speakers and they sounded fine on several trackss but when yoy play some music the bass guitar comes in the woofers turn to jelly or the double bass comes in the driver bottoms out or you play some drum cymbals and after 10 mins it drives you mad. Thats why when I test speakers/hifi I take certain tracks that I know I want the speakers to cope with.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Yes can agree to a certain extent but if they do play certain music then it not fully testing. [...] Thats why when I test speakers/hifi I take certain tracks that I know I want the speakers to cope with.

Ah, so you don't test them fully either. You only test them with a select number of tracks that you are familiar with. Kind of like what WHF does...

Maybe someone from WHF can chip in to give an explanation of the length of the reviewing process and music involved. I'm certain it is more than just the handful of tracks mentioned in the reviews. Now the problem really boils down to a complaint that the music they test with isn't the same as the music you test with. Then again, the music you test with isn't the same as the music I test with either.

But really, there are some many other factors and variables too. e.g. the rest of the kit they test them out with (the reference system or anything else they hook kit up to) is different, it's a treated room, so performance in an actual home could be quite different, etc., etc., but you can't cover all variables or all styles of music. Even just sticking to classical it would be hard. I have no interest in hearing test results with classicak piano music because I never listen to it, but I'd be interested in hearing how it performs with renaissance choral works. I guess I'll just have to take the review as a starting point and test it out with my own preferred music in store, etc.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ID. said:
BigH said:
Yes can agree to a certain extent but if they do play certain music then it not fully testing. [...] Thats why when I test speakers/hifi I take certain tracks that I know I want the speakers to cope with.

Ah, so you don't test them fully either. You only test them with a select number of tracks that you are familiar with. Kind of like what WHF does...

I think you have misunderstood my comments. I take lots of music but I also have certain tracks that will test different things on the speakers.

As for WHF they seem to use different music on every review so thats not what WHF do at all.

musical0111

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
shep1968 said:
The_Lhc said:
What part of "I'll let them off the 60p it cost me from the library" didnt you understand? Looks like you cant understand irony and a little tongue in cheek humour either.
well said shep 1968 eat that lhc your so vain,
help.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
musical0111 said:
help.gif

Vain? That comment was many things but vain? When you learn what words actually mean then I might take whatever you say seriously but until then don't waste your breath. Oh and "eat that"? How old are you, 12?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shep1968 said:
The_Lhc said:

Oh it was supposed to be funny? Right, I see, well, if it takes you 7 months to think up some "humour" that weak I really wouldn't bother next time.

musical0111

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
musical0111 said:
help.gif

Vain? That comment was many things but vain? When you learn what words actually mean then I might take whatever you say seriously but until then don't waste your breath. Oh and "eat that"? How old are you, 12?
my my what a grumpy old man,, are you victor meldrew in dsguise,and yes i am 12 going on 13 and love life to much, to bother about a know all mr know all
rofl.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts