What Cans Do You Use/Reccomend/Think Are the Best You have Ever Owned?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
On my home audio I have Grado SR-80's running through a Creek OBH-11 amp (bought after advice from this forum).

They are a lovely headphone with a quality sound but probably lack that real bite and drive of a more expensive headphone. I'm currently looking to upgrade to maybe the AKG 701/702, Audio Technica ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO or SHURE SRH840

iPod is Sennheiser CX200 a great entry level performer that blows the Apple supplied phones into the water.

I'm just waiting for a pair of SoundMAGIC PL30 Sound Isolating Earphones to be delivered (should be at home when I arrive). So am looking forward to giving them a go soon.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
have owned a few pairs here and there some better than others but now i only have my sennheiser hd650s although may have to invest in another pair of closed backs cans so any recommendations appreciated as think my gf is going to very quickly get annoyed with the hd650s for bedroom listening!

I have two headphone amps and another on the way - project headbox 2, littledot mk3 and just ordered the firestone fubar IV which will be used with my onkyo nds1 and my ipod

I've owned about 4 pairs and only the Grado SR60i I've paid for. One pair was a complementary pair by WHFI S&V for subscribing. This transaction was done three years ago (or the last show at Novetel, Hammersmith), and the others have been Birthday prezzies.

The problem is with me I only use them about 6-7 times a year, hence why headphone experience is well below par.

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic 770 pro ... hardly use it but is worth the money I paid IMHO ...

not sure how it ranks with the really good ones

idc

Carlosfandangosuperwidewheels:

On my home audio I have Grado SR-80's running through a Creek OBH-11 amp (bought after advice from this forum).

They are a lovely headphone with a quality sound but probably lack that real bite and drive of a more expensive headphone.

I really don't think that that will be the case. Grado are the brand usually most associated with rock and having an attacking dynamic. They are certainly the most dynamic cans I have/heard. Just because you go more expensive does not mean more bite and drive. That is down to the brand and the can itself.

iPod is Sennheiser CX200 a great entry level performer that blows the Apple supplied phones into the water.

Apple buds are renouned for their poor quality. I first got mx500s, which opened up the sound no end, but I prefer on or over ear and the PX200s are great.

I'm just waiting for a pair of SoundMAGIC PL30 Sound Isolating Earphones to be delivered (should be at home when I arrive). So am looking forward to giving them a go soon.

Looking forward to a review!

A

Anonymous

I only have the Grado SR60's.

They are:

Very direct sounding, in your face, unlike sennheisers where sound seems to be projected at you from the front

Bright sounding on certain songs

Dynamic/Musical/Engaging

Punchy (I don't classify this as bass)

Bass could be better but it's there

They sound great for rock/metal/hip hop but sound awful for full blown orchestra music

Bass, midrange, and high frequency are balanced out nicely with none being priortized more than the other

Sound much more transparant then cheap £20 headphones and do well in uncovering micro-detail

I also don't find them very comfortable at all

Not very forgiving on poor recordings

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have sennheiser hd 595s . About 120£ from richer sounds. They are very smooth ,clear and spacious in terms of sound quality.

Compare them and the grados at richer sounds and then choose.

tonky

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
My headphone experience is very limited. Had a couple of pairs of Technics headphones (Circa £30/£40) for a few years until The Wife bought me my current Grado SR125s a few Christmasses ago.

Much better in all regards (as you'd hope for the price difference.) Can't fault them in the sound department. Only issues are; the foam earpads can be a bit scratchy for prolonged use, and they leak sound. It can be a bit of a battle between myself and The Wife if I'm using them while she's watching something dull on TV. I hear her, she hears me, so we both keep nudging the volume higher (and she's got volume and sheer number of speakers in her arsenal!)
emotion-1.gif

Cable could be longer too, but a Grado extension cable for around £30 solved that particular problem.

A

Anonymous

I have the AKG K701s, and they're fantastic for classical, jazz and acoustic music. S/h from £180ish when I looked (about 4-6 months ago). I heartily recommend them!

Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

idc

Looking forward to a review!

--------------

Sure enough they arrive yesterday.

I'm at my desk now listening to then via my Nano 8gb and Fiio E5. DO in ear phones like these have burn in times do you know?

A

Anonymous

Hedgehog:
I have the AKG K701s, and they're fantastic for classical, jazz and acoustic music. S/h from £180ish when I looked (about 4-6 months ago). I heartily recommend them!

Hedgehog

New from £200 now - I'm considering getting a pair.

A

Anonymous

Denon AH-D2000's. Though I'm not into Headfi and just them for my laptop now and then. An extremely comfortable fit with super aq mind.

A

Anonymous

£200 for the AKG K701s is amazing! But, of course, only if you like them...Hedgehog

A

Anonymous

tonky:
I have sennheiser hd 595s . About 120£ from richer sounds. They are very smooth ,clear and spacious in terms of sound quality.
Compare them and the grados at richer sounds and then choose.

tonky

I've had these and Grado 125s. I disliked the Grado sound and loved the Sennheiser to be honest. They were through a Pro-Ject Headbox but I really prefer speaker sound.

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
I have an original pair of Beyer Dynamic 990's which I've owned for probably 20 years now, and also a pair of Stax SR-404 Signatures with the valve SRM-006T energiser. The Beyer's I still love as conventional 'phones - they still work perfectly, and other than a new set of fabric ear cushions, they're still working perfectly despite much abuse over the years. The Stax set-up I love because they give a totally different insight into the music to that when played on my hi-fi-using-speakers or the Beyer's. If I had the money, and having tried all of Staxs' headphones and energisers in all combinations, I'd buy a pair of Stax Omega SR-007 'phones, although I'd still keep the 006 energiser as I prefer its' sound to that of any of their other energisers. But the Omega SR-007 headphones are serious money...

A

Anonymous

Sennheiser HD650...expensive but worth the bucks! Very, very comfortable and great sound.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Another Sennheiser HD595 owner here - bought new for under £100 a few years ago. Sound great and very comfortable.

Used them a lot when my son was younger but am now able to use my main speakers a lot more. Recommended at the price point but secretly i have always wanted some HD650's, although probably not worth the outlay for my current usage.

A

Anonymous

Just managed to pick up a pair of AKG K701 for a steal... awaiting their arrive as we speak :eek:))

A

Anonymous

£140 (second hand of course, but a with low use) from a dedicated headphone forum for sale section.

A

Anonymous

I'm just burning is a pair of Shure SRH840 and frankly I am really warming up to them. They seemed to lack punch when new, but with around 50 hours on them now they are really starting to show their stuff. I'm using the Bryston's DAC and a Headbox SE headphone amp.

A

Anonymous

I'd recommend the AKG K701, thet're absolutely great for their price... Don't get turned away by those who say that these cans need at least 300+ hours to sound good..

Tight and powerful bass, wide soundstage and clear, perfect midrange. They also look good (and expensive), even if the white paint and the shape is a bit uncommon..

Another pretty nice choice can be Denon D7000 or D5000...

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Nothing of the quality expensive stuff you guys use here,
I use Sennheiser PX-100s on the Ipod for walking to work (Nice quiet Streets) Sennheiser CX-300s for the Ipod on the beach and I have a pair of Beyer DT-431s that I occasionally use with the Ipod in the garden. As neither my CDP or Amps have headphone sockets they get no use in the house anymore. A shame really as the sound of the new TT through them should be pretty good I would imagine

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Grado SR80s and RS1s. The RS1s are definately better than the SR80s but £500 better? Maybe not. Still, if you can get them 2nd hand....

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I use headphones for several hours a day, at work I depend on Beyer Dynamic DT150s and at home I prefer a modest pair of AKG K141-II cans.

To me, they both represent a balance between sound quality and comfort.
As for a recommendation, I heartily recommend you audition as many as you possibly can with a familiar piece of music and listen to what your ears tell you
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS