What did you purchase on Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
If you are a serial cable believer then you'll lap this up, but as with all cables it still proves nothing. Graphene is the new buzz word and has now trickled down to hifi cables as the new next big thing. All graphene is not created equal, the most pure can cost hundreds of thousands per tonne, bet they don't use this in cables.
It can be used in cables, it is melted down with the silver and plated on the copper base but it cannot be made into strands like you can with copper.
Yes graphene is very very expensive.
It isn't just cables, I'm open to anything new, if you don't explore you never learn.

WayneKerr

It can be used in cables, it is melted down with the silver and plated on the copper base but it cannot be made into strands like you can with copper.
Yes graphene is very very expensive.
It isn't just cables, I'm open to anything new, if you don't explore you never learn.
You're a good guy Jason and I find your exploits very interesting (y)Shame we are at opposite ends of the spectrum, you will try anything new whilst I only trust tried and tested before I part with my cash :)

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
You're a good guy Jason and I find your exploits very interesting (y)Shame we are at opposite ends of the spectrum, you will try anything new whilst I only trust tried and tested before I part with my cash :)
Eh Amigo nothing wrong with being different!
You'll be surprised in certain things, I'm much more prudent with money.
For instance, if I'm going on holiday abroad, I will check the reviews on Trip Advisor, I'll check the cheapest flights, the shortest distance to the airport. Check the accommodation. So when I'm parting with my cash there are no nasty surprises.
When it comes to Hifi, meh, it's kind of like my playground.
Still I should take a leaf out of your book.
There's nothing wrong being careful or not being wasteful with money. 💰😊

Reactions: WayneKerr

jjbomber

If you spend money on something and it increases your listening pleasure, that should be all that matters. You don't need to do a test while blindfold, standing on one leg, facing the north pole. If you're happy with your new cable or whatever, it's money well spent.

Friesiansam

It can be used in cables, it is melted down with the silver and plated on the copper base but it cannot be made into strands like you can with copper
Graphene is specifically the one form, or allotrope, of carbon, the one atom thick sheet of carbon in an hexagonal lattice. You actually can’t melt carbon, it sublimes like carbon dioxide, at 3642C, higher than the boiling point of copper!

Reactions: WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Graphene is specifically the one form, or allotrope, of carbon, the one atom thick sheet of carbon in an hexagonal lattice. You actually can’t melt carbon, it sublimes like carbon dioxide, at 3642C, higher than the boiling point of copper!
I don't have a science background and not really best placed to disagree with what you say but they are claiming to have speaker wiring containing this carbon property.
Yes you can disclaim those of Chinese vendors, put it down to lost in translation.
I am a little confused however, why a reputable manufacturer like Cerious are also claiming to have graphene speaker wires?
I am intrigued as well as very confused in light of what you said.
What component is it that they're putting into their cables. Can you synthesise the by-product of graphene or replicate it and still call it graphene?
Anyway, I hope when it arrives in two weeks time, it will not be sonically challenged and the small investment wasn't a waste of money.

Friesiansam

If you spend money on something and it increases your listening pleasure, that should be all that matters. You don't need to do a test while blindfold, standing on one leg, facing the north pole. If you're happy with your new cable or whatever, it's money well spent.
That's fair enough but, advertising still needs to be honest. They are beyond the jurisdiction of the ASA though, so can say what they like to hook buyers in this country.

daveh75

So long as you keep it to yourself, and don't come on forums misleading others spouting subjective toss as though it were fact!

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
That's fair enough but, advertising still needs to be honest. They are beyond the jurisdiction of the ASA though, so can say what they like to hook buyers in this country.
Absolutely valid in what you said, notwithstanding, this isn't unique to Chinese vendors. Amazon and Facebook appear to be promoting it. Even Head-Fi are at it, so what's going on?

When I opened this thread I was alluding to What did you purchase on Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sales? And at the back of my mind, despite the opening title, the mere mention of cables will get everyone fixtated but heyho it's always entertaining and I'm glad on this occasion we have shown ample amount of respect for other people views. There is hope...:)

1701282870835.png

1701283765292.png
check the links below

Last edited:

WayneKerr

Really impressed with some of the things you find Jason so keep it up mate (y)
As for this creating a fuss on the internet it's all cable talk and there'll always be opposing opinions due to the lack of empirical measurements. I'm certain it's just the cable guys jumping on a new buzz word to sell their overpriced products. My 2p's worth.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Many moons ago. I toyed with the idea of the Cambridge CXN or Arcam ST60 streamers.

In the end, I settled for a WIIM Pro.....

I was tempted with they dropped to £600 and £800 repectivley

Now the ST60 have dropped to £650

Bam.... I bought one :)

stupot43

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't usually bother with Black Friday purchases as its just another way to get you to but something that you don't really need, but you think you are getting a bargain. However, this year I've succumbed. When I saw that Kef had knocked off £200 from a pair of LSX II Wireless speakers and that Peter Tyson was also offering a 5 year warranty, half price Kef wall brackets and Interest free payment over 3 years, that was it, I bought a pair. This will now allow me to play my music in the back room, where I spend most of my time, but using my Hi-fi components that are in my main room ie turntable, cd player etc. To my disgust, i have just found out that PT have knocked off another £100 off and still offering the same other benefits.

Reactions: Gray and nopiano
Well there's Best, which is always going to be debatable, and Best for the Money which is less so.
Is a £1k CD player going to be so noticeable in its improvement. I would guess not.
If WHF titled it “best CD player for the money”, it’d be fine, and they don’t even have different price point awards any more, it’s just “best CD player”. And we all know that no sub £1000 CD player is going to stand up to a well designed higher end one, whether that’s £50k or £5k.

Reactions: Al ears
If WHF titled it “best CD player for the money”, it’d be fine, and they don’t even have different price point awards any more, it’s just “best CD player”. And we all know that no sub £1000 CD player is going to stand up to a well designed higher end one, whether that’s £50k or £5k.
And we all are well aware that 'Best cd player ' depends entirely on the budget that people looking for one have so the whole clarification is useless.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts