What do you think is the worst abum/song ever?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Rich O:

Re Manicm

Which bond theme did U2 do?

I think you might be thinking of Hug Me, Thrill Me... which was the Batman theme. I always thought this was a fairly good song which has a testing bass line.

Worst bond theme is simple. Anything post Goldeneye!

It's GoldenEye I'm talking about!! Tina Turner sang it - but Bono/The Edge wrote it.

A

Anonymous

Good one! I believe they had stuff thrown at them at one of the Leeds festivals.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Captain Destructo:

matthewpiano:'Whats Going On' by Marvin Gaye. Its an absolutely atrocious album IMO. The pop drivel thats been mentioned already is below worst. And I include Snow Patrol in that. I absolutely cannot stand them. Led Zep were superb though and I love 'Stairway...' although I can completely understand why some would find it a bit OTT.

Why are you disrespecting Marvin? "What's going on" is hardly his best, but neither is it "atrocious". There are a couple of good songs in there, notably "Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)".

Please...

My worst would be just about any pseudo-retro mop haircut indie wannabie band that has appeared in the last five years. Derivative and totally boring. Coldplay and the Arctic Monkeys would be prime examples, but there are so many... too many to mention.

This post just shows that we all have such diverse tastes. I love the Arctic Monkeys and the new album is superb - their best to date - and the others have been great too. Matthew, I love the Roses. And I also love Badly Drawn Boy. I lent the Dewilderbeast album to my Dad recently (and he has a broad range of cds) and he absolutely hated it.

The Stone Roses' first album was decent. I just think that so many teenagers/younger people theses days don't learn how to write songs or develop any kind of individual sound before getting into the music biz . "Fake indie" is like a pastiche of influences without any message, meaning or genuine emotion (my opinion). It doesn't offend and appeals to some market I guess. Nick Drake, Tim Buckley, some 70's Marvin Gaye, Isley Brothers, The Smiths, how can anything in the last 10 years really compare?

A

Anonymous

"Whoa Camouflage
Things are never quite the way they seem
Whoa Camoufalge
I was awfully glad to see this big marine"

So bad, it's bad.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
robjcooper:For something which is allegedly 'proper music', then an unequivocal yes (Bohemian Rhapsody and Freebird are both very close runners up).

Someone suffering from a serious inferiority complex.....?

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Captain Destructo:
matthewpiano:'Whats Going On' by Marvin Gaye. Its an absolutely atrocious album IMO. The pop drivel thats been mentioned already is below worst. And I include Snow Patrol in that. I absolutely cannot stand them. Led Zep were superb though and I love 'Stairway...' although I can completely understand why some would find it a bit OTT.

Why are you disrespecting Marvin? "What's going on" is hardly his best, but neither is it "atrocious". There are a couple of good songs in there, notably "Flyin' High (In The Friendly Sky)".

Please...

My worst would be just about any pseudo-retro mop haircut indie wannabie band that has appeared in the last five years. Derivative and totally boring. Coldplay and the Arctic Monkeys would be prime examples, but there are so many... too many to mention.

This post just shows that we all have such diverse tastes. I love the Arctic Monkeys and the new album is superb - their best to date - and the others have been great too. Matthew, I love the Roses. And I also love Badly Drawn Boy. I lent the Dewilderbeast album to my Dad recently (and he has a broad range of cds) and he absolutely hated it.

I love these three as well, if you like the new Arctic monkeys album I would check out Queens of the stoneage as it has lots of influences from Josh Homme (QOTSA lead singer) who produced the new album. Not realy sure how you could describe them as derivitive, apart from the fact that it is young people singing about their youth, I think they had and still have a very distinctive and origenal sound. Coldplay on the other hand........

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Peters--Lee-By-Your-Side-317127.jpg

A

Anonymous

I must have close to 1000 cd's ....and the worst one in my collection has to be (without a doubt):

album-Captain-Beefheart-Trout-Mask-Replica.jpg

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:

365886.jpg

I'd like to think that's this debate finished.

Simon, sounds like you are offended and now want to lock the thread? .... no probs if you enjoy Captain Beefheart ... don't take it to heart ... we are all entitled to our own opinions
emotion-2.gif

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
dim_span:Simon, sounds like you are offended and now want to lock the thread? .... no probs if you enjoy Captain Beefheart ... don't take it to heart ... we are all entitled to our own opinions
emotion-2.gif

Not at all. I agree about Trout Mask Replica - I like a lot of Beefheart but that album's fundamentally gibberish. No, I'd just like to assert that I'd Rather Jack by the immortal Reynolds Girls is, definitively, the worst song ever commited to tape.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
amarocknrollstar:robjcooper:
For something which is allegedly 'proper music', then an unequivocal yes (Bohemian Rhapsody and Freebird are both very close runners up).

Someone suffering from a serious inferiority complex.....?

Not sure quite what point you're attempting to make. Just because the three pieces of music I mentioned leave me cold, makes me inferior to you ? I'm not a musician so I'm not feeling inferior in my non existent musical skills to those of the musicians in the bands concerned either. Perhaps you felt the phrase 'proper music' was inappropriate - I used the phrase to differentiate my choices from the 'comedy records' (for example 'Funky Moped' - sorry Jasper) which were never intended to be anything greater than throw away and are probably the worst examples of music ever made but as such would have been easy and quite boring examples. When most of us were first on this thread a couple of months ago there was some really good humoured banter and some excellent debate - as well as bringing back memories of some of the dirge the world of music has inflicted upon its consumers. So i'm not sure what your rather barbed and unnecessary one liner is about. Just because, I assume, you don't share my musical tastes why should that make me feel inferior?

Perhaps you'd like to explain?

And back to the thread, anything with AutoTune on it..Cher, you have a lot to answer for girlfriend !

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
I think its very easy to take the superior high ground on this subject. "Oh coldplay are rubbish, oh those snow patrol lot, what a bunch of idiots, and lady gaga. pah.". The OP asked what the worst song/album was ever. Anything by Coldplay, Snow Patrol or Lady Gaga is NOT the worst of its time, or ever. Theyre well produced, by talented people (I've seen the footage of Lady Gaga singing live, and she can sing), and are all pretty tuneful. Yes I wouldnt necessarily buy/chose to listen to their output, but its not the worst ever. Lets face it, some of the stuff that John Peel used to play could be classed as rubbish in my opinion. Just awful noise. But because John Peel was playing it, it was ok.

If its my choice - I'd go for Des'ree - Life. Thats pure tripe. Mark And Lard voted it worst ever, and I agree with em. For the "I'm afraid of a ghost, its a sight I fear most, rather have a piece of toast" line.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
robjcooper:

And back to the thread, anything with AutoTune on it..Cher, you have a lot to answer for girlfriend !

Actually youre right, that "Do you believe in life after love" is the worst record ever. Case closed.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Now Sir Paul Mcartney is a legend - right? I definitely think so.

Why was his album "Memory almost full" total rubbish to such an extent that it was given away free by the dail mail a couple of years later!!

Surely a quality artist should be producing an album with decent music on it. If anyone knows what constitutes good music Macca should!

Tonky

A

Anonymous

Worst song i think is called Oh Superman, hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu, sounded like an old girlfriend, can,t remember who sung it SUNG???

A

Anonymous

johnnyjazz:Worst song i think is called Oh Superman, hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu, sounded like an old girlfriend, can,t remember who sung it SUNG???

Laurie Anderson

A

Anonymous

Worst song i think is called Oh Superman, hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu hu, sounded like an old girlfriend, can,t remember who sung it SUNG???

Laurie Anderson

No that wasn,t the old girlfriends name

TRENDING THREADS