What has happened to Arcam?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
JoelSim: see the theory is valid arcam = slippers Slippers play a vital role in sound deadening (furry inners) and making you feel comfortable so that you can listen to music in a more relaxed manner

I normally soak my feet in a bowel of warm water.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

It's about time Arcam takes a cue from Cyrus. Cyrus have been leaders for so long and the new CD6SE has now set a new benchmark, even for products 2 or 3 notches up in terms of price.

Arcam was very good with the Alpha series and after that has been rubbish. It's latest products are also rubbish. Re-invent or this will be another British manufacturer that will close shop very soon (IMO)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:
It's about time Arcam takes a cue from Cyrus. Cyrus have been leaders for so long and the new CD6SE has now set a new benchmark, even for products 2 or 3 notches up in terms of price.

Arcam was very good with the Alpha series and after that has been rubbish. It's latest products are also rubbish. Re-invent or this will be another British manufacturer that will close shop very soon (IMO)

Strong words there, EW - especially in light of the fact that every Arcam Solo produced to date has been a class-leading five-star product...

A

Anonymous

The solo is aimed at a different market and for it's purpose is a marvellous product.

I think Arcam need to pull their finger out (especially in the amp side of things), but they have a loyal enough following to turn in a profit.

I recall a poster the other day saying he prefers the solid build and look of his Arcam player and would choose that over the Cyrus XTSE and DAC-X, even if they cost the same, owing purely to looks/build. With dedicated followrs like that Arcam can sit back save their R&D money...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have you heard the new FMJ amplifiers/players for yourself?

Whilst they would'nt be my choice they are imo better than the predecessors and fairly priced for what you get. Its just another take on hifi and they stay pretty close to their 'brand sound' which a lot of people seem to like. Arcam have their eggs in enough baskets as probably not to worry about closing shop just yet. Having said that, the present economic climate and possibility of further decline will make life for many manufacturers and punters harder. Far Eastern manufacturing drives prices down (or gives you more for the money, which ever way you look at it) so anything designed and built here has to be very good to survive the next few years. Recessions cut the weaker links out, I guess thats the upshot of it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:

The solo is aimed at a different market and for it's purpose is a marvellous product.

At £600 and 1k they are aimed at the same market but customers with different preferences.

matthewpiano

I don't actually think Arcam need to change. Yes, its a particular sound and many people, including myself, just can't leave with its overall cuddliness. However, there are plenty of people who absolutely love the sound of their Arcam kit and I certianly don't think the company needs to worry about its future. For those of us who like a different sound there are other equally illustrious brands such as Cyrus, Creek and Cambridge Audio to choose from. If all hi-fi suited all listeners the industry would be boring.

drummerman:

Have you heard the new FMJ amplifiers/players for yourself?

Whilst they would'nt be my choice they are imo better than the predecessors and fairly priced for what you get. Its just another take on hifi and they stay pretty close to their 'brand sound' which a lot of people seem to like. Arcam have their eggs in enough baskets as probably not to worry about closing shop just yet. Having said that, the present economic climate and possibility of further decline will make life for many manufacturers and punters harder. Far Eastern manufacturing drives prices down (or gives you more for the money, which ever way you look at it) so anything designed and built here has to be very good to survive the next few years. Recessions cut the weaker links out, I guess thats the upshot of it

This was my point. It seems when it comes to surround sound amps + Solo and the DIVA cd players they do little wrong. So why can they not replicate that when it comes to [recent] integrated amps. It's frustrating for Arcam fans (like me), I personally feel short changed by their shortcomings, how long can they us to remain loyal?

It seems where other big companies have improved on existing models, Arcam have stood still.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:thfcwestlower:

At £600 and 1k they are aimed at the same market but customers with different preferences.

£600/£1000 for Cd, amplification and DAB/FM = £200/£330 per component (or £300/£500 excl DAB). I would've thought this was a different market to that of the FMJ range.

Edit - I know that it's USP is it's convenience - ie great sound in one small box, but still on the above basis it works out a lot cheaper too.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:drummerman:thfcwestlower:

£600/£1000 for Cd, amplification and DAB/FM = £200/£330 per component (or £300/£500 excl DAB). I would've thought this was a different market to that of the FMJ range.
Well thfcwestlower, you can nitpick but its aimed at folks that want quality playback as opposed to cheap micros. People that want separates performance but not their demand on space if you get what I mean.

A

Anonymous

Can't seem to find a review of the FMJ36 cd-player on this website - how come?

A

Anonymous

drummerman:thfcwestlower:drummerman:thfcwestlower:

Well thfcwestlower, you can nitpick but its aimed at folks that want quality playback as opposed to cheap micros. People that want separates performance but not their demand on space if you get what I mean.

I can see it's USP, and I dont mean to nitpick, but it's not aimed at the same market as the FMJ range. Not being argumentative, I respect your views on here and always lookout for your posts.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:drummerman:thfcwestlower:drummerman:thfcwestlower:

I can see it's USP, and I dont mean to nitpick, but it's not aimed at the same market as the FMJ range. Not being argumentative, I respect your views on here and always lookout for your posts.

Fair play but we could start the longest posting within a posting here
emotion-1.gif
. For 1k or whathever the thing retails (solo) you could almost buy the new FMJA18/CD17 and some cheap DAB tuner. Different market or the same customer with different priorities bearing in mind they will sound roughly similar if not exactly the same?

drummerman:thfcwestlower:drummerman:thfcwestlower:drummerman:thfcwestlower:

Fair play but we could start the longest posting within a posting here
emotion-1.gif
. For 1k or whathever the thing retails (solo) you could almost buy the new FMJA18/CD17 and some cheap DAB tuner. Different market or the same customer with different priorities bearing in mind they will sound roughly similar if not exactly the same?

Yep. . . . .Unless you've got tiny rooms I don't really see much advantage in the Solo.

You never know, it just could be the longest. . . .

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
thfcwestlower:drummerman:thfcwestlower:

Edit - I know that it's USP is it's convenience - ie great sound in one small box, but still on the above basis it works out a lot cheaper too.

No it isn't. The case itself is quite a chunk out of the overall cost).

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
MusicLover:Can't seem to find a review of the FMJ36 cd-player on this website - how come?

As I've said many times before, we promised 1000+ reviews when the site went live, but that doesn't include some of the older products in the magazine's Buying Guide.

We tested the FMJ CD36 back in Sept 05. It got 3 stars: "A disappointment, despite a top-class technical spec," we said at the time.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:THREAD CLOSED.

PS Arcam are tops!

Nope, wrong. I've decided Meridian are cooler! I've just bought a new tuner from them! Black, with green and blue lights and those rectangular buttons - Arcam is just sooo passe (add accent!LOL)!

...Arcam are third...they also come after Lyngdorf who make that really snazzy amp I want...

But nope, Arcam's top products (FMJ range) and the mini range are brilliant.

A

Anonymous

Yes, please close this thread. Let's face it, Arcam are the Volvos of the HiFi world...

T

the record spot

Nothing wrong with the V70.....plenty of poke when you need it.....(ducks).

A

Anonymous

Volvos are fantastic cars,! They are, however, heavily underrated. I used to drive around the back blocks of NSW and the NT in one - they go like stink, handle dirt roads with aplomb, but everyone (except Colin Powell) thinks they are boring. That's why I made the analogy.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Taksinridgeback:Yes, please close this thread. Let's face it, Arcam are the Volvos of the HiFi world...

Whats wrong with a Volvo? (I have a V50)

(Although the Honda Hornet is purely for fun)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well it will surprise you to learn that I drive an automatic estate, albeit a 325i. However in my defence I did have an Alfa up until the baby was born but struggled to fit a couple of bags of shopping in the boot let alone a buggy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts