What do you read into WHFSAV star review system?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
SemiChronic said:
Forgot to add, Sonica was tested with a Hegel360, which might be of particular interest to you (Thats if you havent already sold your soul to actives)

I love actives for certain reasons
But I sold the Hegel. I'll never use an all in one again.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
newlash09 said:
Buy blind like me. And almost 90% of my kit has been bought based on 5 star reviews here. And I haven't been disappointed with any of them. Since I haven't done comparative listening like the most of you. I continue to be happy with my stuff. Ignorance can be bliss. But Iam still thankfull for the present review system, that has never let me down. And continues to help millions around the world like me .

From my perception of their star system, 5 star product is one which might not blow away everyone, but will not disappoint anyone . Basically is an all rounder.

4 star can suit some better than a 5 star product. But not for everyone. Some might be disappointed, unlike the 5 star product that will offend none.

So I always go for 5 stars. And never been disappointed. Cheers :)
Here's my brief thoughts on some 5 star products I've auditioned:

B&W PM1's. Far too much bass distortion at generous volumes. My rating 1.5 stars - due to £2000 price.

KEF LS50's. Good all round compromise. Bass disappears at lower volumes. Many owners would be happy with them. Not for me due to me prefering other speakers that cost less. 3.5 to 4 stars.

AVI DM10's (auditioned with sub) Not even remotely close to being as good as the manufacturer claimed they are. Many owners would be happy with them. Too boring to listen to for me. 3.5 to 4 stars.

ATC SCM11. Not as good as AVI DM10's with sub. 3 to 3.5 stars.

Linn Majik LP12. Woolly bass. Lacking in clarity and authority. Nice dynamics. 2 stars due to price.

Linn Klimax LP12. Good all-rounder. Still some wooliness in the bass. This level of performance can be had for £5000 or less. 2.5 stars due to £18k price.

If I had bought any of those items for their retail price I'd have been disappointed.

Star ratings are a funny thing.

For example I would give EV Sentry III's a rating of 0.5 to 4.5 stars. 0.5 because of the looks, size, age. 4.5 because they have good midrange and treble and average median bass and they are not amplifier fussy. Also a large variation in the star rating due to large variations in price.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
But... we do say new products aren't as good as old ones. All the time. That's essentially what every review under 5 stars is saying (and some 5 star reviews). And why we have repeat Award-winners.

D

Deleted member 2457

Joe Cox said:
But... we do say new products aren't as good as old ones. All the time. That's essentially what every review under 5 stars is saying (and some 5 star reviews). And why we have repeat Award-winners.
For example the Pioneer SC-lx701 wasn't as good as the Pioneer sc-lx59 and why it won't win an award this year, where previously it had won something like 8 in a row.

gel said:
Joe Cox said:
For example the Pioneer SC-lx701 wasn't as good as the Pioneer sc-lx59 and why it won't win an award this year, where previously it had won something like 8 in a row.

I am beginning to regret posting this thread...... ;-)

D

Deleted member 2457

Al ears said:
gel said:
Joe Cox said:

I am beginning to regret posting this thread...... ;-)
regular_smile.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts