What CD player should i go for max 500 quid

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Cambridge Audio AZUR 740C Black (Upsampling CD player) or the Marantz 7003 sacd Player

Hi all

Out of the two players what would be the better one to go for and why?

Cambridge Audio AZUR 740C Black (Upsampling CD player) Does upsampling realy make that musch of a noticable difference anyway?

Marantz 7003 sacd Player

To much choice its confusing me lol

T

the record spot

I'd try and listen to both; a lot of people rate the Cambridge around here, and I have the Marantz SA7001 KI Signature CD player which I really enjoy. Never heard the CA, but if the 7003 matches or improves on the detail, speed and resolution of the 7001, you won;t be disappointed.

I have found the Marantz needs careful matching though; forget lean sounding amps or speakers as it'll leave you wondering what the fuss is all about. It does do bass, but not if you're a metalhead or a party animal. Mine is partnered with Audioquest Copperhead cable (£60 or so) and it is a good mix.

If the new 7003 adds a bit more muscle to the bass, you could be on to a winner. Obvious other big benefit is the ability to play stereo SACD (well, it was to me as I have a few now) and moreso if you're a classical music fan given the availability on hi-res. CD performance of the 7001 is top notch. Amazing midrange and treble, so look for that to continue in the new line.

Although different, I auditioned an Audio Analogue Paganini CD player over the summer, which upsampled, and I was very impressed by that player. One little caveat to all that is the Paganini comes in at around £1000 or did, so you have twice the price over the 740C. Superb used buy though (should be around £350-£425 depending on condition and age for a more recent and mint model).

T

the record spot

Add into that mix (if you want to expand the horizons a bit) Rotel's RCD1072 (I think it is) and Audiolab's 8000CD. Depends on the sound you want, but they should be available around the £500 mark.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Matey :)

I like classical to pop in general so varied taste! But nice to hear quality sounding classical

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If I was you I'd just get a DacMagic and use it with your old cdp or dvdp. There's not much difference between it and the best players at your budget plus you get additional versatility.

regards

T

the record spot

Would having two posts make the decision twice as easy?!?!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

yes as i cant make up my mind now i like the rega apollo lol

matthewpiano

randydevilad:yes as i cant make up my mind now i like the rega apollo lol

Only way is to audition. Personally, I think the Apollo is in a different league to the 740C. I have owned both and auditioned the Apollo again extensively when I recently upgraded my system. Its a very very good player and more musical than the Cambridge. When I had one, coupled with a Nait 3 amplifier, I regretted selling it for ages. The Denon DCD1500AE is the first player I've been really satisfied with since.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts