What benefits in pairing like with like i.e. same make and model no.?

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello all

I'm still umming and ahing over my hifi purchase.

My present thinking is:

1. Exposure 1010 amp

2. Cambridge Audio Azur 651c CD player

3. Q Acoustic 2050is

I wanted your thoughts on the benefits of pairing like models and makes together. For instance, I could pair the Exposure 1010 amp with the Exposure 1010 CDP, and the CA 651c with the 651a.

They are supposed to be designed with each other in mind. Indeed, they are usually reviewed thus.

What I'd like to know is, how true you think this is in actuality?

The 651c has a higher spec than the 1010 CDP and has a useful coaxial out.

As ever, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Throppers

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello PP

A sensible proposition but Richer Sounds is the only stockist of Cambridge Audio and they don't stock Exposure, more's the pity.

Throppers

Thropplenoggin said:
Hello PP

A sensible proposition but Richer Sounds is the only stockist of Cambridge Audio and they don't stock Exposure, more's the pity.

Throppers

I know - that's where hi-fi cunning comes into the fray. Can't go into detail as I could land myself in a little bother.... If Mo can't go to the mountain then shift the mountain to MO. Geddit?

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Manufacturers used to make a big thing about same system compatibility, but there is no science to it and standard interfaces give you to option to mix it up. If you cannot directly audition your preferred options then I have, in the past, auditioned separately and picked a third item ( common to both dealers) as a reference point. In my case, it was an Arcam CD player, and I ended up buying the reference rather than the ones I had short listed from reviews!

Manufacturers quite often bring our CD and Amp at the same time hoping to catch buyers who might think they have to go together.

Whilst they will do so quite nicely you can often get better sounds / value by buying seperately as you intend.

The set-up you list should go together very nicely and personally I'd take the Exposure over the CA amp any day of the week.

The CA 651c player is, however, a very decent bit of kit and well worth the money (and some say a whole lot more!)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thropplenoggin said:

This is the key isn't it?

You would only need the co-axial out if you have (or plan to use) a seperate DAC and therefore only need a CD transport.

This makes the CA 651C vs Exposure 1010 CD player decision 'redundant' because a suitable transport need only be a really basic player costing a fraction of either model.

An example might be the CA 351C which is only £249 and has the required coax (and optical) digtal output. That saves you £100 (or £200) over the cost of your posted options. (It's also a 5 star WHF? rated player in it's own right if that matters.)

That would be more than capable enough as a transport.

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
Thropplenoggin said:

This is the key isn't it?

You would only need the co-axial out if you have (or plan to use) a seperate DAC and therefore only need a CD transport.

This makes the CA 651C vs Exposure 1010 CD player decision 'redundant' because a suitable transport need only be a really basic player costing a fraction of either model.

An example might be the CA 351C which is only £249 and has the required coax (and optical) digtal output. That saves you £100 (or £200) over the cost of your posted options. (It's also a 5 star WHF? rated player in it's own right if that matters.)

That would be more than capable enough as a transport.

Thanks, Chebby.

You make an excellent point.

I was thinking of doing this and using the Musical Fidelity V90 Dac, available in some places now for £170. However, the reviews I've read of the 651c suggest it is a very good CDP, digging out a lot of detail and comparable with CDPs 2-3 times as expensive.

Throppers

matthewpiano

If you need a DAC for computer/USB connectivity then the cheaper CD player + DAC route would be sensible and, as Chebby says, the 351C will make a more than acceptable transport. In fact it is equipped with the same S3 servo as the 651C.

However, if you have no plans to use the additional digital connectivity the 651C will save you money and give you superb sound. It is a great CD player - quite possibly, on a performance per pound basis, the best thing CA make.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thropplenoggin said:
I was thinking of doing this and using the Musical Fidelity V90 Dac, available in some places now for £170. However, the reviews I've read of the 651c suggest it is a very good CDP, digging out a lot of detail and comparable with CDPs 2-3 times as expensive.

Throppers

Most of which ability you will be bypassing with an external DAC, leaving the 651C as just another CD drive mechanism (and it's power supply) in a box.

FWIW I have looked at the internals of both 351C and 651C models and the same CD1 drive and S3 servo units are employed in both.

http://archive.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/651C-S3.jpg

http://www.afmerate.com/v1/imm/2174g.jpg

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, Chebby and Matthewpiano.

Thoughtful, insightful, and genuinely helpful replies as always.

I'm going to make a decision in the coming weeks...will report back when I have!

Best wishes,

Throppers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts