what cable do i need to stream from laptop to zeppelin air?

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks for that advice but just reading the review on the zeppelin from what hifi it says and i quote " USB means you can stream from a laptop" " You can stream music directly from your laptop's USB socket." i have a imac but i assume i can do the same thing also. it continues by saying " of all the listening methods, we found this to give the very best sound quality, just edging out a docked ipod/iphone in terms of dynamics and detail."

so i am wanting to give this a try, is using Airplay the same thing?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just read the specs on your pruduct web page (or instructions).

You'll find you can use a Mini-Toslink optical connection from the 3.5mm mini-jack socket on your Zep and from your iMac. Both ends have 3.5mm mini-jack sockets that double as Mini-Toslink optical connections too.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Pearl-Mini-Toslink-Optical-Special/dp/B00856P9C0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424517965&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+toslink+to+optical

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
do you think this would do the trick? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7KR492?psc=1 i can't see where this would go into my imac tho, there are only 2 hole connections on my imac the headphone one and one other which im not sure what it's used for. once i connect the cable will music i play from my imac play straight from the speaker?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ontheline said:
do you think this would do the trick? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B7KR492?psc=1

Nope.

Try something that looks like this ...

perf_mini_toslink_m.jpg

You'll see it has the mini-Toslink connections at BOTH ends and they plug into the 3.5mm mini-jack sockets (they look like headphone sockets) on your Zep and on your iMac...

252859-bowers-wilkins-zeppelin-air-back.jpg

... in this case 'aux' on your Zep Air.

According to B&W the aux doubles as optical digital ...

"Inputs

iPod® / iPhone® (30-pin connector or Lightning connector)
Network (RJ45 Ethernet or Wi-Fi)
Auxiliary - analogue / optical digital (3.5mm mini jack)
Streaming, synchronization & firmware upgrades (USB 2.0)"

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks again for your help with this but i'm still confused as reading the review it mentions USB "USB means you can stream from a laptop" how do i stream using USB for the best sound quality. no disrespect but it doesn't mention anything about a toslik cable. i am simply looking to find out how i stream music directly from my USB socket on my imac. i don't want to be buying unnecessary cables if it's more simpler with using USB.

THIS IS THE SECTION of the review from what hi fi mentioning USB. i just don't understand what i need in order to do this and is it just a case of simply connecting 1 cable from imac to zeppelin.

USB means you can stream from a laptop[/b]

The USB input fitted to the Zeppelin Air is used for firmare updates – and you can now sync a docked iPod or iPhone. You can also stream music directly from your laptop’s USB socket.

Of all the listening methods, we found this to give the very best sound quality, just edging out a docked iPod/iPhone in terms of dynamics and detail.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/bw/zeppelin-air/review#X1Kmco9BxyJZmIEV.99

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you are trying to keep the audio out socket free on your laptop for some reason then you could output via USB in to an SPDIF converter and go in through the Aux Input on your Zep.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ontheline said:
thanks again for your help with this but i'm still confused as reading the review it mentions USB "USB means you can stream from a laptop" how do i stream using USB for the best sound quality. no disrespect but it doesn't mention anything about a toslik cable. i am simply looking to find out how i stream music directly from my USB socket on my imac. i don't want to be buying unnecessary cables if it's more simpler with using USB.

THIS IS THE SECTION of the review from what hi fi mentioning USB. i just don't understand what i need in order to do this and is it just a case of simply connecting 1 cable from imac to zeppelin.

USB means you can stream from a laptop

The USB input fitted to the Zeppelin Air is used for firmare updates – and you can now sync a docked iPod or iPhone. You can also stream music directly from your laptop’s USB socket.

Of all the listening methods, we found this to give the very best sound quality, just edging out a docked iPod/iPhone in terms of dynamics and detail.

Read more at http://www.whathifi.com/bw/zeppelin-air/review#X1Kmco9BxyJZmIEV.99

Not according to the instructions which state it is for software updates.....

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Gazzip said:
If you are trying to keep the audio out socket free on your laptop for some reason then you could output via USB in to an SPDIF converter and go in through the Aux Input on your Zep.

i have an imac sorry im no good at this stuff what in the world is a SPDIF converter, this is confusing things even more. lol

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think you are trying to overcomplicate things. You have plenty of options. AirPlay (as Dave suggested) and streaming via USB or via optical (the option I explained).

You can even use a simple 3.5mm analogue lead.

What else do you want?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Although there is no audio benefit in doing this on the cheap as they are just converters. If you spend more then you can get an asynchronous USB converter which will allow high res streaming via USB but I think you would be wasting your money if you were running one of those in to a Zep. Zeps sound great for what they are but they don't need hi res music.

Notwithstanding all of the above there is nothing wrong with AirPlay in this situation as I don't think any improvement from a wired connection would be even remotely perceivable.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
the only one gripe that what hi fi gave the zeppelin in the review was that using Airplay results in a driop in sound quality so that is why im not using airplay. USB as mentioned in the review is the the way i wanted to try but not sure what i need to order to do this? maybe the guy who wrote the review on the zeppelin would be able to simplify this better. thanks for your replys, im reading up on the converter thing maybe that is what i need in order to strem from USB which is what im wanting to test out.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
chebby thanks i now know the options i have which is great but how do i go about setting up the USB option do i need the converter and some USB cable, i really do not know what cable i need the aux as you explained is different from usb or will it give the same sound quality as the usb option?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'm out of this one.

One lead is all you need. (USB or optical).

Good luck with all the extra convertors/boxes etc. if you decide to go down that road. (Really no need.)

I suspect the Zeppelin Air is not the right device for you.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
AirPlay should be the easiest option. Just make sure that the Zeppelin is configured for your network, and select it as output device in your computer.

Audio resolution through AirPlay is limited to 44.1KHz/16-bit, though, and since you mentioned hi-res music you will have to go with USB or optical. I would try USB first—probably, you already have a cable you can use. Open Audio MIDI Setup from Application/Utilities and see if you can select 96KHz/24-bit as audio resolution.

An advantage of plugging the speakers on the USB port instead of optical is that, depending on the software, you can play music through the Zeppelin and still get the OS ding-dongs on your computer speakers. This can be done with AirPlay, too.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
I'm out of this one.

One lead is all you need. (USB or optical).

Good luck with all the extra convertors/boxes etc. if you decide to go down that road. (Really no need.)

I suspect the Zeppelin Air is not the right device for you.

sure i would have done the same thing, i won't be buying any converters or boxes as you mentioned but i will buy a USB lead of some sort and try it, see what happens. thanks anyway.

i have just bought this i will try this it seems to have the right USB connection same as on the zep so i'll give that a try.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you read the instructions? Just connect it with a USB cable you dilbert.

If you wish to listen to audio either stored or streamed on your Mac/PC using the Zeppelin Air USB input, connect it using a USB cable from a Mac/PC USB socket.

Note: A USB A-B cable (a USB printer cable) is required if you wish to connect your Zeppelin
Air to a Mac/PC for any use other than wireless AirPlay streaming. For reliable operation the cable should not exceed 3m (10 ft) in length. The Zeppelin Air should be connected directly to the Mac/PC USB port and not via any intermediate USB hardware.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
unsleepable said:
AirPlay should be the easiest option. Just make sure that the Zeppelin is configured for your network, and select it as output device in your computer.

Audio resolution through AirPlay is limited to 44.1KHz/16-bit, though, and since you mentioned hi-res music you will have to go with USB or optical. I would try USB first—probably, you already have a cable you can use. Open Audio MIDI Setup from Application/Utilities and see if you can select 96KHz/24-bit as audio resolution.

An advantage of plugging the speakers on the USB port instead of optical is that, depending on the software, you can play music through the Zeppelin and still get the OS ding-dongs on your computer speakers. This can be done with AirPlay, too.

that is the problem i don't have any USB cable and don't know which one i need?

TRENDING THREADS