What do you think Al Ears?

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Dear Mr Ears I've been a member of this forum for about a year now and it appears that you are an expert on turntables amongst other things. I would greatly value your opinion on which turntable is the best.

Clearview Audio MM

Marantz TT15S1

Rega RP6 Exact

Project 2Xperience SB DC

The Marantz is the most expensive but its cheaper to buy it from the EU. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

AntAxon said:
Dear Mr Ears I've been a member of this forum for about a year now and it appears that you are an expert on turntables amongst other things. I would greatly value your opinion on which turntable is the best.

Clearview Audio MM

Marantz TT15S1

Rega RP6 Exact

Project 2Xperience SB DC

The Marantz is the most expensive but its cheaper to buy it from the EU. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well thank you. Can I just say I've never heard of your first on the list and cannot find it on Google. You don't mean Clearaudio Concept do you?

Moving onwards what makes a good turntable is obviously something that is solid and well engineered and can maintain fixed RPM at selected speed with minimum wow and flutter measurements.This must be complimented with a good tonearm and, most importantly, cartridge.

The majority of the 'plug and play' packages on the market currently are fitted with very basic cartridges, some a bit better than others. If you are serious about your vinyl, and looking at the rest of your kit you probably are, then my advice would be to buy a turntable without the standard cheapo cartridge and get dealer to fit something a bit more upmarket and more in line with what the tonearm can carry off. Another factor is getting a deck where you could, at some point if you wished, upgrade the tonearm.

I have no experience with the Marantz on your list but I know at least one forumee that rates his highly.

The Project and Regards are old stagers and both have their merits.

Overall, and bearing in mind I haven't seen let alone heard the Marantz, if I had to by one then it would be the Project 2xperience as I believe that the tonearm / cartridge combo it comes pre-fitted with makes this the best of the bunch.

If you are looking to buy without cartridge and fitting your own then perhaps the Rega would just push into first place.

If you can audition them all but particularly the Marantz as it is, to me, an unknown entity but being as it is basically a Clearaudio turntable with a Marantz badge, it should be pretty good indeed.

Above all that, it's all going to looks, I'd suggest buying one that looks like it's going to last. I was going to say can take some abuse but that didn't sound right :)

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
You are correct I did mean Clearaudio Concept, sorry. Well thats given me something to think about. I can get the Project 2 Experience SB for £761 ex display. But the reviews were not great so that is why I'm hesitant. I really want to get the best I can afford so perhaps the Rega with a good cartridge is the best option. I really like Marantz but I don't think there is anywhere local where I could hear one. And to be honest I would probably buy it on the net cheaper and would feel guilty for wasting the dealers time.

Any suggestions for cartridges?

Bloody span filter keeps blocking my reply

Maybe the mods can look into that spam filter.

Don't know which reviews you refer to but the Project was highly rated and five stars by HiFi Choice and I think it's very good. They particularly liked the arm / cartridge combination which I was eluding to and £300 off is a great price.

Have a look on previous posts regarding cartridge choice. It would depend on budget.

The Marantz is basically the Clearaudio Concept in different clothes.

If you're set on an RP6 then AudioT currently have one for £845 with Exact cartridge, not a bad deal, not a bad deal as they are normally £898 without.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I did see that review but I was put off by the screw clamp everytime you put a record on. Also I was not sure about the Ortofon 2M Silver cartridge. Maybe I should buy it and get a Ortofon Bronze at a later date.

I thought the Marantz would be a higher specification than the Clearaudio Concept as its was about £500 more in price.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I had a look at the Rega and it says its secondhand. I'd rather buy a new Project I think. Thanks for taking the time to give me the benefit of your experience, its been very useful.

Regards,

Ant

AntAxon said:
I did see that review but I was put off by the screw clamp everytime you put a record on. Also I was not sure about the Ortofon 2M Silver cartridge. Maybe I should buy it and get a Ortofon Bronze at a later date.

I thought the Marantz would be a higher specification than the Clearaudio Concept as its was about £500 more in price.

The clamp you get used to, mine has one as an integral part. Some people buy weights but the clamp does not take much longer to fit.

Perhaps the marantz should be higher spec for that price but it looks to be pretty much identical.

The bronze and black are good for the money but their are others non Ortofon you could consider.

AntAxon said:
I had a look at the Rega and it says its secondhand. I'd rather buy a new Project I think. Thanks for taking the time to give me the benefit of your experience, its been very useful.

Regards,

Ant

Aha, I thought it might be ex demo.

Still not a bad deal it would give you the cash for a different cartridge.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Project,

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I don't really know much about cartridges. My son bought a Grado Reference Platinum for his Rega RP3 and he is really pleased with it but he has to turn the volume up high on his amp to get a reasonable volume. So I don't want to make a costly mistake.

AntAxon said:
I don't really know much about cartridges. My son bought a Grado Reference Platinum for his Rega RP3 and he is really pleased with it but he has to turn the volume up high on his amp to get a reasonable volume. So I don't want to make a costly mistake.

No, and I pretty easy to do as you cannot usually audition cartridges.

Not to sure why your brothers having problems as the output voltage on that Grado is about the norm. Depends on the amps phono stage I guess.

A dealer can advise you on cartridges.

Or you can rely on us here on the form :)

However if you're not sure about setting one cup it is better to find a decent dealer.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much for your advice, I have just phoned the dealer and bought the Project turntable. It did seem like a bargain and I will upgrade the cartridge at a later date.

Have a great Christmas.

AntAxon said:
Thank you so much for your advice, I have just phoned the dealer and bought the Project turntable. It did seem like a bargain and I will upgrade the cartridge at a later date.

Have a great Christmas.

Have a great Christmas listening to that vinyl.

Hope it's that lovely Olive wood version. :)

Whatever, enjoy it and come back here when you fancy a cartridge upgrade.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
... but this might be a bargain for someone else in a similar position.

https://www.divineaudio.co.uk/analogueworks-turntable-zero-walnut-rega-rb202-prototype

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts