What cables for a Primare BD32?

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Recently purchased Primare BD32 and SPA23, looking to use the multichannel analogue outputs instead of HDMI for the audio.

The question is... How much should I have to spend on the interconnects to get the best out of the system... obviously the dealer recommends a brand of cable he thinks sounds best, but spending £800 on 4 pairs of JPS Lab cables seems a tad expensive.

Realistically how much should I spend and are there any makes I should consider first?

Thanks in advance.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
why would you want to use the multichannel analgue outs over hdmi? hdmi would give you a perfect signal whereas the multichannels are open to degredation.

So, if you want the best sound quality just use the hdmi....

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Apparently the Primare has audiophile DACs and capacitors... don’t get me wrong the sound through HDMI is great, I just want to hear it through analogue to make my decision.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
in that case I'd have a word with the dealer who was trying to sell you 800 quids worth of cables and ask to borrow them. If he says no, then you know he's full of (insert rude word here).

To be honest, imho, some normal phono to phono cables should give you a rough idea of if the output will be any better from the analogue outputs, then if you like that, you can see about getting some more expensive ones...

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Cheeseboy

I was going to purchase some Atlas interconnects, 5 stars from What HiFi and only £37 a pair, they should give me an idea of what to expect.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
was just thinking actually. Do you have an interconnect you already use that you just test with. Just go analogue from the player to the amp and listen to a cd, then do the same with the hdmi. Should give you an instant idea about the differences between the dacs in the two units...

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
When I set up this combination we use the 2ch XLR out from the BD32 for CD and HDMI for the rest. For clients looking for mulitchannel audio we then also connect up the analogue outs. The sound from the BD32 is superior on 2ch but for movies I would send the signal on. As mentioned above I would look to try them out and see what you prefer. Everyone has a recommendation but it is what works best for you.

It is a great pairing and one that really nails it for music as well as home cinema. It would be a good test against the Arcam AVR750

Hi iainl2005

I'll recommend that you should also look at using basic interconnects. Fwiw, as i write this the system i've got a system playing in the background which is connected using basic cables -

Yamaha CD-S300 > basic interconnect (yellow coloured plug ends supplied with a Blu Ray player) used a coax digital > Naim DAC > basic interconnects (supplied with a Trio M-50 Midi system - purchased in 1986) > Plinius Hiato

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If you want to use some XLRs to set it up as Nick has suggested then may I suggest these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-3M-Blue-Proel-Livewire-Male-to-Female-XLR-Cables-/151128817192?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cables_Leads_Connectors&hash=item232ffabe28

I use (a shorter version) of these between my primare cd31, pre30 and a33.2. They sound the same as the much more expensive XLRs I had before that.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Nick

Unfortunately the SPA23 doesnt have balanced XLR inputs... found that out last week.

I am very happy with the sound through HDMi, though reading through some articles online it is recommended to get the best sound you should go down the analogue route, I do know this is a matter of taste however. What level of analogue do you use when demoing the BD32?

It was a close call between the Primare and the AVR750, having lived with the AVR600 and BDP100 for a few years I just fancied something different, and its great being able to watch a film, skip chapters and pause, without having to constantly play with lipsync which was a major bugbear.

iainl2005

Jun 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your feedback, when you say basic cable, how basic do you mean?

I was going to purchase Atlas interconnects at around £40 a pair.

Thanks

Iain

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
That will be me confusing the receiver and the processor - Doh!

I would still use the analogue output - just RCA this time. CD playback is superior in the BD32 for sure rather than sending a signal via coax or HDMI. It is slight rather than night and day difference but to my ears the better option. I generally use the Audioquest King Cobra on this set - £215/pr as a starting point - but advise you try first as the cable debate rages on and on.

I prefer the Primare sound to Arcam but they are both very good - I can see why you would like the change.

iainl2005 said:
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your feedback, when you say basic cable, how basic do you mean?

Thanks

Iain

Hi Iain

Your welcome.

Like ones with white and red coloured plug ends which are supplied with some DVD/Blu Ray players. If you haven't got any then you should also be able buy some at your local electrical store or local market for very little money.

I find that basic/standard cables enable components and systems to breathe. Keep it simple.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Like Rick, I use standard, basic RCA interconnects (between my onkyo pre/pro and my primare a30.5). IIRC correctly three of these are the red, white and yellow ones you used to get with TVs. State of the art :)

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Go to a professional audio store and use what the pros use. They will probably make up a set to your exact measurements at a fraction of the price that the HI FI stealers charge.

razvanplay

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hy there and congrats for your configuration. I have Spa23 also and I like it but I want to upgrade a bit his internal DAC, therefore I have recently tested BD32 and bypassed the Spa23 dac, using it only as Amp. The results were better so I consider buying it these days, especially since I do want to upgrade the multichannel processing, especially for bluray concerts.. I wanted to know if you are using the BD32 in the same purpose, as a DAC, or you are just letting Spa23 do the processing? On the paper the BD32 DAC is better and for me this would be the only reason to spend the extra 3000 euro, otherwise I will just end with an OPPO 103 plus a dedicated stereo DAC like CHORD QBD76 HDSD, which I personally listened and is way over BD32 DAC, it s different league.

If a bit of toppic, sorry, I am new, I wanted just to PM you, couldn t find the option yet :D But I hope my experience helps other find multichannel solutions.

thanks!

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
^ What specifically did you find better about the multichannel sound using the analogue outs from the BD32 vs decoding done by the SPA23?

razvanplay

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hy!

Using the analogues out from the BD32 the sound was smoother, less digital in my opinion and the fellow I was with. We clearly concluded hearing the same songs it had a quite impact the DA processing made by BD32, which is also backed by price and specification.

As I don t have a big collection of blu ray's and CD's and I am switching to digital, I have some doubts wether to invest in that much in a universal player like BD32 or just get a decent transport and use the Spa23 DAC, which is decent IMO. I cannot make a decision between OPPO 103 and 105 and rest if the money put in a the Chord QBD76 which really is a good starting point for further stereo upgrading. I really felt by listening that there is big fluctuance in sound quality from different BD players even if used as transport with digital out ( either Spdif or HDMI) that s why I m reluctant to 103 and i would go with 105 or maybe CA 752 or similar, for a better transport.

If any comments please share..

TRENDING THREADS