What has happened to Arcam?

Coming from a supporter of Arcam products [as most of you will know] I feel kinda deflated, after recent attempts by the company to launch new amps. What is going wrong? Their earlier efforts, Alpha and early DIVA range were cracking for the money (some will probably snigger at the comment).

I see the new FMJ A18 is being unwrapped, although to be honest, I'm overwhelmed with apathy. I hope the A18 can restore the brands reputation as a class-leader, within its price bracket. If Arcam can make me eat 'humble pie' I'll be pleased.
emotion-21.gif

T

the record spot

Must admit, like Cyrus, Arcam's gear looks a little stale these days. I'm not usually bothered with aesthetic appeal over sound quality (far from it), but the design's been the same for a LONG time now. Could do with a shakeup IMO. Same with Cyrus. And a new fangled slot loading drawer isn't quite what I had in mind either!
emotion-2.gif

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
It depends on whether you like the looks or not - Naim for instance dont tend to change their appearance much either.

Personally i think the Arcam FMJ range remains one of best looking amps around the market - i would probably say i only prefer the Primare look to the FMJ. The Cyrus well yes i agree that it doesnt look too good at all.

I wouldnt get too deflated yet - HiFi Choice gave a glowing review to the A38 with 5 stars and the comments like class leader were very good indeed. Also their latest issue has the new player the CD37 similarly rated with 5 star sound / performance / value. It is only really WHF that seems to have an issue with Arcam amplifiers although they do like the Solo and Mini models.

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Must admit, like Cyrus, Arcam's gear looks a little stale these days. I'm not usually bothered with aesthetic appeal over sound quality (far from it), but the design's been the same for a LONG time now. Could do with a shakeup IMO. Same with Cyrus. And a new fangled slot loading drawer isn't quite what I had in mind either!
emotion-2.gif

i like the arcam look esp in black....but i agree with you the cyrus front it can be given a billions stars but its still looks sooo fisher price, i had a ''play'' with a cdp and amp (6s and 8 i think) and the volume knob when turned kinda came in and out as you turned it and felt so light and flimsey i was surprised it didnt come off in my hand!

A

Anonymous

Cyrus, however have unveiled a stonking new range of CD players and I believe the 8 series amps still offer fabulous value for money.

There are pros and cons of the same design (for all designers mentioned),. Cons obviously being that the design may look stale, but the pros outweight this significantly imo

- You can add a brand new component to your system and it still matches a component boiught x years before

- There is a significant cost associated with developing and machining the dies that create these boxes. A new one means higher prices passed onto the consumer and thereofre lower vfm

- The units have become iconic and it really is a testament to the designers that they still look pretty good

Since Arcam did 'shake things up' with a whole new look after the alpha series, I cant say I am particularly blown away with any of their amps

Thanks guys, the build and looks isn't paramount. Its the sound [or lack of sonics] that concerns me the most.

I auditioned the A70 last year and compared with my A65, although a tad more refined, lacked guts or the willingness just to get up and drive a song with any conviction.

A

Anonymous

timwileman:the record spot:Must admit, like Cyrus, Arcam's gear looks a little stale these days. I'm not usually bothered with aesthetic appeal over sound quality (far from it), but the design's been the same for a LONG time now. Could do with a shakeup IMO. Same with Cyrus. And a new fangled slot loading drawer isn't quite what I had in mind either!
emotion-2.gif
i like the arcam look esp in black....but i agree with you the cyrus front it can be given a billions stars but its still looks sooo fisher price, i had a ''play'' with a cdp and amp (6s and 8 i think) and the volume knob when turned kinda came in and out as you turned it and felt so light and flimsey i was surprised it didnt come off in my hand!

ive never experienced poor build quality with any Cyrus amp. The small boxes are built like tanks. However the cd drawers are/were disgraceful. They rattle, are flimsy, very cheap feeling. Hopefully the new slot loading players have eradicated this issue

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yeah i agree

When demoing at Sevenoaks I was shocked when i heard the Arcam DiVA A90 integrated. It sounded gutless and hollow. It was partnered later with an Arcam DiVA P90 but it didnt really make that much of an improvement.

We unplugged the A90 set-up and connected my Arcam Alpha 9 integrated and 9P power amp with my Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and matched it with the M/A RS6 and B&W 684 speakers and the 2 guys at the shop were blown away by the sound it produced.

They both liked the A90 set-up but when they heard my system they didnt know what to say! I did say to them at the demo that the A90 sounded awful!

They both agreed that my Arcam Alpha set-up would be hard to beat for my budget and also they said that even with alot of their expensive separates in the shop they wouldnt know what to compare it against without spending a lot of time listening to them again!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I had the A70 and agree it is a detailed amplifier and has many strong points but is a little bass lean. However the FMJ is a completely different kettle of fish from my listening and there is certainly no lack of drive on its bass output on the A32 at all.

Hence i think the decision to move to an all FMJ range could be a very good thing indeed.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Recent Arcam product reviews in all the magazines have been really positive.

From what I've heard the A70 and A90 were simply blips and they have been superceded in all ways. My A85/P85 combo doesn't lack drive as some have been accused of, but as always it comparative in that they will never sound like Naim. It's all down to whether you want to listen for hours to a more laid-back, detailed sound with great soundstage or to a faster, more in-your-face sound that will probably become tiring after a while.

JoelSim:Recent Arcam product reviews in all the magazines have been really positive. From what I've heard the A70 and A90 were simply blips and they have been superceded in all ways. My A85/P85 combo doesn't lack drive as some have been accused of, but as always it comparative in that they will never sound like Naim. It's all down to whether you want to listen for hours to a more laid-back, detailed sound with great soundstage or to a faster, more in-your-face sound that will probably become tiring after a while.

I'm not a Naim fan, anyway. Although I can kinda understand what you say, let's not exonerate Arcam from producing mediocre amps over recent times. For instance, why do they consistantly produce AV amps that really cut the mustard (not forgetting the Solo), yet the 2 channel offerings, are at best, luke warm?

John Duncan

I hope I can hear your biamped setup soon - I think the issue with recent Arcam amps (Diva anyway) is that you need to biamp them (and they certainly recommend and champion this approach) for them to be any good (maybe you can confirm Joel, forgive my use of that generalised phrase), which makes them more expensive options than your average integrated. Thoughts?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I had an alpha 7 for a while, and the A85 was better. Having said that I have only listened biamped.

Let me know when you're free John and we'll set it up and the reverse Primare listening.

JohnDuncan:I hope I can hear your biamped setup soon - I think the issue with recent Arcam amps (Diva anyway) is that you need to biamp them (and they certainly recommend and champion this approach) for them to be any good (maybe you can confirm Joel, forgive my use of that generalised phrase), which makes them more expensive options than your average integrated. Thoughts?

I know this meeting between Joel and your good self is to compare systems. But what is the chances of you becoming a convert?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The intention isn;t to see who's system sounds the best as that is very subjective. I'm just keen to hear his and for him to hear mine. Simply would be interesting.

JoelSim:The intention isn;t to see who's system sounds the best as that is very subjective. I'm just keen to hear his and for him to hear mine. Simply would be interesting.

Sorry. . .should of made myself clearer. As you said a week or two ago [paraphrasing] to compare (not mines better than yours, playground comparison) but to see how your two systems present themselves.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
timwileman:the record spot:Must admit, like Cyrus, Arcam's gear looks a little stale these days. I'm not usually bothered with aesthetic appeal over sound quality (far from it), but the design's been the same for a LONG time now. Could do with a shakeup IMO. Same with Cyrus. And a new fangled slot loading drawer isn't quite what I had in mind either!
emotion-2.gif

I can now get involved in an Arcam debate! As I am a newly paid up member of the FMJ range owners club (dvd player but I use it for cd playback), I can honestly say that it looks, sounds and feels top class equipment. I've never pressed open on a disc spinner and heard such a solid well made drawer open towards me. The sound is liquid smooth and oh so accurate. I played a lot of cds at the weekend (my first since I bought it). Kings of Leon and John Legend sounded absolutely sublime.

I know the post was about Arcam's new stuff but people were comparing the looks to be as boring or obvious as Cyrus stuff. I wouldn't buy Cyrus purely because of what they look like. I just read the brilliant review in this months edition and it could cost £200. I don't want that glittery shoe box on my rack. One thing that does annoy me is the Arcam av receivers are over priced and under spec'd, otherwise I would be getting another FMJ box.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails: I know the post was about Arcam's new stuff but people were comparing the looks to be as boring or obvious as Cyrus stuff. I wouldn't buy Cyrus purely because of what they look like. I just read the brilliant review in this months edition and it could cost £200. I don't want that glittery shoe box on my rack.

So you wouldnt use the XTse/DAC-X for £200 despite it being light years ahead of your cd (dvd) player in terms of how it sounds? I didnt realise people were so fussy about what it looks like. Each to their own, and I know Im biased as I have some Cyrus equipment, but how can you not like the look of this:

cyrus20_hark1b.jpg

?? you mad man
emotion-2.gif

Gerrardasnails:timwileman:the record spot:Must admit, like Cyrus, Arcam's gear looks a little stale these days. I'm not usually bothered with aesthetic appeal over sound quality (far from it), but the design's been the same for a LONG time now. Could do with a shakeup IMO. Same with Cyrus. And a new fangled slot loading drawer isn't quite what I had in mind either!
emotion-2.gif
i like the arcam look esp in black....but i agree with you the cyrus front it can be given a billions stars but its still looks sooo fisher price, i had a ''play'' with a cdp and amp (6s and 8 i think) and the volume knob when turned kinda came in and out as you turned it and felt so light and flimsey i was surprised it didnt come off in my hand! I can now get involved in an Arcam debate! As I am a newly paid up member of the FMJ range owners club (dvd player but I use it for cd playback), I can honestly say that it looks, sounds and feels top class equipment. I've never pressed open on a disc spinner and heard such a solid well made drawer open towards me. The sound is liquid smooth and oh so accurate. I played a lot of cds at the weekend (my first since I bought it). Kings of Leon and John Legend sounded absolutely sublime. I know the post was about Arcam's new stuff but people were comparing the looks to be as boring or obvious as Cyrus stuff. I wouldn't buy Cyrus purely because of what they look like. I just read the brilliant review in this months edition and it could cost £200. I don't want that glittery shoe box on my rack. One thing that does annoy me is the Arcam av receivers are over priced and under spec'd, otherwise I would be getting another FMJ box.

Great stuff Gerrard. Once again, it proves that reviews aren't the "be all and end all." Sure, reviews act as a good guide, but nothing beats your own lugholes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts