What cables is your hi-fi system rocking?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
At some point I'm going to make some custom cables for the DM5 rear surround speakers. They use standard RCA connections but one of the cables needs to be about 15 meters long to reach the position I want it in. This setup is less than ideal with regular single screened RCA cable as the signal passing through it is low level and as it needs to be almost 15 meters long that's a very long distance for an unbalanced low level signal to travel without picking up a bit of hum along the way.

I've been advised that double screened mic cable will be the best for this purpose. I'm not in any rush though as the rear speakers are only occasionally used for adding surround sound when playing computer games.

matthewpiano

I'm using Atlas Equator II interconnect and matching Atlas speaker cables. As far as I'm concerned they are just well made OFC cables, and it would sound just as good with some similar spec Van Damme etc.

paulselwood

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Got some new cables for xmas. So I have to wait for xmas morning. My new toys, are, Atlas Equator MKIII Audio Interconnect and QED Reference XT40 Speaker Cable. Three sleeps to go.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I have some Atlas Element Integra cables hooked into my CD player, turntable and streamer and some and some Wireworld Luna 7 cable for the speakers. So not high end but they suit my system just fine. So what cables are you rocking?

I'm using some east european cables that some famous hifi cables "manufacturers" are using for making their own cables (after they made the price 60x higher). Although have some Nagra prototypes cables, one interconnect pair lent from Claude Nobs that initially was in a recording studio in Montreux, and a pair of Studer studios cables.

Souding cables is a myth. Only bad cables or flawed gear can sound when connected to the "wrong" cable.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
My speaker cable looks the same as Fubar's. 5 metres for 10 quid from Amazon. The connect between the UQ2 and amp is some digital thing. Ethernet, cheap and cheerful.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable.

Audioquest Colombia interconnects from pre to power.

I've yet to investigate the cable from my Zen Mini to the pre/processor. Used a £40 QED USB one for a bit, then swapped to a bog standard one for the moment. I'll try something around the £100ish price point maybe next month.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Chord Crimson & unidentified speaker cable but it's white with shiny copper strands inside.

Chord HDMI Super Shield but I'm thinking of changing this to Chord HDMI Advance, only because its more flexible.

...and a couple of Tacima Surege Protection/Mains Conditioner/Frequency Interference filters.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Van Damme 4mm HiFi speaker cable 2 x 0.75m long and Van Damme balanced starquad XLR microphone cables , they seem to give the music a real hefty kick *biggrin* .

A couple of Kimber Hero balanced XLR quad core interconnects left over from years ago but still work perfectly .

Some Maplin digital spdif cables .

iceman16

Im using MIT AVt MA speaker cables, MIT matrix 12 xlr and Chord powerchord mains cable upgraded to MS-hd plug and IEGO iec.

For the bedroom is TQ black s/c, Chord anthem rca and powerchord upgraded aswell

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I have RCA cables by QED, Van Damme and Realistic/Tandy. They vary in original RRP ranging from £7 up to £80 and are 0.5 meter up to 5 meter in length. Some are silver plated and some are just OFC. Also they vary in age from 20 years old to brand new and I can't tell the difference between any of them. They are all perfectly adequate audio signal conductors and do the job.

My digital cables are all cheap fibre optic toslink ones form Amazon or eBay, with the exception of one Cambridge Audio coaxial cable. They all work just fine.

Subwoofer cables by Cambridge Audio because they were a good price suitable in their 7 meter length and very visually discrete.

Speaker cables vary from QED Silver Aniversary, to Radio Shack 16 gauge OFC. I think the QED Silver brings a little more top end detail out compared to the cheap Radio Shack cable. Other than that I can't really notice any changes.

That's all 20 odd years worth of collecting stuff used in 2 different systems.

I've also got spare cables I haven't used in ages such as Gale XL-315 speaker cable and Sonic Link interconnects. Again just stuff I've acquired over the years.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I honestly can't remember, except for a 3-metre pair of double-shielded Canare interconnects I bought to connect my sub to the preamp. I think they were around £35.

GURU

Nov 7, 2008
Visit site
Running an all Balanced system - All cables were purchased used/second hand at ridiculously reduced prices compared to (in my opinion), their original exorbitant recommended retail prices to which I would never consider paying ...I'm surprised more people don't buy or at least consider buying used/second hand cables.

Audioquest "Lapis" Interconnects (originally fitted with RCA plugs to which I cut off and replaced with Neutrik Balanced plugs), between CD player and Pre-amp.

Ixos "Ixotica" (Prototypes, again originally fitted with RCA plugs to which I cut off and replaced with Neutrik Balanced plug), between Pre and Monoblocks.

Speaker cables are - QED Genesis Silver Spiral and Van Den Hul "The Teatrack" Hybrid

Arcam rBlink aptX > basic 'freebie' RCA - RCA (yellow coloured connector ends - supplied with a Yamaha BD-S1900) as Digital Coaxial > standard BNC adaptor > Hegel HD30 > basic XLR - XLR cables > Hegel H30 > basic 500 strand OFC speaker cables > Monitor Audio Gold 300's.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts