What HiFi Magazine Headphones Super Test

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys just read through the excellent issue of WHF mag. Was reading the reviews of all the different headphones and was quite surprised the Goldring NS1000s were not mentioned??

http://www.whathifi.com/review/goldring-ns-1000-noise-cancelling%29

You have rated these as 5* on this website when they were £100 so now they are £50 it makes them a even better buy?? Surely these should have been included in the headphones head to head section???

A

Anonymous

Well, even more shocking that there were no Denon (or Ultrasone) headphones tested!

And the high end was rather poorly represented - would have liked to have seen the Senn hd800 & the HifiMan He-6 (as well as the T1 - wonder why they didn't even reprint their previous review, especially as it was last year's award winner), as well as higher end in-ear headphones e.g ACS, Head Direct, JH Audio, Westone, Ultimate Ears...

But hey, it's not easy to get them all and cover it. And it was still a very good read. I especially enjoyed the review of the Grado ps1000s ("Cons: everyone else in the room can hear your music" / "Your wife will ask you to turn down the hifi")

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
that's probably the truest statment they could have made my gf keeps telling me I am going to make myself deaf until i made her put them on and she said they were louder on the outside than the inside!

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
After reading the mega test I thought it was a poor selection of headphones with some dubious results. There are some real big players missing from this line up and the reviews certainly do not tally up with what I have heard from some of the headphones.

The review of the Monster beat pros is one that stands out as being particularly misleading; I think it is pretty well known in the Head-Fi community that the offerings from the beats range of products yield poor performance to price. Yet in this review they gain four stars ? Bose Quietcomfort 5 stars ? Another is the Grado PS1000 being hailed as the ultimate Hi-Fi can.......er no its not, first off the build quality at £1795 should be impeccable, anyone who has owned a set of Grado's will know there build quality is middle of the road at best. Grado's also have a coloured sound signature which is prevalent right across there range of products, some people love it and others don't. Surely the ultimate Hi-Fi can should offer a more neutral/natural sound which is more representative of the original recording.

The only conclusion I have drawn from these reviews is that certain headphone manufacturers must contribute considerably to the what Hi-Fi advertising revenue ;)

A

Anonymous

eggontoast said:
The only conclusion I have drawn from these reviews is that certain headphone manufacturers must contribute considerably to the what Hi-Fi advertising revenue ;)

Ooo, that's fighting talk! You may be banished to head-fi (and what an awful place, I only go there to get info, then escape as quickly as possible)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:

Ah, that old corruption rubbish? Is that the best you can do?

If that's the only conclusion you have drawn, you probably need to try a bit harder – like considering that opinions may vary, rather than making lazy, groundless insinuations.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Doesn't take much to get a rise from you does it Andrew.

Andrew Everard said:
If that's the only conclusion you have drawn, you probably need to try a bit harder – like considering that opinions may vary, rather than making lazy, groundless insinuations.
Well the only other conclusion was that you were deaf but that can't be true. Of course opinions vary and surely the verdict should reflect this, you cant tell me that your whole team came to these conclusions.

Also how did the magazine come up with this limited number of review samples, how come so many big players were not included.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Andrew Everard said:

That's the most pathetic comment I've seen on here in a long time, what exactly did you expect? If you'd accused me or my colleagues of something like that you'd have got a hell of a lot worse back.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
eggontoast said:
you cant tell me that your whole team came to these conclusions.

You know what? I can.

eggontoast said:
Also how did the magazine come up with this limited number of review samples

40+ pairs of headphones? Yes, very limited.

eggontoast said:

Yes, it does, but I make an exception for groundless insinuations about reviews being paid for with advertising, which does not happen on this magazine, and will not while any of us are working here.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
eggontoast said:
you cant tell me that your whole team came to these conclusions.

You know what? I can.
I must admit I am suprised

Andrew Everard said:
eggontoast said:
Also how did the magazine come up with this limited number of review samples

40+ pairs of headphones? Yes, very limited.
No need for the sarcasm because it is limited, there are some really big players missing some of which have never had a WHF review

Andrew Everard said:
eggontoast said:

Yes, it does, but I make an exception for groundless insinuations about reviews being paid for with advertising, which does not happen on this magazine, and will not while any of us are working here.
Good, glad to hear it but you don't know until you ask do you. I know for a fact that certain magazine reviews can be influenced by advertising revenues.

The_Lhc said:
That's the most pathetic comment I've seen on here in a long time, what exactly did you expect? If you'd accused me or my colleagues of something like that you'd have got a hell of a lot worse back.

EDITED BY MODS and user banned for three days. Please do not attack other members

A

Anonymous

I have to agree that it is really unfair to accuse WHF of being dishonest, and based mainly on what they didn't review. In any such mega-test there are going to be gaps, even on "XLR Digital Cables £200 - £250 Mega Test". Imagine attempting a speaker mega-test - just about impossible - and this is why the internet and forums in particular fill such an important gap.

Though I am still surprised that there were no Denon headphone reviews, I am sure this is down to some logistical problem getting them rather than oversight or a conflict of interest.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
For further clarification... I have no idea how other magazines run their business, but I can yet again categorically state that here at Haymarket advertising does not 'buy' editorial. We enjoy full editorial independence - always have done, always will do. And that includes the choice of products we review plus the ratings those products get.

As to 'missing' brands - we did try and source a lot of new brands/models for this round-up (we even got headphones from retailers, not just direct from manufacturers), to compare alongside some familiar favourites (there'd be no point testing the new products in isolation). Some people declined to supply, and with 40+ pairs in the test, we weren't going to push every single brand.

We continue to do headphone reviews every issue, and will endeavour to fill any 'gaps' in brands, assuming the relevant brands/models are widely available and current.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
peteAllen said:
You may be banished to head-fi (and what an awful place, I only go there to get info, then escape as quickly as possible)

Very true. I don't have the mandatory 17 pairs of headphones covering all prices and styles (some modified of course) to become a member.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
As for the article itself. The only time Mrs H has read a review is when she saw the words "Fanny Wang" in the title. :rofl:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Retne said:
matengawhat said:
louder on the outside than the inside!

That, I presume, means these headphones are the headphone equivalent of the TARDIS?

I was wondering whether he had the cans the wrong way round? I understand the idea of open-backed leakage (yuk, that's a slightly disturbing image!) but surely they must be louder on the inside?

I have followed this thread with great interest, particularly as I have not yet been able to get hold of a copy of the magazine article itself. It is a pity the attempt by WHF to conduct such a difficult megatest such as this has been belittled by a few forum members - but I guess thats the nature of forums, anybody can join. I personally applaud WHF's efforts I cannot think of another magazine that would attempt such a test. As I will shortly be in the market for a set of 'phones myself it is great to see something like this to help shorten my shortlist, if you know what I mean. Keep them coming guys!

Clare Newsome said:
Thanks! It's the first Headphones Supertest (let alone megatest) we've done for several years - expect it to be the first of many.

The September issue is still on sale in shops (and will be until August 23rd, while stocks last), and also available as a digital edition here.

Clare, seems I might just have to give the digital edition a go. It's pretty difficult to get to the shops when you're stuck on a oil rig in the Atlantic!!

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I thought that the Headphone test was great and it helped me to make my first 'proper' headphone purchase (Grado SR80i), so I'm very grateful for the comprehensive and informative nature of the test.

I don't know why anyone wants to, or thinks they have a basis for, making such ridiculous accusations of corruption as we've seen on this thread. I think it's something to do with the anonymity provided by the internet - I'm sure these individuals wouldn't have the nerve to walk into someone's office and make an accusation like that face to face.

Thanks WHF, keep up the good work.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Retne said:
matengawhat said:
louder on the outside than the inside!

That, I presume, means these headphones are the headphone equivalent of the TARDIS?

I was wondering whether he had the cans the wrong way round? I understand the idea of open-backed leakage (yuk, that's a slightly disturbing image!) but surely they must be louder on the inside?

i just meant in terms of her perception - she felt i was listening at a very loud level but when she put them on she realised they were at a responsible level!

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
eggontoast said:
After reading the mega test I thought it was a poor selection of headphones with some dubious results. There are some real big players missing from this line up and the reviews certainly do not tally up with what I have heard from some of the headphones.

The review of the Monster beat pros is one that stands out as being particularly misleading; I think it is pretty well known in the Head-Fi community that the offerings from the beats range of products yield poor performance to price. Yet in this review they gain four stars ? Bose Quietcomfort 5 stars ? Another is the Grado PS1000 being hailed as the ultimate Hi-Fi can.......er no its not, first off the build quality at £1795 should be impeccable, anyone who has owned a set of Grado's will know there build quality is middle of the road at best. Grado's also have a coloured sound signature which is prevalent right across there range of products, some people love it and others don't. Surely the ultimate Hi-Fi can should offer a more neutral/natural sound which is more representative of the original recording.

While I totally disagree with your conclusion (I hate to see uncalled for accusations of corruption), I see the point of your other comments.

I know WHF review teams really like the sound of Grado cans, but in general Grado isn't nearly that well regarded among headphone enthusiasts... It seems to be a very polarising brand due to the very particular style of presentation.

Also, Beats and Bose are not respected among headphone enthusiats...

While the test included 40 cans, that doesn't really mean very much for any particular price point... Clearly the very expensive Grados were unlikely to face serious competition from the majority of the cans in the Supertest...

If the world's best headphones are to be declared, then the top contenders should be in the test lineup: Audeze LCD 2, HiFiMan HE6 & HE500, Senheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T1, Denon AH-D700, Stax Omega etc...

So the basic point that the Supertest is controversial is understandable. That said, I still see no reason to detract from your main point by tossing around accusations...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well we have reviewed and highly rated the Beyer T1s and Sennheiser hd800s already - reviews on this site (sorry for no links but I am on iPad ), including comparing them to Grados. And if Stax answered our review requests we'd love to test them too. Rest I'd need to check out.
But as previously stated, we widely sourced - including from retail - for this test; we couldn't cover everything this time, but our headphone tests continue!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts