what do you think of quality of Harbeth ?

Younjoong kang

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
I bought new harbeth speaker, Shl5 plus.
they have many scratches.
But the store where i bought says it is Okey.

please see pictures below.
And tell me whether it is ok or not.

KakaoTalk_20210812_153350683_02.jpg

scratch.jpg

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Have you inspected these closely? and is everything securely fixed? If so and you are happy, this level of damage is unlikely to affect the sound quality, which is the most important factor. Have you listened to them and found them OK, or will your dealer let you try them at home to make sure they are fine?. As long as you are satisfied with the sound quality, I guess it comes down to personal choice and/or willingness to compromise. i.e., can you get a good enough deal to make the minor damage something you can live with? I don't know enough about Harbeth speakers to be able to offer any qualititive advice, but believe them to be of good quality and well built, Have you tried to contact them to assess the cost and availability of a repair? Will the dealer offer you a warranty? These are factors that may sway your overall position. As always, buying damaged or second-hand goods comes with risk, but can be a risk worth taking on occasion.

Younjoong kang

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
Have you inspected these closely? and is everything securely fixed? If so and you are happy, this level of damage is unlikely to affect the sound quality, which is the most important factor. Have you listened to them and found them OK, or will your dealer let you try them at home to make sure they are fine?. As long as you are satisfied with the sound quality, I guess it comes down to personal choice and/or willingness to compromise. i.e., can you get a good enough deal to make the minor damage something you can live with? I don't know enough about Harbeth speakers to be able to offer any qualititive advice, but believe them to be of good quality and well built, Have you tried to contact them to assess the cost and availability of a repair? Will the dealer offer you a warranty? These are factors that may sway your overall position. As always, buying damaged or second-hand goods comes with risk, but can be a risk worth taking on occasion.
I bought the new one. And i opened the box and I found those scratches. The sound quality is very good. I am sure that those scratches do not affect the sound quality.
In my country, South Korea, audio-lovers in the biggest audio community say this speaker has big problem because it is new one. But the store and the company which imports Harbeth speaker say they are OKEY.
So I am asking how audio-lovers in UK where Harbeth is made think.

D

Deleted member 108165

I guess one should really expect more from a an expensive pair of speakers, and this does look like shoddy workmanship and poor quality control, but to discover the scratches you have removed the grilles... Harbeth's are designed to work best with the grilles in place.

I've had my Harbeth's for over a year and have never had the inclination to remove the grilles, and doubt I ever will, so I cannot comment on what is behind them. Finish is vitally important on expensive speakers but the real joy of these is the sound they produce. Personally, I would just put the grilles back on and sit back and enjoy what they can do.

If you are unhappy with the finish then you have the option to return them and purchase different speakers.

Reactions: Al ears

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Apologies, I mis read your post initially. You say you have bought these as new, and presumably at retail price. did the dealer point out the damage? If not - and assuming you are in the UK, you should be able to return to the dealer and have them repaired or replaced, (at no cost to you).

Florestander

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I bought the new one. And i opened the box and I found those scratches. The sound quality is very good. I am sure that those scratches do not affect the sound quality.
In my country, South Korea, audio-lovers in the biggest audio community say this speaker has big problem because it is new one. But the store and the company which imports Harbeth speaker say they are OKEY.

From your note above, I can certainly understand your concern. Is it possible for you to contact Harbeth Directly and ask what they can do to rectify the issue, either directly or via your local distributor/importer. If this ais a qulaity control issue, they (Harbeth) may be interested in hearing of your experience.

That’s not the standard of a new Harbeth. The SHL5 + is superseded by the XD model, so this might be unsold but it’s not new, in the sense of made recently.
You might like to look at Harbeth’s own user group here, or contact them directly, but I suggest you get your money back and start again. It’s conceivable these are factory B grade if they are electrically perfect, but I’m immediately distrusting unless this was made crystal clear to you.

D

Deleted member 108165

That’s not the standard of a new Harbeth. The SHL5 + is superseded by the XD model, so this might be unsold but it’s not new, in the sense of made recently.
You might like to look at Harbeth’s own user group here, or contact them directly, but I suggest you get your money back and start again. It’s conceivable these are factory B grade if they are electrically perfect, but I’m immediately distrusting unless this was made crystal clear to you.

Excellent point, Nopiano, these could indeed be B grade stock as I'm sure Harbeth wouldn't attempt to sell these as A grade.

Reactions: nopiano

AndyCC72

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
That’s an absolute liberty, when you’re spending top dollar on a new product it should be pristine from both an operational and aesthetic perspective. I’d send them back.

Were they advertised or described as new? If misrepresented I'd fling them back through the door and demand a replacement and/or a hefty discount.

As others have suggested the + version have been superceded by the XD models.

This isn't the first time I've read about issues with Harbeth. Having home demoed and like the P3s, but IMHO they are way over priced and I don't think the build quality is of the standard of other brands.

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Younjoon Kang is being disingenuous. He forget to mention that Harbeth sent him a replacement woofer, to change out that damaged one. He also failed to mention that he has also posted videos on Youtube complaining about this issue, while Harbeth is working with him to solve his problems. This sounds like a smear campaign.

I can state that my recently bought Harbeth C7es3-XD are flawless and extremely well built.

Harbeth C73.jpg

Younjoon Kang is being disingenuous. He forget to mention that Harbeth sent him a replacement woofer, to change out that damaged one. He also failed to mention that he has also posted videos on Youtube complaining about this issue, while Harbeth is working with him to solve his problems. This sounds like a smear campaign.

I can state that my recently bought Harbeth C7es3-XD are flawless and extremely well built.

View attachment 2704
and very nice looking if I can say so.

Reactions: Surly Sid

Younjoong kang

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site

View attachment 2704
Maybe, you made a mistake. I have naver received any mail from Harbeth. The store where I bought it gave me just small discount lately. But the importer have never said "it is not ok". I don't do any YouTube. I just watch YouTube. I hope to get replacement woofer from Harbeth, or just any reply. They completely ignore me.

Younjoong kang

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site

View attachment 2704
Please, let me know the link of the YouTube you mentioned.

Younjoong kang

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site

Attachments

• 20210823_103108.jpg
    20210823_103108.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 10

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts