What do you think is the worst abum/song ever?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I can't believe that some people actually think that Snow Patrol, Ash and Led Zep (for instance), who all played all their instruments and wrote their own stuff, can be classed as the worst ever?! I mean, even if you don't like them, that's pretty ridiculous. Boyzone, Spice Girls, Westlife, Samantha Fox (to name just a few)..... are you telling me they are better than the three bands mentioned?

A

Anonymous

Like the OP the albums and songs I mentioned are what I think is complete rubbish posing as real music. I think if I was to include novelty records etc I would pick the Mr Blobby song.

A

Anonymous

I made a mistake a while ago, In the woolworths closing down sale I got 'the feeling- twelve stops from home' album and i think that it was pretty terrible there was one good song on there that was any good, and that was it. I just saw it at £1 and thought that might be worth a try, I think it was the worst spent pound ever. It is in the dusty, rarely played end of my collection!

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Nothing to do with their 'technical skills' - I just personally find 'Stairway to Heaven' to be a piece of overblown overrated pretentious twaddle which leaves me cold - Surely just because they played their own instruments and wrote their own songs doesn't mean that the results have to be universally admired and held in awe? Just as I find James Joyce's 'Ulysses' to be one of the most absorbing and rewarding pieces of literature I have ever read, other people just don't get it, which is fair enough ! The question was 'What do you think is the worst album/song ever' and in my universe, that honour goes to 'Stairway to Heaven' and I can't understand why it is so ridiculous that I should have that opinion. And just because I don't like that particular song doesn't mean that I regard the dubious 'musical' output of the miscreants that you mentioned any higher - the fact is, I just wouldn't bother listening to them in the first place. Now, I'm off to listen to some Hendrix, and maybe some Muse...and where did I put my 'Mr Blobby sings Neil Young' cd !

matthewpiano

'Whats Going On' by Marvin Gaye. Its an absolutely atrocious album IMO.

The pop drivel thats been mentioned already is below worst. And I include Snow Patrol in that. I absolutely cannot stand them.

Led Zep were superb though and I love 'Stairway...' although I can completely understand why some would find it a bit OTT.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:'Whats Going On' by Marvin Gaye. Its an absolutely atrocious album IMO. The pop drivel thats been mentioned already is below worst. And I include Snow Patrol in that. I absolutely cannot stand them. Led Zep were superb though and I love 'Stairway...' although I can completely understand why some would find it a bit OTT.

Why are you disrespecting Marvin? "What's going on" is hardly his best, but neither is it "atrocious". There are a couple of good songs in there, notably "Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)".

Please...

My worst would be just about any pseudo-retro mop haircut indie wannabie band that has appeared in the last five years. Derivative and totally boring. Coldplay and the Arctic Monkeys would be prime examples, but there are so many... too many to mention.

matthewpiano

Captain Destructo:
matthewpiano:'Whats Going On' by Marvin Gaye. Its an absolutely atrocious album IMO. The pop drivel thats been mentioned already is below worst. And I include Snow Patrol in that. I absolutely cannot stand them. Led Zep were superb though and I love 'Stairway...' although I can completely understand why some would find it a bit OTT.

Why are you disrespecting Marvin? "What's going on" is hardly his best, but neither is it "atrocious". There are a couple of good songs in there, notably "Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)".

Please...

Because I don't like it!! I just think its bland and banal. I know lots of people will disagree with me but isn't that the beauty of all this?

My worst would be just about any pseudo-retro mop haircut indie wannabie band that has appeared in the last five years. Derivative and totally boring. Coldplay and the Arctic Monkeys would be prime examples, but there are so many... too many to mention.

I agree completely. I really don't know what people see inn the Arctic Monkeys or Coldplay.

I'd say the same thing about The Stone Roses, although it would be unfair to call them derivative.

A

Anonymous

Well I don't know much about the craft of song writing so I wouldn't be able to say what might be rubbish form an expert view but like most people I know what drives me nuts!

If I remotely hear a note of Summer Breeze by Isley Bros or Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye I run for the hills or at least turn the radio down. In fact I'm getting raised blood pressure just thinking about them LOL...

A

Anonymous

OK so slightly off topic - but just bought the new film 'Fighting' on Blu-Ray as it's top 10 release and trailer looked like it had good action and fight scenes .............. YAWN ......... if I had not bought it ... i.e. watching on telly or borrowed it ..... I would have switched off.

Truly poor characters and story and fight scenes ..... er - there hardly are any .......

AVOID people !

A

Anonymous

Re Manicm

Which bond theme did U2 do?

I think you might be thinking of Hug Me, Thrill Me... which was the Batman theme. I always thought this was a fairly good song which has a testing bass line.

Worst bond theme is simple. Anything post Goldeneye!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
One-hit wonder novelty records/bland pop are too easy a target.

I feel the worst songs are when an artist/group you know is capable of so much more throws out a complete stinker - and because they're a big act, it gets played to death everywhere.

So my top five crimes would be:

My ding-a-ling - Chuck Berry. Shamefully his only No1....

Old Shep - Elvis Presley. Even I can't bear it, along with much of his post-Priscilla schmaltz (eg Don't Cry Daddy. Shudder).

Paul McCartney - Frog Chorus. And also Mull of...

Rat in me kitchen - UB40. Dear God no...

David Bowie - the entire Tin Machine 'experiment'....

T

the record spot

Clare Newsome:

Rat in me kitchen [/i]- UB40. Dear God no...

I think we should rename this one "Rant in me kitchen" after that little lot Ms. N.

Feeling better now?!
emotion-2.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome: So my top five crimes would be:
Paul McCartney - Frog Chorus.

Nooooooo! What are you talking about woman? It's genius! Actually it's the only McCartney song I actually like, never understood why people rate him (and I just bought ALL the new Beatles remasters for the missus' birthday, that's how romantic I am, sacrificing myself like that!).

And it's nothing to do with having performed Frog Chorus at primary school...

... one thing's for certain, we'll never give in,
arm in arm, hand in hand, we ALL STAND TOGETHER!!!!

Could almost be a football chant...

matthewpiano

the_lhc:Clare Newsome: So my top five crimes would be:
Paul McCartney - Frog Chorus.

Nooooooo! What are you talking about woman? It's genius! Actually it's the only McCartney song I actually like, never understood why people rate him (and I just bought ALL the new Beatles remasters for the missus' birthday, that's how romantic I am, sacrificing myself like that!).

And it's nothing to do with having performed Frog Chorus at primary school...

... one thing's for certain, we'll never give in,
arm in arm, hand in hand, we ALL STAND TOGETHER!!!!

Could almost be a football chant...

Have to confess (and this is slightly embarrassing) that I love the Frog Chorus. I have the DVD of the animated film AND the CD single. I was only at infants school when it came out and I grew up being a huge fan of Rupert. I still am. To me its all about innocent fun and Rupert is a great character. The song captures the spirit of the Rupert stories really well and the complete film is a piece of art in itself. It might not be great music per se, but for what it is intended to be I actually think it is very well done.

Now, 'Mull...' on the other hand...

A

Anonymous

95% of music thats been in the pop music charts for the last 10 to 15 yrs. Its so bland.

Its incredibly rare these days to actually find a musician in a band that actually sounds like themselves.

Nearly all drummers in bands sound the same nowadays.

Look at Led zep, purple ,sabbath ,chuck berry ,floyd, to name a fraction , all those musicians individually had their own style and where great musicians .

Where has this standard disappeared to .

A

Anonymous

Muse had their own style before they started to steal others (referring to a couple of tracks on the new album there).

Origin of Symmetry is a very original album. Oh, sorry, you wanted the WORST album/song didn't you? I think there's a difference between the obvious candidates (things like Crazy Frog) and the debatable good/bad stuff this thread is aimed at kicking up debate about. So I'll say right now that Guns 'n' Roses are sh*t.

matthewpiano

With regard to Muse I agree with you that the earlier stuff (right up to 'Absolution') is excellent. The latest album does nothing for me though. It seems to be a pastiche of Muse with some quite crass and poorly executed thefts from classical repertoire (a Chopin Nocturne and 'Mon Coeur...' by Saint-Saens in particular). It all starts to sound a bit 'Hooked on Classics' mixed with Queen and Muse tribute bands in the end.

A

Anonymous

bobbyg81:Worst song could be 'Monster' by The Automatic. Whats with the keyboard player/screamer?

I am glad somebody else feels this way. This song and that keyboard 'playing' hanger-on make my blood boil.

I found a song called 'Birthday Sex' by some tool called 'Jeremih' recently - I only looked because the name was so farcical - so I listened, laughed, and then left a disparaging review, only to be abused by lots of American teenagers (I am just a "hater" apparently. If somebody could let me know what that means in English, I would be grateful). This has to be the worst song ever created, without a doubt.

I am so sick of these R&B 'artists' just singing about their 'boo' and their superficial relationships/attitudes, with thinly disguised euphamisms for their sexual exploits. Creativity hits rock bottom, again and again and again and again...

...Peace out, Playaz.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:With regard to Muse I agree with you that the earlier stuff (right up to 'Absolution') is excellent. The latest album does nothing for me though. It seems to be a pastiche of Muse with some quite crass and poorly executed thefts from classical repertoire (a Chopin Nocturne and 'Mon Coeur...' by Saint-Saens in particular).

This is interesting, I've only started listening to Muse since the new album came out, I like, although the 3-part Exogenesis was disappointing, I didn't think it went far enough, I'd liked to have seen it a bit longer and entirely orchestral, that would have been very interesting, not to mention brave.I'd like to hear them do something entirely orchestral, like a mock soundtrack album or something (or even a real one, which might not be such a stupid idea, I think one member of the band provided the music for the closing credits of a film recently, but I can't remember which one).

It all starts to sound a bit 'Hooked on Classics' mixed with Queen and Muse tribute bands in the end.

Bizarrely (all things considered) I think the word you're looking for is "commercial", although it feels very odd to be using the term in connection to a pseudo-operatic/orchestral, neo-Prog Rock, sci-fi influenced album. I like Muse, I just don't understand why they've become so popular, with the public especially at the same time that dross like N'Dubz seems to be getting more successful.

Must admit though, by the end of United States of Eurasia I was humming Bohemian Rhapsody...

A

Anonymous

Agree with all of the above comments on Muse. Also, am I th only one who thought that "Black Holes and Revelations" is very badly produced (mostly)? Some of it sounds like it was recorded in airship hangar.

matthewpiano

MilkyJoe:
Agree with all of the above comments on Muse. Also, am I th only one who thought that "Black Holes and Revelations" is very badly produced (mostly)? Some of it sounds like it was recorded in airship hangar.

No its not just you. The sound was so good on 'Absolution' but really slipped on 'Black Holes...' for some reason.

A

Anonymous

I agree - BH&R isn't well produced at all. It's such a shame because if it was, some songs would sound terrifyingly good on quality hi-fi.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Captain Destructo:

Please...

This post just shows that we all have such diverse tastes. I love the Arctic Monkeys and the new album is superb - their best to date - and the others have been great too. Matthew, I love the Roses. And I also love Badly Drawn Boy. I lent the Dewilderbeast album to my Dad recently (and he has a broad range of cds) and he absolutely hated it.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
PhilAllen:I agree - BH&R isn't well produced at all. It's such a shame because if it was, some songs would sound terrifyingly good on quality hi-fi.

agree about black holes and..... if you haven't already, give haarp a go. sounds superb to me.

don't know about "worst ever.." but if i had access to automatic weapons, duffy would be in big trouble!

if i was very lucky, meatloaf would try to "take the bullets" for her and i could get rid of another.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts