what cable do i need to stream from laptop to zeppelin air?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ontheline said:
chebby said:
I'm out of this one.

One lead is all you need. (USB or optical).

Good luck with all the extra convertors/boxes etc. if you decide to go down that road. (Really no need.)

I suspect the Zeppelin Air is not the right device for you.

sure i would have done the same thing, i won't be buying any converters or boxes as you mentioned but i will buy a USB lead of some sort and try it, see what happens. thanks anyway.

i have just bought this i will try this it seems to have the right USB connection same as on the zep so i'll give that a try.

That should work fine. No drivers needed, just select the Zep in the dropdown menu, Alt-click the speaker icon.

FWIW, if the settings are correct, Airplay should sound the same as wired, if it is noticeably different, something is going wrong.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Did you read the instructions? Just connect it with a USB cable you dilbert.

If you wish to listen to audio either stored or streamed on your Mac/PC using the Zeppelin Air USB input, connect it using a USB cable from a Mac/PC USB socket.

Note: A USB A-B cable (a USB printer cable) is required if you wish to connect your ZeppelinAir to a Mac/PC for any use other than wireless AirPlay streaming. For reliable operation the cable should not exceed 3m (10 ft) in length. The Zeppelin Air should be connected directly to the Mac/PC USB port and not via any intermediate USB hardware.

haha this has been the most helpful response so far. i've bought the cable, i never read the instructions so i think i'm on the right track now. i will tell you how it worked out. thanks for your help dilbert....hahaha

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ontheline said:
Gazzip said:

If you wish to listen to audio either stored or streamed on your Mac/PC using the Zeppelin Air USB input, connect it using a USB cable from a Mac/PC USB socket.

Note: A USB A-B cable (a USB printer cable) is required if you wish to connect your ZeppelinAir to a Mac/PC for any use other than wireless AirPlay streaming. For reliable operation the cable should not exceed 3m (10 ft) in length. The Zeppelin Air should be connected directly to the Mac/PC USB port and not via any intermediate USB hardware.

haha this has been the most helpful response so far. i've bought the cable, i never read the instructions so i think i'm on the right track now. i will tell you how it worked out. thanks for your help dilbert....hahaha

Although I am the guy spending his Saturday afternoon reading instruction manuals for a product I do not own on behalf of a guy I have never met. I guess I may be the Dilbert here.....

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
FWIW, if the settings are correct, Airplay should sound the same as wired, if it is noticeably different, something is going wrong.

The OP said that he is interested in hi-res music. So AirPlay vs wired means CD-quality vs hi-res audio. We don't know how good his ears are…

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
ontheline said:
Gazzip said:

Although I am the guy spending his Saturday afternoon reading instruction manuals for a product I do not own on behalf of a guy I have never met. I guess I may be the Dilbert here.....

haha, i recall reading the instructions a while back but not reading anything about this so that is why i started the topic here, your fine it really is me who's the dilbert, your are just being helpful to a dilbert of a guy you have never met..lol thanks much appreciated.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I HAVE JUST CONNECTED THE CABLE AND IT'S WORKING FROM THE IMAC WITH THE PRINTER CABLE, IS IT POSSIBLE TO BLOW UP MY ZEPPELIN SPEAKERS , I NEVER REALIZED BUT THE VOLUME ON MY IMAC WAS ON IT'S HIGHEST AND THE SOUND THAT CAME OUT MY ZEPPELIN SPEAKER NO JOKE NEARLY GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK, I SERIOUSLY SHAT MYSELF AND I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO TURN IT DOWN I JUMPED UP AND NEARLY PULLED THE SPEAKER OFF IT'S WALL BRACKET TRYING TO GET THE MUSIC OFF QUICK, THEN AFTER A DEAFNING 10 SECS I REALIZED THAT THE VOLUME IS CONTROLLED AT THE TOP OF THE ITUNES SCREEN. I WOULD HAVE REALLY APPRECIATED A WARNING!

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
i am now streaming michael jackson's hi res thriller album from my itunes library to my zeppelin and it sounds excellent. thank you for all the good advice.

i've had my zeppelin for over 2 years and im just finding this out now, now i can play any song in my itunes library without the need to overfill my ipod touch. this is fabulous although my heart is still pounding from that burst of voulume.

thriller hi res sounds exceptional through the zeppelin air much better than thriller remastered cd wav files.

anyone else with a zeppelin tried hi res music through their zeppelin?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ontheline said:
I SERIOUSLY SHAT MYSELF

Really? Hopefully you've cleaned up before posting again, but you might try asking B&W whether they'd like to use that in their ads to demonstrate how loud the Zepp will play. ;-)

By the way, how are you streaming hi-res from an iTunes library? Just wondering...

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
sorry didn't actually haha but that maybe explained how scared and how seriously loud that was, i play my zeppelin very loud at most times but feeding it through USB it's unbelievable, hopefully not damaged the speakers. i bought the thriller hi res album off qobuz website and the download from there the tunes went directly to my itunes library. so like all the other tracks purchased and created from CD rip in my itunes library i am able to play those tracks through the zeppelin.

TRENDING THREADS