What Cans Do You Use/Reccomend/Think Are the Best You have Ever Owned?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

My kit is nowhere near as high end as many headger nuts, a pair of now quite old Sennheiser HD 250 Linnear II's through a Graham Slee Solo with PSU1. But I guess unless I either get fed up with the sound I have(which i'm not)or just plain wonder what other gear sounds like enough to be bothered to demo stuff either at a dealer (although I think you need to live with them a while to really see...the headphones that is not the dealer), I guess i'll never know.

A

Anonymous

Got Sennheiser HD-650s which I snatched used off eBay for 150 quid. They were in really good nick at the time, now they've been loved a lot more. I use them almost every day with a Little Dot Mk III tube amp.

Best I've ever heard were the Senn HD-800s at Bristol. But they're too expensive to be worth it for me. I never rated any Grados, from my friend's SR-60s to the GS1000s at Bristol. But I know many people disagree, it's just a matter of taste.

I've never heard any AKGs, I've considered buying them at various points in the past however.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Just got into headphones ie using dedicated amp rather than the headphone jack on the CDP. But of course been going through various type of earphones. Just purchased a BOSE over the ear headphones. So far very pleased with the sound and also it does not leak sound. I did compare it with an AKG but still prefered BOSE. May demo a Grado 325i soon.

A

Anonymous

AKG 701/702 & Heed CanAmp (Heed Audio) are a very good combination

if you prefer smooth, warm but detailed sound you should try the Sen HD650 with Graham Slee Solo MC SRG

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi carlos fan i'm curious about your name, i googled dango & came up with dango recipe, is that what dango means some sort of food.

Thanx.

A

Anonymous

slewis:Hi carlos fan i'm curious about your name, i googled dango & came up with dango recipe, is that what dango means some sort of food.

Thanx.

Wasn't it the advert where his wheels came off from years ago?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
A fandango is a spanish dance...

But I found this quote....

"The term 'Carlos Fandango' can now be used to describe anything that looks impressive but is otherwise impractical or dysfunctional."

I guess this is a reference to the super wide wheels.

A

Anonymous

Started out with Sennheiser HD480's, got Stax SR34 but they scratched my ears, upgraded to Stax SR80's, good sound no more comfortable than the SR34.

Currently have Ultimate Ears Superfi 3 and Denon AH-C751 for MP3 / portable. Denon AH-D5000 and Sennheiser HD-595 for home audio.

All good headphones, different sounds characteristics makes switching between them pleasurable.

AH-D5000's probably the best. A girlfriend of mine had some Sony's with her iPhone, MDR-90EX LP, they were good quality and an excellent upgrade over the standard 'phones.

A

Anonymous

Currently listening to my alessandro ms1i's and am feeling that they are a bargain as they cost me about £71 delivered direct from alessandro make the grado sr60's seem rather expensive in comparison.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I have used more then dozen IEM and OTH, now settled with Grado SR-80 on PC and Shure SE530 with iphone both great headphone with great details and dynamics.

I bought SR80 when WHF were only recommending or rather giving awards to SR60, when you could buy for 20 bucks extra more bass and dynamics in SR80, after 3 years they've realised it.

I also ordered klipsch x10 based on awards given to them over SE530 and returned it same days, didn't like the overblown bass and quality of vocals, Shure SE530 are much better in both areas, excellent vocals, sweet treble bass is punchy and tight they are my favorites.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi everyone

I am a huge headphone freak and have tried about 10 known headphones

They are as follows.

Sennheiser HD800 and IE8, Grado gs1000i, Alessandro MS2i and MSPRO, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro & 880, Ultrasone Pro900. Denon D5000.

Out of all of them I would recommend the Alessandro MS2i as best bang for your buck. They are available from USA at the current exchange rate and you dont pay duty tax also inc free shipping.. They are listed at 299 dollars which is about 190 pounds. They are as good as the RS2i IMHO. Great for rock music and acoustics.

The best overall would be the HD800 or Ultrasones Pro 900

Due to finances I have had to sell my HD800s and rebuy some MS2i and to be honest I am happy.

Whathifi need to review some Alessandros :)

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
rich51080:
Whathifi need to review some Alessandros :)

Forget it, WHF will come up with an argument that they only review product which are appeal to mass market and have greater distribution and access to consumer, yet they will audition EB acoustic and give them product of year awards also
emotion-2.gif

No disrespect to EB but it beats logic on how they can pick up an unknown companies like EB and Epoz and give them awards
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

Definetly agree that WHF need to review the Alessandros as they are definetly better than the Grados for the money in the UK anyway where we pay over the odds for the Grados.

The main differences I found between the SR60s and the ms1s was that the treble wasn't as bright so they sounded slightly more balanced.

A

Anonymous

Sennheiser HD650 with Beresford Caiman DAC. Best £500 I have spent in a while!

They are certainly not the most exciting, however... they are great for long listening!

RobGardner

Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
Going off on a bit of a tangent from the main flow of this thread in that most of my headphone listening is done using my iPod, I currently use Shure ECL4 in ear phones after using many different brands of ear buds. I find that most ear buds don't last very long as they are not at all robust. The Shures have a very detailed and dynamic sound as you would expect for the money (about £145 end of line clear out at Paul Roberts Hifi in Bristol) They do lack a bit in the absolutley bottom bass (compared to floor standing speakers), but I presume that's just the physical limitations of the drivers. The sound is also mostly contained in your head and is a very different sonic experience to listening to speakers.Using the foam buds keeps out most of the ambient noise, and allows a much lower volume setting on my iPod when I am flying compared to my noise cancelling Sennheiser CX300s. It also means that when I am walking or cycling and using the phones that the ambient wind noise doesn't drown out the sound but you can still hear vehicles approaching from behind.I also think that the absolute sound quality is much better on the Shures then the Sennheisers but I have never listened to them side by side.

I recently purchased a pair of Klipsch Image headphones (end of line clear-out, now renamed Klipsch Image x10) at HMV in Truro for £99 but I haven't used them yet as I am keeping them for spares should I damage my Shures. The store had some heavy discounts on high end Klipsch phones.

A

Anonymous

Etymotic ER4S - using them via a line out dock cable and heaphone amp with iPod Classic. Perfect in-ear phones.

A

Anonymous

ohhhhhh.....

Have recently received AKG K701's and Phonak Audeo PFE 112's for iPod.

Both are absolute class :p)

TRENDING THREADS