What HiFi Awards 2008

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:
seakingadvice:Andy Clough:Yup, blog with winners list on its way now... just give me 20mins and all will be revealed!

Hi Andy,

I remember that someone mentioned that the Denon 2809 was due to be reviewed before the Awards issue and posted online. Any luck with that review? Thanks!

Crikey, give us a chance! Just published all the Award winners and yes, we're in the middle of testing the Denon 2809. Will post the review as soon as it's ready.
emotion-1.gif

Great! Look forward to reading the review and whether it can unseat any of this year's Award Winners. Am I right to assume that the Denon 2809 has not been put against the 2008 Award Winners yet so there might still be some hope for Denon?

BTW, is the Yamaha 1900 also in the progress of being tested? Given Yamaha's success with the 863 and 763, it would be interesting to see whether their higher end models would also beat the competition.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
seakingadvice:Andy Clough:
seakingadvice:Andy Clough:Yup, blog with winners list on its way now... just give me 20mins and all will be revealed!

Hi Andy,

I remember that someone mentioned that the Denon 2809 was due to be reviewed before the Awards issue and posted online. Any luck with that review? Thanks!

Crikey, give us a chance! Just published all the Award winners and yes, we're in the middle of testing the Denon 2809. Will post the review as soon as it's ready.
emotion-1.gif

BTW, is the Yamaha 1900 also in the progress of being tested? Given Yamaha's success with the 863 and 763, it would be interesting to see whether their higher end models would also beat the competition.

Yes, spoke to Yamaha earlier this week and we'll be receiving the RXV-1900 next week. Mr First Tests Editor Lucas is aware and will be scheduling it in for review shortly, I'm sure.

A

Anonymous

No offense to all those who appear to be dripping and drooling over
some annual awards from some mag or other. BUT I'm really struggling
to understand what all the fuss is about.

Now come on - be honest, is there something wrong with me?

IS one of my genes out of kilter?

Has my short-circuit brained?

Should I be getting all excited when the Oscars come around too?

Sorry
- it just doesn't do it for me. Just as some bits of HiFi kit sound
amazing to me and rubbish(?) to others, and vis-versa - I guess some like
all the back-slapping and foot-licking of such events. But I just
cant see what it adds to anyones HiFi experience.

I'm sure all the above message posters (and more) will throw
insults and concrete slabs in my direction for even daring to question
such a revered topic. But what the HECK - sometimes we all need a poke
in the eye and a wake up call.

I welcome all replies, feed-back (and enlightenment!). I wont take it personally (unless you want me to).

In anticipation of being struck off!
Serenity ;-)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Serenity:

Sorry

I welcome all replies, feed-back (and enlightenment!). I wont take it personally (unless you want me to).

Serenity ;-)

Yes, I suppose getting exclusive, prolonged access to the latest products in the market, and comparatively testing them, covering a huge range of subject areas and price points is a bit of a non-event, really. Silly us going to all that effort, eh?

I'll just phone the Academy and tell them to cancel the Oscars for lack of interest, too
emotion-5.gif

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Serenity:Should I be getting all excited when the Oscars come around too?
Depends. Are you interested in films? Would you like some suggestions as to what might be a good film to go and see? Are you interested in who is considered to have done some good, professional work in the last year? If so, then I'd say yeah, you should be excited. If you couldn't care less who's made a good film, then no.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Serenity:

Sorry

Serenity ;-)

Yes, I suppose getting exclusive, prolonged access to the latest products in the market, and comparatively testing them, covering a huge range of subject areas and price points is a bit of a non-event, really. Silly us going to all that effort, eh?

I'll just phone the Academy and tell them to cancel the Oscars for lack of interest, too
emotion-5.gif

you could have just asked serenity whats the best, saved you all that hard work, unpaid extra hours etc! .... ;-)

A

Anonymous

Well I'm still alive and ticking. So here goes with Part Two:-

Hi Clare
Its good to hear from you. Its the first time I've managed to elicit a reply from your good self - {Never ever thought it would happen} - so this hasn't been a total waste of time.
emotion-10.gif

The two key words in my post are "annual awards". That is where my gripe is, not with the great job ALL HiFi mags do. You appear to be confusing the work you do over the year, with this annual award thingy.
I think (please correct me if I stray) that you are saying that HiFi consumers can ignore all the good stuff done over the year and just glean all the info thats necessary from this annual award??

So, can you see - I'm still no wiser as to WHY this "award" adds anything to the "Reviews", "Best-Buys", "Hot news" etc that have been put together over a year. Do readers require their memories jogging? Do they need the info repeating and repeating?

Hi Simon

Not one but TWO - {Gawd, it really is my lucky day} replies from the revered WHF team.
I'm going to pop out quick and buy a lottery ticket.

Yeap, I love films. But whether a film has a bunch of nominations and oscars has zero effect on my decision to watch it or not.
I honestly cant believe the sheep that flock to see C**P just because its got X nominations and Y oscars and stars Z actors!
So, for Film reviews (as with HiFi reviews) I can see the justification.

But "Awards" what does that do for appreciators of HiFi? The only thing that comes to mind is that it gives a select few manufactures a few extra sales from the sheep and ditherers.

John D

"What Knobs?"
Now thats MY KINDA mag!

All,

I hope you enjoyed this brief side step from repeats of your favourite Forum Classics, such as:
"Speaker Cable"
"Interconnects"
and the classic "Gotham-Gac1"

All feedback welcome {and appreciated, as I havent been convinced by replies that my brain is cross-wired}.

Serenity ;-)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Clare, it has nothing to do with the lengths you go to to review stuff (the constant reminders of which can get just slightly grating, from time to time).

Its about getting yer knickers in a twist when really the reader will, often, just think "oh, so they won that award. meh. whatever".

if you passionately agree with an award, good for you. If you passionately disagree, you'll presumably come here and argue the toss, which is equally as pointless and inconsequential. As are the awards, as you're always telliung us not to just buy 5 star stuff.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
So if you're looking for some advice as to what we consider to be the best products of the moment, then the Awards may be of assistance to you; if not, then they probably aren't.

Many readers seem to look forward to the Awards issue each year, and making derogatory remarks about them isn't really fair...

We simply do our best to deliver the best possible advice to those who put their faith and trust in us.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
not sure i get the argument serenity

from what i gather (and i dont work for the mag) the awards is a chance for all the kit reviewed in isolation or group tests at various points in the past 12 mo to be stacked up vs all rivals (even those released since an individual peice of kits release) and tested

also i am darn sure there are items that wont have been in any big groups tests at all in 12mo before but could do with some close reviews vs rivals?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, that's about the point of it - plus, of course, the chance to get products first (eg Panasonic 35 and 55 Blu-ray players; the Sony receivers; new Roksan Kandy stereo pair; new KEF speaker ranges etc) and put them up against our existing Best Buys.

And i'm sorry, Al, if my reminders of all we do to review items are 'grating' for you - but you're a regular, so i'm afraid you're going to have to bear with me: those who visit our Forums less frequently may not understand our test procedures as thoroughly, and as there's so much misinformation out there about everything WHF, I feel the need to state the basics!

A

Anonymous

PJPro:PS3. It's on the micro site.I voted for it. But would have liked Stanley to have won it.

Strange choice then?ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:PS3. It's on the micro site.I voted for it. But would have liked Stanley to have won it.

Yes, if you wanted the well-known tool company to win, why didn't you vote for it rather than for the PS3?

A

Anonymous

WhaHeey"! We are on a roll now Clare - {a second reply} I'm so happy I could crush a grape.

So, I think you are saying "our existing Best Buys are out of date. Ignore what we have been banging on about for the last 12 months and just take note of the Awards listings"?

Has anyone got a helpful answer to the black hole we are all sinking?

Hi Andrew
(A hat-trick of esteemed persons from the editorial team - today really is MY day - I'm lovin it!)
Not only that but praise indeed:-
And in all the years we've been doing the Awards, you are the only one to have spotted this fatal flaw.

Well done you...

You are more than welcome. My services come very cheap. Is there any other area of this Forum or WHF or other similar publication, I can help you with?

Isn't this just the best forum for a sideways eye poke, and the most fun you can have for a few pennies!

Bring it ON.

S ;-)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Serenity:But "Awards" what does that do for appreciators of HiFi? The only thing that comes to mind is that it gives a select few manufactures a few extra sales from the sheep and ditherers.
al7478:if you passionately agree with an award, good for you. If you passionately disagree, you'll presumably come here and argue the toss, which is equally as pointless and inconsequential. As are the awards, as you're always telliung us not to just buy 5 star stuff.
I just enjoy reading it. Might influence my decision in a future purchase, might not. Not everything I read has to have a purpose in my life - it's entertainment...

A

Anonymous

...and hasnt this brightened your otherwise average day?

S ;-)

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:seakingadvice:Andy Clough:

Hi Andy,

emotion-1.gif

Yes, spoke to Yamaha earlier this week and we'll be receiving the RXV-1900 next week. Mr First Tests Editor Lucas is aware and will be scheduling it in for review shortly, I'm sure.

Great! Get Yamaha to send you the 3900 for review as well. I'm sure that they will be more than happy to accomodate given that they are on a roll.

So, we can expect to see the reviews posted sometime in November? How long does it typically take to review an AV Receiver?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
seakingadvice:How long does it typically take to review an AV Receiver?

Once a review is scheduled and the equipment received, several weeks by the time everyone has had a play and we have done some listening/viewing sessions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts